Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 12:40 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We bought a rescue (a dachshund), during an adoption weekend at Petsmart. We paid $200, which paid for neutering, inoculations, upkeep, etc. Couldn't have asked for a better dog! If I ever paid $5K for a dog, that sucker better mow my yard and cook supper for us. I haven't even owned a car that I've paid $5K for!
We did exactly the same thing, and our dachshund is a gem, too. The only glitch was that after we’d had him a year, an undescended testicle appeared, so he had to be neutered twice. The vet who did the original operation didn’t charge us, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 01:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We did exactly the same thing, and our dachshund is a gem, too. The only glitch was that after we’d had him a year, an appeared, so he had to be neutered twice. The vet who did the original operation didn’t charge us, though.
Usually when there is an undescended testicle they neuter becomes more like a spay as the vet will go it to find it and removed it as left there they often become cancerous. I am shocked what ever vet that did the first neuter did not do that. Or did he for some reason have 3 and they removed the normal two not knowing there was yet another?

Old 12-02-2020, 04:19 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Usually when there is an undescended testicle they neuter becomes more like a spay as the vet will go it to find it and removed it as left there they often become cancerous. I am shocked what ever vet that did the first neuter did not do that. Or did he for some reason have 3 and they removed the normal two not knowing there was yet another?
That’s what our current vet said....they should have gone up and found the second one in the abdomen. The tech who performed the operation was no longer employed by the veterinary practice, so we’ll never know why. Just plain incompetence, I guess. The vet was apologetic, and he took care of it.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:49 AM

453 posts, read 345,492 times
Do not pay $3k for a mixed breed dog. There are SO many puppies and dogs that can be found via rescue for far far less than that. I do not personally agree with purchasing a dog to be a companion animal over rescuing one but reputable breeders exist to enhance and further the breed line. Reputable breeders are not the ones hopping on bandwagons to create whatever poodle mutt is en vogue at the moment. You risk a lot more than $3k because you are at risk of getting a poorly bred puppy.

I can give you a long list of shelters and rescue organizations in NJ that would be worth contacting. You can often contact them to indicate your interest in a certain type of dog, and they will let you know when one becomes available. Or you can scour Petfinder.

We are really fortunate here in NJ because many rescue groups and even shelters truck highly adoptable dogs up from the South in huge numbers. Many people think that shelters are just full of pits or dogs with issues, but it's not the case. There are dogs of all breeds constantly available, in large part because of the partnerships with Southern shelters. St Huberts here in Madison is awesome and has a Waystation network where they do this. My current dog came as a 1 year old stray from Georgia through Eleventh Hour Rescue (highly recommend - Randolph based) who also does this.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:48 PM

423 posts, read 282,904 times
You don't know where that dog is coming from and if he/she will have health issues. Maybe if not now then later the health issues will begin. I doubt that a pet store will let you return or even have a warranty if something would occur. And that is too much to pay for a dog. If you do have health issues, you will probably be paying that much or more for your Vet's office visits. Check out your local shelter.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Dog prices seem to be this everywhere.

This was the pet store fyi.

https://www.shakeapaw.com/Breeds_In_Stock_Union.php

Old 12-03-2020, 06:04 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Holy crap!!!

My friend who breeds GSP's charges $1,300 AND will ship the dog via air transport CONUS. Total cost is usually $2,000-$2,250 including crate and blanket. Heck I can buy a purebred and field/hunt trained GSP or less than $3,000!!!!!!

Those prices are absolutely insane.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:15 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

Yikes! I'd keep looking, otherwise, this is just a bad time to buy pets. They know more people want pets because they may be home more, are company during this COVID time, etc. At the beginning of COVID, I believe I saw on the news that they said more people were getting dogs.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:48 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

Actually if you google the term "price of Cavapoo" the national average is $1200 - $2500. I still think that is ridiculously high for a mixed breed. At least it is nowhere near pet store prices. I noticed on the site you linked the mixes (maybe as they refer to them as "designer breeds"?) were priced higher than recognized AKC breeds they were selling.

I realize prices vary widely nationwide, but you could pay the national average and have a courier/pet taxi service drive the puppy to you and still be well under $6K.

As others have pointed out there is no such thing as a 100% non shedding dog so you will still need to vacuum and use lint rollers. To put this price into perspective; for $6K you could buy a dozen top of the line Dyson cordless vacuums! LOL

If your dog lives to an average of 13 years old, $6K would pay for a lifetime of basic vet care (assuming of course no expensive surgeries are needed).

By contrast, you can get a shelter pup for under $300 most places ($85 - $150 in my area) that includes S/N and all shots. You also have the ability to return if it doesn't work out.

IDK, from what you stated your GF isn't stuck on one type as she was initially interested in a Cockapoo.
Unless money is truly no object (and you may need for it not to be if you get a sick pup) I would consider an older dog. At least by the time it is two years+ you should know if it has any inherent health issues.

I don't trust these smaller designer breed puppies. One of my friends got one of the teacup size puppies; A "Teddy Bear" that is a cross between a Shih Zhu & Bichon Frise and it's had many health issues. He needed a serious surgery at 18 months that cost $6K. Of course it's not just about money. It's emotionally draining to deal with health problems.

Not sure if you are aware, but another thing to consider with small breeds is dental disease. It's a huge issue with them due to their tiny mouths. Even with regular yearly cleanings (expensive - $500 - $1K per cleaning) I know a few that have needed half their teeth removed by the age of 5. Here is one of many articles about the prevalence of dental disease in small dogs you can google. https://petcentral.chewy.com/dental-...thy-dog-teeth/ Just another issue that is not talked about as much to factor in when choosing a breed if you are not aware.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:28 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Holy crap!!!

My friend who breeds GSP's charges $1,300 AND will ship the dog via air transport CONUS. Total cost is usually $2,000-$2,250 including crate and blanket. Heck I can buy a purebred and field/hunt trained GSP or less than $3,000!!!!!!

Those prices are absolutely insane.
The prices for what used to be called mutts are especially shocking.\

What's also shocking is that the O.P.'s girlfriend would cry over not getting the dog that she wanted, when she wanted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs