Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 08:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Because they can’t take them in? Because they are from Europe where it is the norm? While I wouldn’t do it in a large city, I’ve done it many times in my small town. I don’t even tie mine because he has a rock solid stay, even if people stop to pet him or other dogs pass. He is usually in my sight and I’m watching him although a few times in Germany I left him out front while grabbing groceries. In Germany, it isn’t unusual to find 4 or 5 dogs waiting outside the grocery market and many places like that actually have eye bolts in the wall every few feet for people to tie their dogs. There is now a company putting out a climate controlled kennel box for streets and sidewalks outside of businesses. It’s super cool and it hope we start seeing them everywhere because they are really needed. It works with an app and the dog is locked in and only the owner can open it (the business owner also has a key to manually override and open in the case of emergency or abandonment.
I lived in Germany for a time. I also wish dogs were more accepted in certain places but with regards to the OP, I understood it to mean why do people leave dogs outside when they can be stolen. I don't know what breed of dogs you have but what would they do if a stranger tried to take them here? Would they just go along with a stranger? Would they bite? What exactly would they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 3,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I lived in Germany for a time. I also wish dogs were more accepted in certain places but with regards to the OP, I understood it to mean why do people leave dogs outside when they can be stolen. I don't know what breed of dogs you have but what would they do if a stranger tried to take them here? Would they just go along with a stranger? Would they bite? What exactly would they do?
He mentioned a 3 legged dog stolen in Chicago

Old 09-09-2018, 09:53 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,023,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn9 View Post
Because human animals are lazy and stupid
I guess all you can hope for is you will be a dog in your next life...……..being a human is so disgusting for you....

Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,365,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn9 View Post
You shop next to human animals all the time and they are the worst of the worst. They need to stay home so we do not have to deal with them. If human animals insist and shopping then leave the poor non-human animals at home where they are safe where human animals cannot harm them.
I’m not sure what universe you live in but stores and malls and everything else are made for human “animals”(as you call them). Anything else is an animal, a pet, or wildlife. Neither of those other two species belong in a cilvilized society co mingling with others. Hard to be a human animal such as yourself can not understand that basic concept. Maybe you should go to doggie day care and learn the differences. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:35 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,456,707 times
Something to remember
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people insist on leaving their dogs outside when they shop!-force-training.jpg  

Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I’m not sure what universe you live in but stores and malls and everything else are made for human “animals”(as you call them). Anything else is an animal, a pet, or wildlife. Neither of those other two species belong in a cilvilized society co mingling with others. Hard to be a human animal such as yourself can not understand that basic concept. Maybe you should go to doggie day care and learn the differences. Good luck.
There seems to be a rather large disconnect between dogs allowed in stores and restaurants in Europe vs those in North America. It seems that the bias toward animals allowed any place other than one's own home, or at the end of a leash on a walk, is strongest in NA. Doesn't mean it's right. It just points toward what one country accepts over another.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM

965 posts, read 940,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Something to remember
Thank you for that reminder

Old 09-10-2018, 02:44 PM

1,201 posts, read 806,019 times
Quote:
Something to remember
Something better to remember: “Reliability off lead should always be the most significant criterion when evaluating and comparing training methods.” (Bill Koehler)

Old 09-10-2018, 03:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,456,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Something better to remember: “Reliability off lead should always be the most significant criterion when evaluating and comparing training methods.” (Bill Koehler)

OMG, quoting Bill Koehler. I saw him conduct several seminars in the 1980s and he was as harsh as anyone could be. Being a follower of his is nothing to brag about.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:29 PM

1,201 posts, read 806,019 times
Quote:
OMG, quoting Bill Koehler. I saw him conduct several seminars in the 1980s and he was as harsh as anyone could be. Being a follower of his is nothing to brag about.
That is exactly the opposite of what I've heard from every other person commenting or writing about training with him.
Lassie, Get Help: I knew Bill Koehler. Bill Koehler was a friend of mine. - "I think Bill Koehler was a genius with dogs. He taught every session of the class and worked with every type of dog and every type of handler under the sun. I saw no dogs ruined, no spirits broken, no "learned helplessness" — and I was an observant, kind-hearted youngster. I got the impression that Bill Koehler respected the intelligence and the character of each dog he worked with, and he wanted us to do the same."

https://www.amazon.com/Koehler-Metho...pe=all_reviews

https://www.canineprofessionals.com/...l-hall-of-fame - "When you excel you are actually sticking your head up high enough to get shot. Only if you are truly excellent will the shots all miss and leave you standing straight and tall above the masses. That was Bill Koehler. Quiet, unassuming, soft spoken and gentle of hand, Bill gave us a way to train dogs while at the same time honoring their very dog-ness. The Koehler Method of Dog Training is just as valid and useful in the Twenty-first century as it was in the Twentieth century and we suspect it will continue to have just as much meaning for as long as we have dogs to train."

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/new-p...22-h095s7.html - not someone who worked with him but speaking to the success of his method.

I'm in a Koehler group with many people that worked with him and have nothing but positive things to say about how he respected and loved the dogs. Of course, he didn't suffer "fur mommies."

I guess Barbara Woodhouse really gets you going! LMAO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Di2COwNT8 . I miss these great trainers! We need more Barbaras and Bills and Captain Haggertys. Maybe then we would have to continue to dumb down obedience competition to the point anyone that can drag something in on the other end of the leash can compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs