Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,758,364 times

Advertisements

I wish you the best of luck. I would never keep a dog in an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 04:27 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I wish you the best of luck. I would never keep a dog in an apartment.
Why not? Dogs don't care where they live, as long as their exercise needs (which differ from dog to dog) are met daily. The problem is that some people are too lazy, or uninformed, to provide that kind of exercise - then wonder why the dog is tearing up their apartment, and blame it on "not having a house/yard." Honestly, I think it's almost BETTER to have a dog in an apartment, since it forces both of you to get those daily walks! I like being required to get MY exercise too, and actually lost 50lbs within the first year of having my dog.

Not to mention, a yard isn't going to provide them with sufficient exercise and mental stimulation. I'm afraid I'd get lazy with a big yard; then not only would I gain weight, but the dog would eventually get bored with running around the same grass.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM

93 posts, read 64,201 times
Thank you all for your helpful responses and suggestions. I truly appreciate it!

P.S. - The reason I must have a small dog (10 lbs or under) is because I have back problems and should not lift more than (approx) 10 lbs.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 AM

143 posts, read 144,794 times
Does your back problem cause you to have problems bending over? In order to pick your dog up you are going to have to bend over. Training will involve a lot of standing bent over. I have back problems and I refuse to have a dog shorter than 13 inches. I need to be able to reach the dog on the floor to play while sitting comfortably in a chair. I can reach the dogs collar while standing up with less difficulty. I now have a 22 pound, 15" at the shoulder dog and I would not want one much smaller. I miss my large dog who I did not have to sit down to interact with.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:20 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,228,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm advising a coworker right now on how to keep her cavalier from barking at EVERY little stimuli. A one-dog example, but they're not always quiet.

Poms are known for their yappiness, but my mother's dog is very good about not barking.

I honestly think this won't be a problem if your'e not getting a puppy though, OP. Adopt an adult dog from a rescue that can tell you what its personality is. You won't need to have a specific breed in mind. I have a kelpie, for example - he clearly has herding instinct and likely came from working lines. But he is the most undignified and least intense animal I've ever encountered. He's the perfect dog, but doesn't have a hint of that hard-nosed nature you expect from hardcore working lines. I've had hound dogs that were just yard dogs - no roaming for them. They'd sit in the yard and hang out in the sun all day with no desire to chase a rabbit.

And there are some larger dogs that do just fine in apartments.

Since you're home a lot, that also changes the equation with energy levels too in some ways.
Agree with all above. Glad you are looking at an adult orsenior. No way of telling which puppy is going to end up a high energy barker. Training, like raising a child, only goes so far, we are all born with a certain disposition and they don't always follow breed lines.
A foster mom/dad will know whether the dog is right or not. But be careful there too, I was shocked when a Rottie rescue pawned off a Rottie off on a work acquaintance that was totally inappropriate for her, then blamed her when it didn't work out.

Others have suggested and I would second Italian Greyhound rescue or look for a similar looking mix. Greyhounds are notorious loungers. You could probably have a full size one in a small apt pretty easily if you have somewhere to give it a run everyday. Italian Greyhounds fairly delicate and mixed with something smaller. Of course they are rare enough that all the mixes you see on line aren't actually IG mixes but that's ok.
Also look at Rat terriers, smaller than IGs and a little less terror than some

Be aware - many small breeds, especially those without much hair - hate pottying outside when its cold or pouring rain. In fairness when your leg is only as big around as a pen (think chihuhua) it doesn't take long to freeze through. But generally speaking you will have to be very on point with potty scheduling, potty signals and maybe even paper pottying during bad weather. It just tends to be what it is with a lot of very small dogs.

Here is an example of a good candidate

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/34136437

I would just put your specifics in petfinder as much as possible, your zipcode and go through the ads. Lots of groups have facebook pages too.

Last edited by Giesela; 09-23-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 06:35 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
If you feel you cannot live without a dog in an apartment get the Elite Small Dog bark collar. It conditions them very quickly to not bark and no training required.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
I'd just add that you should seriously consider how much the dog will shed. I love my rat terrier (standard size about 20 pounds). She's the best dog I've ever had. BUT, she sheds buckets of tiny stickery hairs that must have some kind of barbs on them, because they stick in carpets, clothing, upholstery, etc., and do not easily vacuum up or wash out, even in washer and dryer full cycles. To clean my truck, I'll need to take a pumice stone to the hairs and constantly keep vacuuming up the hairs as they are loosened. You can see YouTube videos about how hard this job is (or of course, pay a premium to a detailer to do it for you).

And it's not just this breed, or she's the worst I've had (and she's healthy with a great coat - so it's the breed). But, any short hair dog will have hairs that are hard to clean up. But, even long-haired dogs will shed and you will be dealing with dog hair.

So, my next dog will be a poodle. I had filtered down my desired breeds to be rat terrier or poodle. I thought having to continually groom a poodle would be expensive or a hassle. But, dealing with little dog hairs everywhere is worse, from my experience.

Hence, I'd look for a hairless dog or a poodle, if I was you. I wouldn't want to worry about a hairless dog getting sunburn, etc., so my next dog will be a poodle.

I also adopt adult dogs. My rat terrier is such a sweetheart and she came that way. She loves everyone and was already housebroken. I'll bet you'll be able to find a great little dog. Just keep dog hairs in mind LOL. My life is literally covered in white dog hair. I also live in an apartment. I now have a balcony, so I put a doggie lawn on it, so she can go potty on the balcony. But, I also walk her at least once a day, and usually twice. Good luck.

In case you want to know about the doggie lawn, this is what I buy. I only replace it once a month. She'll still go on it, even when it's dead and brown. It will start to smell, though, so I need to replace it once a month. You could probably get away with only replacing it every two months with a smaller dog.

https://www.amazon.com/DoggieLawn-Di.../dp/B00761ZXQW

Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM

488 posts, read 799,544 times
Pekingese!!! They may be a bit over 10 but are awesome dogs!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It is more important to match energy needs and temperament than size. Believe it or not dogs like retired greyhounds frequently make really good apartment dogs because they are low key couch potatoes most of the time. Also because they tend to be light on their feet they don't typically annoy the neighbors downstairs.
Yes. I have a large dog, but she is low energy and likes being inside. She wants like TEN 'walks' but they are generally short (per her desires). Mainly she likes to peealot and just stand or sit outside and smell and look around. She Adores the porch. Not as much by herself, but she does enjoy just 'hanging out'.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 3,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you want something small and quiet, I suggest the short faced Asian breeds: pug, Japanese chin, shih tzu, llasa apso.
Japanese Chins are not universally small or quiet. I've had 8, currently owned by 4. They varied in weight, size and vocal tendencies. Unlikely other barking dogs, though, my Chinsters "woo." One has what I label a hunting call "ta-hur-ta-HUR!"

I strongly suggest a rescue Chin, at least two years old. By that time, they should have filled out to an adult size and hair length, and their personalities would be developed. In my experience with the breed, from both puppy age when I got them and young (Yoshi was about 18 months when we got him from a rescue) it takes about a year for them to "grow a brain," as I call it. I also suggest genetic testing. It might not sway your decision if you find a Chin you want to make part of your life, but you'll be prepared for issues that arise from genetic problems common to the breed.

https://japanesechinclub.org/health/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs