Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 AM

480 posts, read 667,987 times

Advertisements

I have a child who is fearful of dogs. Wish she wasn't, but that's life. Same fear as fear of elevators, claustrophobia, or airplanes.

We were at the park, and several dog owners decided to bring their dogs to the children's playground. Rules stated no dogs in children's playground. The park was over 100 acres, and featured a nice size dog park in a different area. But no, the people insisted on walking their dogs through the children's playground.

Why? I glared at one owner who brought their giant bulldog into the children's play area. She looked back, and said he's friendly, and just wants to spend time with his friends (several other dogs nearby, also in the children's playground).

I have no problem with dogs or dog owners, but wish that they'd provide the space needed for my child.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Some think that their dogs ARE children!

Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
People are letting their dogs off leash to run around in the fenced children's playground? Do they belong to people who also have kids playing there? Seems odd if not.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM

965 posts, read 938,350 times
Default Because they think they can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I have a child who is fearful of dogs. Wish she wasn't, but that's life. Same fear as fear of elevators, claustrophobia, or airplanes.

We were at the park, and several dog owners decided to bring their dogs to the children's playground. Rules stated no dogs in children's playground. The park was over 100 acres, and featured a nice size dog park in a different area. But no, the people insisted on walking their dogs through the children's playground.

Why? I glared at one owner who brought their giant bulldog into the children's play area. She looked back, and said he's friendly, and just wants to spend time with his friends (several other dogs nearby, also in the children's playground).

I have no problem with dogs or dog owners, but wish that they'd provide the space needed for my child.
Because they think the laws don't apply to them.

You might want to contact your city's park and rec department, and ask them what the law is in relation to this. Print it out, and carry a copy or 2. Tell someone, don't really on giving them dirty looks, use your words (calmly) explain the phobia and point out dogs are not allowed.

I can't even believe I am saying it... depending I what the department says... You might have the police on your cell, and call them if need be. Do it in front of the owner.

As much as I ABHORE extra laws (hate, hate hate these laws), and those imposed on pet owners it is for this very reason that we have laws like those at your park. Grrrrr.....

Btw, I have friends, and family that pull this kind of thing and it really bothers me. I carry. Extra poo bags for them, and if they refuse to pick up their dogs poo I will do it, AND carry it. Then I will never walk with them again. It has never happened that they didn't eventually take the poo bag from me. I do not want further restrictive laws placed on me (my pets).

My pets are like my children, but when my children were small, (without laws) I did not allow my children to run wild in restaurants, nor did I take them to plays and operas, etc.... Some people will always assume because their dog loves children, or their children loves dogs that it will be ok.

I know someone personally who allowed their child to run up to a strange dog and hug it, the child ended up with stitches on his face.
The dog was on leash, no laws were broken, and the dog had no history of issues with children. Child was raised with a tolerant dog, and had no idea it was in the dogs space. It was up to the parent, and dog owner to protect both the child nd the dog. Luckily the child's parent was a dog lover and understood their part I it. The child mostly had hurt feelings that the dog didn't like him - phew
Still.... Had they pressed charges it would have seriously affected the dog.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Because there aren't enough dog playgrounds?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,290 times
That's frustrating if they're violating posted laws, I'd consider contacting your town parks department as well as their animal control division.

In regards to your daughters phobia I'd strongly encourage you to work with her and help her to get past fear, she doesn't need to love dogs, just be able to be in the same room with awell trained dog. I only say this because pet ownership is popular and dogs are everywhere these days.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:51 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Because there aren't enough dog playgrounds?
The OP pointed out that there was a nice sized designated dog area in the same park. No, this happened strictly because these people think the world revolves around them and only what they want matters. I love, love, love dogs. Aside from just plain being wonderful souls, I think that dogs enrich their owners' lives in ways that can not be replicated by any other means. I have found my middle school students whose families had dogs just seemed less likely to be depressed. But as big of a dog fan as I am, I am also sick and tired of dog owners forgetting that their dogs do not have the same status or rights as humans in public areas. We had a person on this board who proudly declared they take their non-service dog into rest stop bathrooms right past the "no dogs" sign, clearly not caring if they break the rules or if their actions would negatively impact a person who is fearful of dogs or has allergies. At some point there is going to be an ugly backlash and it is going to negatively impact all dogs and their owners since there is an indication that common sense and/or common courtesy is no longer working, meaning it will require zero tolerance laws/regulations, much like breed-specific bans.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:19 AM

8 posts, read 7,011 times
That is annoying. So are people who let children run around in a DOG park. My dog barks at children so I have to stop my dog or leave.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimaro1 View Post
That is annoying. So are people who let children run around in a DOG park. My dog barks at children so I have to stop my dog or leave.
Yes, that is just as annoying and it is all part of the same issue - people thinking they are an exception to the rules.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimaro1 View Post
The dog park near me has signs that clearly state "No kids under 12" and yet they're always there. I've left quite a few times due to some fat toddler sitting on my dog and pulling his ears while his clueless parent says "He just wants to love on your dog". Sure. Maybe you should teach your kid how to treat a dog before another less tolerant dog bites his face.

Why can't parents and dog owners obey the signs and stay out of areas where they're not welcome?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs