Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 AM

897 posts, read 2,456,544 times

Advertisements

My 17 year old wants an aussie and i am on the fence b/c she is at school then works and has after school activites-I can walk him but it is going to be her dog-she plans to pay and exercise it when she can- we also have a labradoodle- I am not sure how they will get along
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
sounds like the dog will wind up being YOUR responsibility.... not the 17 y/o's ...... i would hold off..... as you probably read in the above posts, they are a lot of dog that need a lot of time, exercise and stimulation..... they are not dogs that can just be taken out and played with when it is convenient for the owner........

Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM

897 posts, read 2,456,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
sounds like the dog will wind up being YOUR responsibility.... not the 17 y/o's ...... i would hold off..... as you probably read in the above posts, they are a lot of dog that need a lot of time, exercise and stimulation..... they are not dogs that can just be taken out and played with when it is convenient for the owner........

He will be outside with another dog most of the time

Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,001 times
I convinced my daughter to wait until she graduated college and told her I would buy her a dog then - a good dog of her choice. She just had to research the breed and tell me what she wanted. I would support an adoption as well and gift her the fees and first vet visits.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,229,493 times
I think that 7 hours is fine as long as you honestly realize that once you get home you can't just leave again. How often do teachers have to attend school functions at night? Do you have to take education classes as night to stay certified? Plan on having a social life?
Coming home walking, going back out, coming home and going to bed leaves your dog alone all but about 2-3 hours a day and I don't think thats fair.
Are you single or will they have other family to interact with in the afternoon and evenings?
Having been a single Aussie owner I loved my Aussie but found it was a huge responsibility and very much limited my life because I refused to leave him alone after him having been alone all day.
I don't think I'd be single with one dog again. I'd feel like I had to have two so the dog had company. Of course two is even a greater responsibility in other ways.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
He will be outside with another dog most of the time

just know this .... a bored dog can quickly turn into a destructive dog.... aussies are highly intelligent ..... and get bored quickly if not physically AND mentally exercised on a regular basis........

Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,693 times
I have an 18 month old Red-Tri Standard Aussie, who also happens to be named Aussie. We got him when he was 8 weeks old. I have never owned a dog as an adult. I live in a one bedroom apartment. My two children, ages 11 and 10 spend half the time with me. I work 8 hour days, five days a week. I do have a dog walker about once or twice a week, and daycare once a week. He used to need dog daycare twice a week, but he is getting better at staying home alone. I do jog him 5 miles in the morning before I go to work, and then hide food in toys before I leave. It's a committment, but when they win your heart, as all Aussies do, you won't mind doing it. Besides, I'm in the best shape of my life. LOL. When I get home, I change and take him out for some walking and fetch. Sometimes in the evenings, he still needs a little bit more, so we play fetch in the apartment while dad watches TV. This used to be every night, but now when I put that ball up for the night, he settles down. When he was younger, and I just didn't want to play fetch anymore, at say, 8 o'clock, he would still try to entice me into other games of his choosing. So I can definitely see the maturity kicking it, even at only 18 months. Happy Aussie owner that now has a flat stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs