Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:45 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times

Advertisements

The problem with Asprin is its a Blood Thinner. Not something to be taken IF there is a possibility of breaking something or going into surgery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 08:59 PM

48,545 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The problem with Asprin is its a Blood Thinner. Not something to be taken IF there is a possibility of breaking something or going into surgery
Meloxicam does too.

I don't want him to feel better, the stupid pup will just do something unwise, I want to promote healing.

Plus, I want to minimize his developing neurosis. To go to the vet he kept shying away from the car, because in his mind, the car hurt him....

I wish I spoke dog.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2018, 09:11 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I thought about it but would only consider an AVCA Certified doctor, and we have none in Hawaii.
I would have to second this cautioned thought. Chiro might be a good idea, or might not, and it's going to depend on the source of the problem, which we really don't know yet.

I'm guessing that the only way a med test could tell you more at this point would be to do an MRI, and those are mucho expensive. And you'd still have to have someone with expertise look at it! Xrays are much easier to read, but don't tell you as much.

Marrow bones - good idea. Neck bones work just as well, or better, but are harder to find. Around here I have to go to the actual butcher's place, where they cut the whole thing up. The grocery store "butchers" just cut steaks out of bigger chunks. Lots don't even do that! Lots of stores get everything pre-wrapped from central processing! But if you can find neck bones - they are meaty, not fatty, and lots of tendon and cartilage gets eaten - which is a good source of the joint stuff we pay so much for as supplements (chondroitin, MSM, and the other one).

Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 PM

48,545 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I have to admit I didn't think of the bones as a nutrient source, just entertainment for them which didn't involve interaction.

But NOW I am, and I think that is a very good idea. His blood work showed his lipids were a tad high, so less fat is better.

I can buy from the dog food place.... they have ground turkey neck grind which should work. What about tracheas? Duck or chicken feet? They have duck necks. (I'm reading through the list).

I have to buy $100 at a time, and I had put it off due to budget, but if it will help him heal I'm in!

Of course doing this opened up new problems (which I had foreseen).

Steve showed resource guarding once he had the bone. It's kinda intimidating coming from a rescue dog with a head bigger than mine.

I was alone so didn't chance it, but DH took the bone from him with me as back up.

Plus, keeping them from playing is, literally, a full time job.

(As I sit here with Steve in my lap as an incitement not to wrestle, and Dante throwing a chew toy in my lap to play tug of war and chewing on Steve, who is about ready to fall off the couch....Steve will take loving almost over anything and wheezes like he has a deviated septum.....)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Duck necks, turkey necks - you bet. They can eat those entirely, and they won't be much of a "chew". They'll be a tooth-cleaning chomp-chomp-chomp-swallow though! I get beef neck bones. They are big enough my dogs get chewing out of them. For yours, you'll need the necks cut to 4 or 5" sections - if the dog food place can get them that way. The ground stuff has the nutrients, of course, just not the chewing!

Tracheas are a good chew. Raw will be like the duck or turkey necks - no challenge for much chewing - but good nutrition. You can get them dried, like bully sticks, and they'll make a decent chew that way. I've only had goose feet available once - and I don't recall that my two found a challenge there, either. And mine are only 50-pounders! For your big guys, beef necks and marrow bones are about it for good chews, I think. You'll probably be shocked at how little of the neck bones will be left when they are done, but no worries, what they swallow gets digested.

When you buy a whole chicken, save the neck RAW for directly feeding. All those joint supplements are derived from tendons and cartilage, so eating tendons and cartilage provides that naturally as a nutrient. Frequently the chondroitin and glucosamine in supplements are refined (alternative source) out of sea critter shells - but don't let that confuse you. The joints of meat animals are good natural sources. When I cook up my dog food, I make sure all of the tendons and cartilage go in it. We humans don't normally eat those bits, but they have good nutrition, and the dogs can swallow the tough bits just fine. A dog's gullet, I'm told, is designed to swallow big chunks. Much different than a human gullet.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meloxicam does too.

I don't want him to feel better, the stupid pup will just do something unwise, I want to promote healing.

Plus, I want to minimize his developing neurosis. To go to the vet he kept shying away from the car, because in his mind, the car hurt him....

I wish I spoke dog.
I've countered fear with the LIBERAL application of high-value treats. It takes more diligence and more treats than I usually feel is appropriate. I have to stop myself from expecting the dog to respond without treats. Eventually we've gotten there, though, with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs