Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,168 times

Advertisements

Most small dogs under 10 lbs are natural yippers. Our 9 lb dacha-poo was trained by us not to bark, but it was often that we had to hold up her rope muzzle, and say: “Muzzle!”. And then she would, close her mouth and make a noise noise like: “rrrrrppp, rrrrrp”. Barking while waiting in the car was out of control.

You will have to train(not punish) her to not bark. it will not be easy since barking at everything is built into the breeds.

If you need an absolute silent dog, then maybe you need a big very smart cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 02:01 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
I was going to say a toy fox terrier they are adorable and sometimes you get a lil rascal but not always . I know a lady that had one that was very calm and only barked once and she lived in a seniors community .

Old 12-01-2017, 03:30 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,447,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinLove2017 View Post
Japanese Chins are not universally small or quiet. I've had 8, currently owned by 4. They varied in weight, size and vocal tendencies. Unlikely other barking dogs, though, my Chinsters "woo." One has what I label a hunting call "ta-hur-ta-HUR!"

I strongly suggest a rescue Chin, at least two years old. By that time, they should have filled out to an adult size and hair length, and their personalities would be developed. In my experience with the breed, from both puppy age when I got them and young (Yoshi was about 18 months when we got him from a rescue) it takes about a year for them to "grow a brain," as I call it. I also suggest genetic testing. It might not sway your decision if you find a Chin you want to make part of your life, but you'll be prepared for issues that arise from genetic problems common to the breed.

https://japanesechinclub.org/health/
I agree. My sister raised and showed Chins for over 30 years and her last one was definitely not that small. He was a real sweetheart though. I always thought that as a breed they tended to be a little "hyper", but that might just be my perspective. She definitely had some lovely looking ones throughout the years!

Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,670 times
We have had a papillon, a chinese crested and a pomeranian. All would be fine.

We have also had an English setter and that breed is the calmer and quieter than all the others we have had

Old 12-02-2017, 01:20 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,413,305 times
Exclamation Very simple...

I'd go with a Papillion...plain and simple.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:48 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I'd go with a Papillion...plain and simple.

My wife agrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs