Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,417,152 times

Advertisements

Apparently, they can shoot your dog if it barks or MOVES when they enter your home.

Federal court rules police can shoot a dog if it moves or barks when officers enter a home | FOX31 Denver

My dog is a screaming lunatic when anyone besides me or my roommate tries to enter my home. That's what he's SUPPOSED to do - I'm a single woman, and I feel very safe in my house because of him. He will continue to bark (less threateningly) after people enter, but he is always under voice control and he is not hostile. He approaches any newcomer to sniff them but only interacts if invited. He's under general voice control, and I would put him away if I knew officers were going to enter my home, but ... there's too much room for error here. What if they enter my home and I'm not there?

There should not be an exceptional burden upon me to keep my dog safe on my own property. I have a good fence and my dog is not vicious and is always secured. He is supposed to raise an alarm when anyone enters the house, and I would not have it any other way. He's a scary-looking noisemaker, not an attack dog, and has never bitten a human. Anybody who knows anything about dogs would not be scared by him, but since cops aren't really trained in how to deal with dogs, he could be shot simply for being a dog on his owner's property by this standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 02:14 PM

32,703 posts, read 48,272,649 times
The police do not enter your house without good reason and they aren't going to shoot your dog unless they feel threatened by the dog. No police officer has a hobby of entering random houses for no reason and shooting sleeping gentle dogs. If the police are in your house with a legal reason, they have the right to defend themselves.

The same with dogs in back yards. If the police are in hot pursuit of a suspect and your dog attacks the police officer, the police can legally shoot your dog.

You don't have the misconception that you own your own home 100%? There are agencies that can enter, including agencies like the city inspector. Any one of those agents can legally shoot your dog if your dog attacks them. In fact, anyone else, government or not, can legally shoot your dog if your dog attacks them. Welcome to the real world.

As long as you are not a drug dealer or terrorist, there are very few reasons for the police to be inside your home when you are not there. If you are there, get your dogs under control. In non-urgent situations, if you are not there or are incapacitated, the police will call animal control to come and remove your dog.

Most police are dog lovers, but they are not punching bags for the public. They don't have to accept being hit, knifed, shot at, or bitten. They are allowed to defend themselves.

If you haven't done so already, train your dog to "out" immediately with a slightest word from you. Under a few circumstances, that might save your dog's life.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,417,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The police do not enter your house without good reason and they aren't going to shoot your dog unless they feel threatened by the dog. No police officer has a hobby of entering random houses for no reason and shooting sleeping gentle dogs. If the police are in your house with a legal reason, they have the right to defend themselves.

The same with dogs in back yards. If the police are in hot pursuit of a suspect and your dog attacks the police officer, the police can legally shoot your dog.

You don't have the misconception that you own your own home 100%? There are agencies that can enter, including agencies like the city inspector. Any one of those agents can legally shoot your dog if your dog attacks them. In fact, anyone else, government or not, can legally shoot your dog if your dog attacks them. Welcome to the real world.

As long as you are not a drug dealer or terrorist, there are very few reasons for the police to be inside your home when you are not there. If you are there, get your dogs under control. In non-urgent situations, if you are not there or are incapacitated, the police will call animal control to come and remove your dog.

Most police are dog lovers, but they are not punching bags for the public. They don't have to accept being hit, knifed, shot at, or bitten. They are allowed to defend themselves.

If you haven't done so already, train your dog to "out" immediately with a slightest word from you. Under a few circumstances, that might save your dog's life.
There have been situations where warrants have been issued to the wrong address.

I want police trained to recognize genuine danger from a common housepet - that's not unreasonable or asking them to be a punching bag. If they're that scared of dogs that they'll blow away a house pet for barking, they shouldn't be cops.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:43 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,251,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The key being IF they ATTACK.

Too many stories of perceived hostility from a dog, where all the officer has to say was "I was afraid of the dog" and that justifies gunning down a family pet.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,899,732 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke
The police do not enter your house without good reason and they aren't going to shoot your dog unless they feel threatened by the dog.
The police HAVE KILLED MANY DOGS FOR NO GOOD REASON SINCE 2000 ALONE and its sickening!!!!

PEOPLE NEED TO SUE THIER ASSES OFF!!!!! -- MAYBE THEY WOULD STOP THEN!!

Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,918,933 times
RIP Geist.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,282,846 times
We had a very sad case in 2015, where a police officer misheard or misunderstood the house number where a break-in was reported. When he went into the back yard of the wrong house, the resident shepherd bit him. You can guess the ending of that story. Awful. Cop didn't have to kill our dog, Wyckoff family says | NJ.com

Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,994,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Apparently, they can shoot your dog if it barks or MOVES when they enter your home.
This is a concern here too where I live in the upper midwest. In the last 4-5 years there have been several incidents in my area where the police have shot dogs in circumstances where the LEO was under no threat whatsoever. Here, all they have to say is that they "felt" threatened; they don't actually have to be in a situation where they are in danger. Officers shot several dogs who were in their own securely fenced backyard without any justification- the officer/s were on the other side of the fence and weren't even investigating a possible crime at that home- they stated that they felt threatened and it was done. There have been one or two in-home incidents, but fortunately these situations are pretty rare.

Similar take on dogs in cars during routine traffic stops- officer can shoot a dog in a car if they feel threatened, and it doesn't matter whether the dog is loose in the car or crated. All the officer has to say is that they felt threatened.

It is horrible and scary. Especially since most dogs will react to people in uniform- people in uniform carry themselves differently, wear uniforms, and are often moving into a dog's perceived "territory" so most dogs will bark and behave in a manner that could be perceived of as being "threatening" to a LEO who isn't dog savvy.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,508,365 times
What's the chance of a cop entering your home without you there though?

Old 12-30-2016, 11:23 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,270,497 times
Control your pet in ALL situations. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs