Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 06:26 PM

303 posts, read 1,386,118 times

Advertisements

So I have a question for all of you Shih Tzu owners. First of all, aren't they fabulous? I just love my little girl!

Anyways.. simply put... she does not like to do her "business" outside and rather prefers the inside. We live in Florida and I know they dislike the heat (I can't blame her) but all it would take is a minute. I sit outside with her, walk her around the neighborhood, ect. I can spend hours a day outside with her and it will still end up inside the house.

Anyone else with a Shih Tzu like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
So I have a question for all of you Shih Tzu owners. First of all, aren't they fabulous? I just love my little girl!

Anyways.. simply put... she does not like to do her "business" outside and rather prefers the inside. We live in Florida and I know they dislike the heat (I can't blame her) but all it would take is a minute. I sit outside with her, walk her around the neighborhood, ect. I can spend hours a day outside with her and it will still end up inside the house.

Anyone else with a Shih Tzu like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Is she crate trained? How old is she?

I had a Shih Tzu and used puppy training pads indoors for the longest time. It was a tough transition to outside potty duties.

I used a potty training aid for our current dog (in the first few weeks after we got him - Rescue Bichon).

Simple Solution Potty Training Aid at PETCO

I sprayed it on the tree or a neighbor's mailbox post. It works well.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:45 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I also adore my little Shih-Tzu - absolutely the most gentle, docile loveable dog we've ever had. She is a year old and we haven't had any problems house training her. We crated her as a young pup - truly the best method.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I crate trained Oliver, he was going outside to the bathroom at 12 weeks...even the breeder was surprised how fast I trained him....he went from the wee-wee pads in the kitchen, to wee-wee pads by the door, then to the wee-wee pads on the patio to doing his business on the grass...it took patience, but well worth it...I had my hesitation about crate training, but after reading about it and the breeder also recommending it, I went for it...it was the best!! I would find him in his crate even after he had full run of the house after being potty trained. He feels the same way about his car crate/carrier...I will find him sleeping in it, he loves it.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
This has nothing to do with the breed, it has to do with training her.

Look at the third post in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ppy-owner.html

Follow the directions TO THE LETTER and you'll have a trained dog. Since she already urinates outside, this should be simple. Be sure to take her out about 20 minutes after she eats, because that's when the gastrocolic reflex kicks in. And you MUST have her on a leash and you MUST have the treats right there with you.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
My aunt has a seven year old named Buttons that is spoiled rotten. He is the sweetest pooch.

Don't know anything about the training part when it comes to one because my aunt's always goes outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs