Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Well, if you have bathed him yourself before and he still smells, you just might need to try different shampoos/soaps. That oily double coat is the problem as well as the buildup of dead hair they constantly shed. If you use stronger shampoo it might cut the oil but will reduce their waterproofing temporarily. Brushing the dog more often to get rid of the dead hair will help reduce the smell. Could be the groomer charges more for large dogs with dense coats...more water, more or different soap, more time to groom them and more time to clean up after them.

Most of my friends have labs because they hunt in cold wet conditions. They all have that distinctive smell. Even the ones who are bathed and brushed every few days. They still smell.

One of many reasons I like Australian cattledogs...they also have dense double coats but almost no odor at all. Thank the dingo. I haven't given my current dog a true bath in about 10 years. She's never dirty or smelly. Nothing seems to "stick" to her fur either. "Wash and wear" without the wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
My husband washes the two large beasts outside. If I were sans husband, I would probably do it myself (I have). It always seems like such a huge chore, but it's really not.

We do it on grass or concrete. My sister takes hers to the self service places mentioned previously. We took them both and had them smelling great in about 15 mins.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-12-2019, 12:49 PM

63 posts, read 30,918 times
We replaced the copper piping in our house with pex about six months ago because it was developing pinhole leaks all over the place. (Builder used too thin walled copper , but that's another story). We ran a line from the water heater out to the hose bib in the driveway and
installed a new double valve.
Voila!
Outside dog shower for our two large dogs who love to dig, wrestle and burrow in the woods and yard. I bathe them only when necessary and use soapless shampoo so their skin doesn't dry out.
But they are big (82 and 110 lbs) and spend about half their time in the house. Much as I love them I hate my house smelling like whatever they got into outside.

Last edited by DogFur; 07-12-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Dog wash station, $15! You wash, they keep the water and hair mess!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:55 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Yep. DIY dog bath places are pretty popular where I am. It costs less than $20 and you get to bathe them in a comfortable environment with all the supplies you need.

My elderly border collies got into all kinds of messes. One rolled in poo. Another chewed his way into an industrial size container of swiss miss cocoa with marshmallows and got him self coated in chocolate dust. Off to the doggie wash. The employees usually gathered on the sidelines while I was working to laugh about the latest disaster with me.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Yep. DIY dog bath places are pretty popular where I am. It costs less than $20 and you get to bathe them in a comfortable environment with all the supplies you need.

My elderly border collies got into all kinds of messes. One rolled in poo. Another chewed his way into an industrial size container of swiss miss cocoa with marshmallows and got him self coated in chocolate dust. Off to the doggie wash. The employees usually gathered on the sidelines while I was working to laugh about the latest disaster with me.
Yeah, you're going to have to share that story now....

Old 07-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, you're going to have to share that story now....
LOL. I had just moved into my house. My 16 and 14 year old border collies were with me. The 16 year old male had always been a sneaky bastard. My housemate sent me a text to come home while I was out. The dog(s) had dived into a deep plastic bin that held nonperishables. Most had never been opened except for the cocoa. It had been the only thing in the kitchen with them. SOMEHOW (and now I know it was just the male) the decrepit male dog had managed to leverage the large container of Swiss Miss out of this deep plastic bin, where it had been crammed in amongst a bunch of bottles and boxes. He then tried to get inside. But rather than just flip off the flimsy plastic top, he gnawed through the side of it. There was cocoa powder ALL OVER the kitchen and my two dogs got a major sugar high. There were little tiny marshmallows hanging off all their feathers. Their white fur had turned light brown. And they seemed very pleased with themselves.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
LOL. I had just moved into my house. My 16 and 14 year old border collies were with me. The 16 year old male had always been a sneaky bastard. My housemate sent me a text to come home while I was out. The dog(s) had dived into a deep plastic bin that held nonperishables. Most had never been opened except for the cocoa. It had been the only thing in the kitchen with them. SOMEHOW (and now I know it was just the male) the decrepit male dog had managed to leverage the large container of Swiss Miss out of this deep plastic bin, where it had been crammed in amongst a bunch of bottles and boxes. He then tried to get inside. But rather than just flip off the flimsy plastic top, he gnawed through the side of it. There was cocoa powder ALL OVER the kitchen and my two dogs got a major sugar high. There were little tiny marshmallows hanging off all their feathers. Their white fur had turned light brown. And they seemed very pleased with themselves.

I have a visual.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:10 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
LOL! The only thing that might have been worse would be ripping a hole in a bean bag chair and covering everything with those static-y styrofoam balls!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
LOL! The only thing that might have been worse would be ripping a hole in a bean bag chair and covering everything with those static-y styrofoam balls!
I called the vet’s office just to make sure there was no danger and they couldn’t stop laughing.

Styrofoam would have been way less fun. That dog... Even the vet sobbed when we put him down, and even though he was in pain he was scarfing treats like a hyena. He tried to eat the needle, so we were crying and laughing when he passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs