Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:13 PM

199 posts, read 129,186 times

Advertisements

Our boy was 10 1/2. I know that’s old for a Boxer but I’m sad we didn’t get another year or 2 with him. And even though I know deep down we did the right thing it still bothers me because we never knew for sure what was wrong. They said we could do and MRI but he was buckling his front paws and falling over...he would yelp when we you touched his head or neck a certain way. He was trembling on and off and he withdrew from us the last week. No pain meds we’re working. Steroids seemed to help him relax more and not pace in circles but that was it. They suspected a brain tumor or his spine (X-rays last year showed it was infused). But I wish we knew but I didn’t want to put him through anymore suffering nor spend the money just to find out what was already inevitable. But I just keep thinking....what if it was something that could have been fixed with a different med or surgery and we didn’t try it. Last year he has issues with trembling and pain and pain meds and an antibiotic worked....he never withdrew from us though. This time nothing worked and he wouldn’t come near us when we called him. He was still eating though although had trouble....the vet said though that sometimes a brain tumor makes them eat more. When we got him into the emergency he just sort of collapsed on the floor (still conscious). Kind of like he know he could finally show he was sick....and they took him on a stretcher but the dr said once he got back to a room he tried to run away but then collapsed again. It just seemed all weekend he would seem a little better and then really bad again. It’s hard to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 802,985 times
You did the right thing! Why put a dog through more stress and discomfort just to eek another year or so out of him? Quality of life is much more important than quantity of life. Your dog was clearly suffering and the most compassionate choice is to end that suffering; that is the kindest thing you can do for the dog.

I'm lucky that I've had a vet for many years that has always been very straightforward with me and doesn't prey on owner's guilt like so many. When my Rhodesian, that had been having mystery health issues for a while, suddenly tanked and went downhill fast, I was desperate for answers. I spent $1800 and that was over a decade ago. When those tests yielded no answers, he very directly said, I can refer you to Cornell. You can take her up there and you can spend several thousand dollars to find out why your dog is dying; I have my suspicions and if I'm right, the cure is worse than the disease and the outcome not much better. Regardless of what is causing it, your dog is slowly starving to death and that is a horrible way for a dog to go. Your dog is suffering. I think you know what the right thing to do is but I will do what you want. I took her home that night for one last evening at home. I told the kids and we made her night as special as possible; I even allowed her to sleep in a human bed that night with my son. The next day we took her in and the kids and I all held her and stroked her on the floor as the vet euthanized her, surrounded by her family. I've never second-guessed that decision. You shouldn't second-guess yours either.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
you did the right thing and it hurts but he will wait for you along with the others that have gone on before him . God bless you in this time of sorrow and it will get better .

Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Do not waste time second guessing your decision as all that does is cause you pain. You did what you had to do based on information you had at the time. Sometimes we have to make those decisions on what our gut is telling us is the right thing to do for our dog, maybe it is not the right thing for us but it is right for them.

I know it is hard but when those thoughts creep in try to chase them away by remembering the great life you did give your dog as so many healthy dogs do not even get the chance to have those years. Your dog was lucky he had an owner that loved and cared about him. What more could a dog want? Death is just a part of life and we all have to face it there is nothing bad about it as it is life. So you did nothing wrong so hope you can find some comfort in knowing you made a last gesture of love for your dog.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Oh I know how hard this is. It doesn't sound like anything could have been done. It was his time, and you were brave and did right by him. We always second guess ourselves. My kitten had a fatal disease, there was -0- doubt that a thing could be done and yet for a long time people had to tell me over and over there was no way to gain even another day. I would 'forget' all the reasons I made the right decision, it seemed like. Hugs.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:33 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
You did what was right! To have done otherwise in the circumstances you've described would have been selfish. You wouldn't have been "doing more" for your sweet dog; you'd have been doing it for you. I hope you can ultimately realize that. I know I've wondered the same thing, almost every time I've had to make that decision, but seriously, you were acting out of love! How can that be anything but right?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
IF you want to know what was wrong you could ask the vet to do an necropsy

Sorry for your loss

Old 08-22-2018, 10:19 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
Our boy was 10 1/2. I know that’s old for a Boxer but I’m sad we didn’t get another year or 2 with him. And even though I know deep down we did the right thing it still bothers me because we never knew for sure what was wrong. They said we could do and MRI but he was buckling his front paws and falling over...he would yelp when we you touched his head or neck a certain way. He was trembling on and off and he withdrew from us the last week. No pain meds we’re working. Steroids seemed to help him relax more and not pace in circles but that was it. They suspected a brain tumor or his spine (X-rays last year showed it was infused). But I wish we knew but I didn’t want to put him through anymore suffering nor spend the money just to find out what was already inevitable. But I just keep thinking....what if it was something that could have been fixed with a different med or surgery and we didn’t try it. Last year he has issues with trembling and pain and pain meds and an antibiotic worked....he never withdrew from us though. This time nothing worked and he wouldn’t come near us when we called him. He was still eating though although had trouble....the vet said though that sometimes a brain tumor makes them eat more. When we got him into the emergency he just sort of collapsed on the floor (still conscious). Kind of like he know he could finally show he was sick....and they took him on a stretcher but the dr said once he got back to a room he tried to run away but then collapsed again. It just seemed all weekend he would seem a little better and then really bad again. It’s hard to deal with.

There is no right or wrong here, unlike what the death pushers say. They would say you did "the right thing" if your dog had a hang nail and a cold. You did the best you could, you made the decision you thought was best at the time, and its perfectly normal and natural to wonder about it. There's no reason to beat yourself up over it though. Its a horrible situation to be in, with no easy answers. Most people who spend thousands on their dog at the end don't get a lot of return on that money. Everyone makes their own decision based on their own dog and their own situation. That's what you did and that's all you can do.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
It was time. There was nothing you could have done that would change anything in the long run. Grieve, and know that others here will grieve with you, but it is important that you let yourself know your grief and sorrow. We bring them into our lives, knowing their span on earth is so short, but we love them, and give them our hearts regardless. This one's time has passed.

I can only give you this in this time: Ricky Skaggs, Doc Watson and Earl Scruggs, three pickers, "Who will sing for me".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwsWCvu0Q6k

Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
I am very sorrry for your loss. I know it is hard to not know exactly what was wrong. It is an option to ask the vet to do a necropsy post mortem to try to discover the cause.

Your dog had a very good long life and it is obvious that he was very loved. The eventuality for every living thing is the same and no matter the cause or the reason we will all experience it many times in the form of loss of dear friends and family, furry and otherwise. This too is a natural art of life. Try to focus on the gift you enjoyed of 10.5 years with that unique wonderful friend. And perhaps one day, when you are ready, you will meet a new freind who will help fill that space in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs