Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:41 PM

209 posts, read 169,245 times

Advertisements

Ok,
So my Girls pops brought home an 11 month old German shepherd today. Beautiful dog. The dog was supposedly trained to be a service dog.
The dog is into its toys, our socks, the trash, won't adhere to basic commands, and was aggressive around other dogs on its walk today.
He's gonna return the dog tomorrow as it was not as advertised:
Girl and I are tore up as we absolutely unexpectedly fell for the dog.
We think with proper training the dog would be an excellent companion.
However pops is freaked out about it, as is totally understandable.
He was referred to this breeder/ trainer by the VA.
Just another blunder by them.
I dunno, just sad at them moment.
Fell hard for the goofy dog and I'm not a dog guy, I'm a cat guy.
Thanks for listening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 07:29 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
I don't what "girl pops" is... your Mom? and your Dad right?

Why not get a trainer for them to help them keep the dog?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-01-2017, 08:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTankah View Post
Ok,
So my Girls pops brought home an 11 month old German shepherd today. Beautiful dog. The dog was supposedly trained to be a service dog.
The dog is into its toys, our socks, the trash, won't adhere to basic commands, and was aggressive around other dogs on its walk today.
He's gonna return the dog tomorrow as it was not as advertised:
Girl and I are tore up as we absolutely unexpectedly fell for the dog.
We think with proper training the dog would be an excellent companion.
However pops is freaked out about it, as is totally understandable.
He was referred to this breeder/ trainer by the VA.
Just another blunder by them.
I dunno, just sad at them moment.
Fell hard for the goofy dog and I'm not a dog guy, I'm a cat guy.
Thanks for listening

I'm not an expert on service dogs; but I think 11 months old is too young to begin a career as a service dog. Most service dogs are still in training at that time; and are ready at some point between 18-24 months, I think.

If "pops" needs a service dog; then this dog is obviously not for him. If your family wants a pet; then perhaps you could keep the dog and properly train him/her.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I'm not an expert on service dogs; but I think 11 months old is too young to begin a career as a service dog. Most service dogs are still in training at that time; and are ready at some point between 18-24 months, I think.

If "pops" needs a service dog; then this dog is obviously not for him. If your family wants a pet; then perhaps you could keep the dog and properly train him/her.

Good luck.
It sounds like the dog was "supposed to be" in training as a service dog.

It flunked out of school, for reasons that appear obvious.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:42 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,467,290 times
A dog is not an appliance you return if it's not functioning. It's a sensitive living creature. It takes weeks to months for the new dog to adjust to their new home and people. A GSD needs lot of training, exercise and time spent with the owner. A lot depends on the communication between handler and dog.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:51 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Your girlfriend's dad did the equivalent of bringing home a 15 year old boy. Ever met a perfectly-behaved teenager? I certainly haven't.

There's nothing wrong with the dog that training, exercise, and some added maturity won't fix.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:55 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
The LAST Step before a SD is Placed is to go thru training With the dog making sure the dog Listens to the person. And the Person knows the dogs commands. Dogs are Spayed/Castrated got thru Tons of testing along the way to judge progress! 1st yr they live as Pets getting Housetrained & Socolized & Basic Commands. 2nd year they are place in groups for Training! NO WAY THIS DOG IS TRAINED! BTW the VA does Not buy dogs for Vets.... unless the Vet needs a Guide Dog!

Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 AM

30,566 posts, read 16,256,699 times
11 months is still a puppy. If you're not ready or have the patience to spend time training, you probably should return the poor dog.

Don't get another dog before you're ready to commit. As mentioned above, dogs are living things, not toys to be passed on.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:13 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,564,077 times
Are you sure it is a pure bread?

Old 07-02-2017, 06:24 AM

209 posts, read 169,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
11 months is still a puppy. If you're not ready or have the patience to spend time training, you probably should return the poor dog.

Don't get another dog before you're ready to commit. As mentioned above, dogs are living things, not toys to be passed on.
You don't say.
I've had animals my whole life.
The dog went after another dog and knocked a young girl over in the process.
The dog had supposedly been living with a trainer and should have listened/ understood basic commands.
That's what he was told.
The dog didn't understand sit, lay, come.
It's a crap situation.
But the legal ramifications from a dog attacking another and knocking over and cutting up a kid are serious as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs