Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,832 times

Advertisements

Is there a tracking chip that can be implanted in a dog to locate him/her if they are lost or stolen? I know about the ID chips but am wondering if there is a better way to secure my Boxer. We live in an area where pitbulls and dogfighting are a problem. I don't want my guy to end up a sparing partner for a pit bull. We have a privacy fence but as my wife sat on the front porch the other evening a 17-20 yr old kid being dragged by a large pit asked her if that was a oit in the back yard. Realizing the boy was clueless, she replied by saying it was a mix between a poodle and bull dog..............

anyway............any idea about the chip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,364 times
We have a micro chip in our babies. Great ideas but the problem though is unless someone turned your baby in, the chip isn't going to help. We got ours just in case and I recommend it of course! Just wanted to let you know how it works that unless the dog is turned in, it isn't till the shelter, vet, or location w/ the scanner of the "particular" brand of mircrochip can locate you. We have a tag on collar to say we have a microchip.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,694 times
They have the microchip or you can get the Homeagain microchip like we have in our dogs.. that you have to renew every year.. It is suppose to be better than the regular chip.. goto homeagain.com and read more about it. Unlike the other chip..HomeAgain will instantly send an email alert to shelters, vet clinics and PetRescuers in the surrounding area where your pet was lost.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
They have the microchip or you can get the Homeagain microchip like we have in our dogs.. that you have to renew every year.. It is suppose to be better than the regular chip.. goto homeagain.com and read more about it. Unlike the other chip..HomeAgain will instantly send an email alert to shelters, vet clinics and PetRescuers in the surrounding area where your pet was lost.

But again, this is only good if someone turns in the dog. I think they are referring more to a GPS thing.....

Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
I don't think they want a chip that will identify the dog after it is found, they want "doggie Lojack", something that can tell them where the dog is if it is lost or stolen. I think that would be a great product to make for pet owners, but I don't know of anything like that available right now.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
The only type of doggie lojack products that I have seen require that the dog wear the GPS collar. Obviously if you are worried about theft, this won't work since the bad guys would simply remove the collar. I have not seen any devices that are implanted like the standard microchip.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:18 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I sure hope they sort something out that can be implanted under the skin before my daughter is old enough to drive because not only will my pets have it but she will too.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:20 PM

lol Lindsey... That's a good idea..
Ahhh well then you can go here and get this globalpetfinder.com but it cost ya $289.00 for the collar that isn't the fee for being global...you can use your cell phone to track your pet at all times..(*Your Globalpetfinder requires a one-time activation fee of $34.99 and monthly service plan.),...... However the draw back is IF someone removes the collar you have pretty much lost your dog.. so it is still best to have the chip.. even if they stoled the dog and take it to the vet IF the vet runs the wand across the dog since some do when a new dog comes in.. they will notice its chipped and see all the Owners Info on it and that could lead the dog back to its real owner..

Old 06-23-2008, 03:43 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
lol Lindsey... That's a good idea..
Ahhh well then you can go here and get this globalpetfinder.com but it cost ya $289.00 for the collar that isn't the fee for being global...you can use your cell phone to track your pet at all times..(*Your Globalpetfinder requires a one-time activation fee of $34.99 and monthly service plan.),...... However the draw back is IF someone removes the collar you have pretty much lost your dog.. so it is still best to have the chip.. even if they stoled the dog and take it to the vet IF the vet runs the wand across the dog since some do when a new dog comes in.. they will notice its chipped and see all the Owners Info on it and that could lead the dog back to its real owner..
They need to put that chip into a fashionable piece of jewelry I can put on my daughter. Something she will LOVE so much she will never remove.

I personally think its a good idea for your pets to have both. Especially with how some breeds of dogs are MORE likely to wander. I took care of a friends Black Lab, she would have gone cross country if enough water sprinklers were on.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM

I know where your coming from I have two daughters.. one 16 the other is 9... if they making tracking chips for them I would have had them implanted when they were born..lol but I know I would have one in me too.. and not sure I would really want that for my daughter specially if my mom could still track me..lol

I would think the GPS collar would be worth it as long as the one who tries to take my dog doesn't remove it.. but I'm sure in the near future someone will come up with a chip to implant in the dogs to track them or the homeagain will improve the one they have..maybe..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs