Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,999 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone take their dogs inside a designated playground for children? Signs or no signs, common sense would dictate: running, screaming and curious little people + a dog that may get startled by the screaming and an urge to chase what is running = potential disaster. Also, even if you pick up after your dog, there are remnants of poop or pee that you can't pick up on places where the kids are playing.

In the meantime, OP will need to accept the inevitable - people love their dogs. They will do what they want. Her daughter will need to learn ways to manage her phobia and not expect others to change for her sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 PM

335 posts, read 620,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
There was a poster a while back who thought dogs should be banned from all stores (even when the store specifically allowed them) because their kid was afraid of dogs and freaked out even when a dog on leash was in their vicinity. That kid seemed to have an irrational fear/phobia since a leashed dog is under human control and couldn't approach them. Maybe the OP can find that post and see if the parent came up with a good way to desensitize their kid to dogs and would be willing to share.

The OP of this thread is the same OP as the post you are thinking of - it was under "Non-romantic relationships." 43 pages long, started in March.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:31 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,282,359 times
Where else are pit bull owners supposed to go find kids for their dogs to eat?

I guess I'm lucky because almost every park in town has an off leash area/hours. I still prefer the actual dog park because of its size.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:16 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,150,876 times
Dog parks sound innocuous enough in theory, and they're undoubtedly well-intended, but in reality the overwhelming majority of them represent little more than roulette-styled liability concerns and should not exist. I try to be as polite as possible when saying that, but it's the truth.

Insofar as the topic title is concerned: People disregard posted signage and/or simply act without commonsense in general, and far too often. Although I will admit, I would side with the dog owner whenever there is nothing either posted or enacted by law that prevents a dog from being in a specific public area while on-leash. If there were to be a child with an irrational fear of dogs present, I would simply leave or try maintain a reasonably generous distance out of respect for that child's condition, however, and would encourage anyone else facing such a situation to do the same. The only real exception to that I could see would be where an individual with a legitimate service dog is present. In that case, it becomes the responsibility of the parent to remove the child with the irrational fear from the situation if need be.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Why would anyone take their dogs inside a designated playground for children? Signs or no signs, common sense would dictate: running, screaming and curious little people + a dog that may get startled by the screaming and an urge to chase what is running = potential disaster. Also, even if you pick up after your dog, there are remnants of poop or pee that you can't pick up on places where the kids are playing.

In the meantime, OP will need to accept the inevitable - people love their dogs. They will do what they want. Her daughter will need to learn ways to manage her phobia and not expect others to change for her sake.
as there will also be remnants of deer, raccoon, possum, rabbit, fox, skunk, squirrel, chipmunk, bird, mouse, etc. etc. pee and poop...... but I guess all of the wild pee and poop is just not as AWFUL.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post
The OP of this thread is the same OP as the post you are thinking of - it was under "Non-romantic relationships." 43 pages long, started in March.
I was pretty sure they were one and the same....

Old 09-16-2016, 08:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,916,483 times
Why? Because the parents don't say anything and let it go on.

Were they IN THE PLAYGROUND or walking PAST it?

Glaring is useless. Why didn't you all just say "No, no, no, no DOGS PERMITTED HERE" and point them away?

It's also even possible that the people have no idea because they're new and didn't look for signs.

She gave you an opportunity to say something but you didn't mention what you said when she said "He's friendly".

And why didn't you all call the city or the cops or whoever?

I'm a dog walker and never saw people walk their dogs IN a PLAYGROUND unless they had kids of their own with them, I guess.

There's nothing for dogs to do in a KID playground.

ETA: Oh, sorry, never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post

Old 09-16-2016, 11:34 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
I don't take kids or dogs either one to playgrounds, but I suspect that there are a lot of families with children who also have a dog. Both the dog and the children are taken out for their outing and walk at the same time.

Any child with a phobia about dogs needs treatment. There will be dogs everywhere she goes for her entire life and if she is afraid of dogs, she will be emotionally crippled and live in near constant fear and anxiety.

Same goes for the child's mother who thinks the rest of the world should accommodate her and teh child instead of trying to help the child fix the problem.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:49 AM

5,757 posts, read 4,716,020 times
Same reason entitled dog owners take their dogs into grocery stores, restaurants, retail stores, etc...

They just can't bear to be without their dog for any period of time, and they assume that everybody will love their dog being around. Um, no. We don't.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't take kids or dogs either one to playgrounds, but I suspect that there are a lot of families with children who also have a dog. Both the dog and the children are taken out for their outing and walk at the same time.

Any child with a phobia about dogs needs treatment. There will be dogs everywhere she goes for her entire life and if she is afraid of dogs, she will be emotionally crippled and live in near constant fear and anxiety.

Same goes for the child's mother who thinks the rest of the world should accommodate her and teh child instead of trying to help the child fix the problem.
It used to be that if a person wanted to avoid dogs, for whatever reason, they could easily do so. You could go into a mall, a restaurant, a movie theater, a gym, a school, a grocery store, a rest stop bathroom (or any bathroom), a church, a department store, the post office, or pretty much anywhere else that was not outdoors and never encounter a dog. They simply weren't allowed there. Until the last five years having a fear of dogs was not emotionally crippling, nor would it create a state of near constant fear/anxiety, it only created occasional fear or anxiety that had little to no impact on the person's life.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It used to be that if a person wanted to avoid dogs, for whatever reason, they could easily do so. You could go into a mall, a restaurant, a movie theater, a gym, a school, a grocery store, a rest stop bathroom (or any bathroom), a church, a department store, the post office, or pretty much anywhere else that was not outdoors and never encounter a dog. They simply weren't allowed there. Until the last five years having a fear of dogs was not emotionally crippling, nor would it create a state of near constant fear/anxiety, it only created occasional fear or anxiety that had little to no impact on the person's life.

Where I live, I see dogs being walked frequently by their owners on many streets and sidewalks. I've seen dogs tethered outside more than one grocery store. A dog-phobic person living in my town could not avoid dogs unless he/she never walked on the public streets and sidewalks.

When I was a child, my mother was able to take our well-behaved dogs to the doctor's office, the beauty parlor, department stores and other retail establishments. When the rules changed, she stopped doing so. That was a long time ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs