Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:08 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, you're not a slow learner. Unfortunately, they can't tell us what hurts, and they can disguise it to a degree. Ironically, I was watching an old episode of "Frasier", and they got a doggie shrink for Eddie. lol!

I bet he's fine once the leg feels better. My German Shorthair was never scared of loud noises as I used to hunt with him. Later in life fireworks would scare him, but I think he "learned" that from the neighbor's dog who used to stay with me when they went on vacation.

It's just I knew his leg was hurting, but the thought the fear was separate, now I'm convinced it's not.

It's kinda funny that he doesn't equate the pain from his leg as coming from his leg, that it has to be something in his surroundings.

Then really not funny that he feels something is randomly hurting him and his surroundings are unsafe.

Keeping him mildly sedated is helping because he is not bouncing around.

I'm trying to figure out his doggy logic....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 07:12 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Mikala; others pointed to the pain, and I didn't really have anything to add beyond that. I'm glad you AREN'T ignoring him though, that just seems like the wrong response this time. It could be the right response - in a different situation.

Have you any indication yet about the cause of the pain? I would be doing whatever possible to alleviate it. Massage, NSAIDs, whatever helped.

I have to wonder if this is a "fear stage" combined with a repeating pain source. Not sure how to successfully manage something like that!

Old 10-12-2018, 10:03 AM

That's what I think too, that the jabs of pain have made him fearful, so now he doesn't trust anything, so he is afraid.....

I have no idea what the cause or WHERE the pain is. We have poke, probbed, looked between his toes, moved his joints... that does reveal the pain, so it must be when he pivots or some other odd movement.

Been giving him meloxicam, and 10 mg of amitriptyline (sp).

It's weird because he will seem fine for days, but I'm not falling for that again.

He has the vet tomorrow.

I AM trying to figure how to counter the physiological damage, I know that sound total helicopter mom, but figure it this way:

This is the equivalent to putting a shock collar on a dog, and randomly giving him a big old zap throughout the day. That would mess him up, and this is starting to do the same.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's what I think too, that the jabs of pain have made him fearful, so now he doesn't trust anything, so he is afraid.....

I have no idea what the cause or WHERE the pain is. We have poke, probbed, looked between his toes, moved his joints... that does reveal the pain, so it must be when he pivots or some other odd movement.

Been giving him meloxicam, and 10 mg of amitriptyline (sp).

It's weird because he will seem fine for days, but I'm not falling for that again.

He has the vet tomorrow.

I AM trying to figure how to counter the physiological damage, I know that sound total helicopter mom, but figure it this way:

This is the equivalent to putting a shock collar on a dog, and randomly giving him a big old zap throughout the day. That would mess him up, and this is starting to do the same.
That is sure what it sounds like.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:09 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,252,079 times
Our 5 yr. old Mini-Aussie Terrier/Pomeranian mix has suddenly become afraid of our "toaster"!! She starts shaking every time I take the toaster out & I have to give her a Composure and then put the toaster away.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:42 AM

The vet feels it is his lower back. He showed (subtle) pain response as she moved up and down his spine in that area. That explains why I couldn't figure out which side was hurting and why he yelped when he did (getting in car, jumping for drone, etc.)

One of his feet had a slow response time, when she put it in a certain position - that part scared me.

So rest for 4 to 6 weeks, with some swimming being okay.

Meloxicam and gloucosamine, and light sedative so he doesn't want to be as active during the day.

We will have to take Steve out and tire him out so he doesn't need to play with Dante as much.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Found the perfect way to keep them both quiet and contented, aside from drugs.

They both have a huge marrow bone to work on.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Glad you found the problem. I'm sure as time goes by he will feel better, and the fear will subside. Dogs are usually pretty resilient. I had to have both my dogs knees done at different times, but it didn't instill fear, he just stopped putting pressure on the leg, so it was pretty obvious what was going on.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
I suggest you try a chiropractor. A Back/Spine adjustment will help with the pain & Rest will help it not to pop out again.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I suggest you try a chiropractor. A Back/Spine adjustment will help with the pain & Rest will help it not to pop out again.
I thought about it but would only consider an AVCA Certified doctor, and we have none in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs