Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

I have a 95 lb gsd and a 55 lb border collie and I would not let either one of them tangle it up with a yote but should a yote come in my yard im sure teddy at 95 lbs would be a challenge because he has shown some aggression towards a certain person that I don't like either and that Is okay my dogs don't have to like everyone and neither do my human kids . I also have small dogs as well and I have no doubt the bigger ones would protect the little ones . I make sure the little ones never go outside alone .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 12:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have a 95 lb gsd and a 55 lb border collie and I would not let either one of them tangle it up with a yote but should a yote come in my yard im sure teddy at 95 lbs would be a challenge because he has shown some aggression towards a certain person that I don't like either and that Is okay my dogs don't have to like everyone and neither do my human kids . I also have small dogs as well and I have no doubt the bigger ones would protect the little ones . I make sure the little ones never go outside alone .
there is always a human adult present with the dogs going outside and the human mainly me stays with them until they are ready to come in .

Old 11-07-2018, 01:06 PM

922 posts, read 792,182 times
We live in a semi-rural area and there are lots of coyotes around. My husband was walking our dog (65 pound chow/lab mix) and a coyote blindsided my husband and knocked him down. Our dog was on him in a flash and took a big chunk out his flank. The coyote ran off yelping in pain.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Would your hounds ever close on and take out a Coyote? I know one gentleman that hunted them with a sighthound/Aerdale mix; he wanted the fur sharpness of the Terrier.
Most sight hounds aren't really killers. The deerhound was bred to knock the prey down and hold it, not savage it. Tooth punctures ruin meat. The hound would hold the stag until the hunter could get there to finish it off.

We'd give the coyote a fair head start and then the hounds would chase him down, grab him by the neck, and flip him over. The hounds would rough him up a bit and then let go and step back. The coyote would be given a head start and the game would repeat. In a big field, the coyote might be caught and flipped three times.

I'd call the hounds off before the chase left wide open spaces. The hounds and I enjoyed the chase immensely. The coyote, not so much.

People who hunt coyotes as vermin might have stag hounds to catch and hold and they will have large terriers or molossers to arrive at the party late and do the actual killing,

I didn't want to kill the coyotes, I just wanted to chase them away from my property. And to give the dogs a chance to do what they were bred to do, or at least close to it. ( not legal to hunt deer with dogs. Coyotes are fair game)

Old 11-09-2018, 10:27 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Most sight hounds aren't really killers. The deerhound was bred to knock the prey down and hold it, not savage it. Tooth punctures ruin meat. The hound would hold the stag until the hunter could get there to finish it off.

We'd give the coyote a fair head start and then the hounds would chase him down, grab him by the neck, and flip him over. The hounds would rough him up a bit and then let go and step back. The coyote would be given a head start and the game would repeat. In a big field, the coyote might be caught and flipped three times.

I'd call the hounds off before the chase left wide open spaces. The hounds and I enjoyed the chase immensely. The coyote, not so much.

People who hunt coyotes as vermin might have stag hounds to catch and hold and they will have large terriers or molossers to arrive at the party late and do the actual killing,

I didn't want to kill the coyotes, I just wanted to chase them away from my property. And to give the dogs a chance to do what they were bred to do, or at least close to it. ( not legal to hunt deer with dogs. Coyotes are fair game)
I think that trapping and calling/shooting is the ideal method of reducing a population. Those that like the dog work do it because they like to see the dogs work.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:20 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Not me, but a former co-worker who had moved out to Wyoming and her 85 lb German Shepherd.

She was outside and it was getting dark so didn't see the coyote but all of sudden, her GSD is going berserk from behind the door in the house, barking and banging against the door. Her dog is normally silent, it's rare that the dog even barks so this was very strange behavior from him. She opened the door and the dog charges out at full speed past her. She heard yipping and scuffling and her husband flipped on the light just in time for them to see a chewed coyote running off.

She was horrified because the coyote had been very close to where she had been gathering up some items in the yard. She now keeps the dog with her when out in the yard but she hasn't had any other coyote encounters since luckily.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:24 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
When I lived in Colorado, I had a fenced in backyard that backed up to a large open space. I let my dog, a large German Shorthaired Pointer out one early evening around dusk, and then went out to see what he was up to. He was nose to nose with a Coyote with the fence separating them. They were perfectly still, silent, and just staring at each other. Who knows what would have happened if there were no fence.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
What a bunch of scaredy-cat little men.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think that trapping and calling/shooting is the ideal method of reducing a population. Those that like the dog work do it because they like to see the dogs work.
I'm gonna vote with oregon on this one - just keep them off the property. There is more basis to the why than what I'll give you now, but let me just share one observation.

Keep in mind, the two people I'm about to tell you about are real. This is not made up.

Person number 1, owns several acres. Keeps sheep, in prime Eastern coyote country. Plenty of coyotes around. The property was known as having a coyote problem before they bought it. They bring in a couple of Border collies and a cross or two. Regularly walk the boundaries with the dogs, encouraging the dogs to mark. They don't encourage the dogs to actually confront the coyotes. Actually, they avoid that, as any confrontation entails risk for both coyote and dog. When a coyote is sighted, they harass the coyote with air horns and other bs. The coyotes now stay off their property, although an occasional brush-up lesson is required.

Person number 2. Also a farmer. Also on several acres in known Eastern coyote territory. Also keeps some livestock, now mostly chickens and geese. This one shoots coyotes, and kills them, on a regular basis. Been doing that for years. The coyotes have never learned to stay off their property.

Which one do you think is a better example of good coyote management? The one who doesn't have a coyote problem, right?

Also, I use my dogs to control wild geese. Those geese have an innate respect for the dogs. They don't normally give any such respect to people - not even people who threaten them. (But they will give respect to a person who hunts them. Ask any hunter.) I am convinced that other wild critters also avoid my property because of my dogs. Something about a dog that other critters respect (or fear).

Another thing to chew on. Coyotes have a unique adaptation for canids. The female has variable size litters, depending on local conditions. If the coyote population is reduced, the female has bigger litters.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I'm gonna vote with oregon on this one - just keep them off the property. There is more basis to the why than what I'll give you now, but let me just share one observation.

Keep in mind, the two people I'm about to tell you about are real. This is not made up.

Person number 1, owns several acres. Keeps sheep, in prime Eastern coyote country. Plenty of coyotes around. The property was known as having a coyote problem before they bought it. They bring in a couple of Border collies and a cross or two. Regularly walk the boundaries with the dogs, encouraging the dogs to mark. They don't encourage the dogs to actually confront the coyotes. Actually, they avoid that, as any confrontation entails risk for both coyote and dog. When a coyote is sighted, they harass the coyote with air horns and other bs. The coyotes now stay off their property, although an occasional brush-up lesson is required.

Person number 2. Also a farmer. Also on several acres in known Eastern coyote territory. Also keeps some livestock, now mostly chickens and geese. This one shoots coyotes, and kills them, on a regular basis. Been doing that for years. The coyotes have never learned to stay off their property.

Which one do you think is a better example of good coyote management? The one who doesn't have a coyote problem, right?
We're talking about two different things.

One is thinning the predator population, the other is protecting livestock. A Great Pyrenees or similar LGD (or a Donkey) is the ideal dog for protecting stock.

A herd of vulnerable livestock is basically a massive bait pile to predators. If I setup a corn pile and shoot every deer that comes to it, I'll have plenty of deer there next year. Ditto Coyotes.

But, if I have a crop farm (no animals,) and trap for coyotes, I'll continue to have coyotes, but fewer of them than if I didn't trap.

Quote:
Also, I use my dogs to control wild geese. Those geese have an innate respect for the dogs. They don't normally give any such respect to people - not even people who threaten them. (But they will give respect to a person who hunts them. Ask any hunter.) I am convinced that other wild critters also avoid my property because of my dogs. Something about a dog that other critters respect (or fear).

Another thing to chew on. Coyotes have a unique adaptation for canids. The female has variable size litters, depending on local conditions. If the coyote population is reduced, the female has bigger litters.
Its funny, I've noticed that with a bunch of animals. Deer, Geese, Turkeys, Ducks...They have an innate sense of when they're being preyed on. I've been at an outdoor shooting range...Deer will mosey on through the range paying no attention to bullets zipping overhead or the boom of .30-06's. Guys talk about seeing them come up and lick the salt off a 4 Wheeler seat. But two forward facing eyes, sitting quietly in wait, movement that seems amiss? Something instinctive says "No way Jose, Im outta here"
Quote:
RE the litter size, I did know that, but I always chalked it up to a surplus or lack of resources available to the pack. In a natural environment, say a forest and a swamp and a beaver pond, there will only ever be so many deer, ducks, bunny rabbits, to support the Coyotes.
Quote:
If the coyote population is reduced, the female has bigger litters.
But if you eliminate reproducing females...

There are a lot of coyotes here in the Eastern US now because we make great habitat for them, but also because the fur market isn't what it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs