Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Our dog was attacked by a neighbor dog yesterday while DH was out walking here. The neighbor dog got out of their fence because of a hole in the fence from a storm on Thursday-not the first time these dogs have gotten out and attacked other dogs, btw.

Our dog has always gotten along well with other dogs and LOVES to go to the off leash dog park. I was just wondering what all you dog experts thought about us bringing her to the park soon, today even, just to make sure there isn't going to be a lasting effect from this.

The neighbor dog bit grabbed her by the rump, she has stitches from that and some swelling. She is wearing a cone too. DH was able to get the other dog to drop her by kicking the other dog. Our backyard joins with the back yard of the attack dog and our dog won't go near the fence and freezes in the yard when she hears the dogs next door.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:28 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Did you report the dogs? Just for your dogs safty & peace of mind...I would put up a 6 foot private fence. Yes I would re introduce him to the park for awhile him & other dogs on leash. Does he have special friends that he plays with in the park? If hes ok with them then you go off leash.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
If your dog has stiches and a cone, then wait until it's off to take her to the DP. Otherwise, I would start to reintroduce her to it.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Sorry to hear about your dog. Our dog was attacked at the local park several years ago. No stitches were needed, but he was bruised and very scared. Vet said to wait about 6 weeks or until all bruising and soreness were gone. He has no lasting effects and still loves the park. Just give it time.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Did you report the dogs? Just for your dogs safty & peace of mind...I would put up a 6 foot private fence. Yes I would re introduce him to the park for awhile him & other dogs on leash. Does he have special friends that he plays with in the park? If hes ok with them then you go off leash.
Our yard and their yard both have 6 foot privacy fences. Their fence has a hole in it from a storm on Thursday that they hadn't patched yet. In all fairness to them, this happened early Saturday morning and we had storms on Thursday and Friday--HOWEVER, they knew the hole was there and THOUGHT it would be ok. Yes, we filed a police report.

There is a great dane that she loves to play with at the park, it is hysterical, our 12 pound dog and the HUGE great dane. I think I will wait for the dog park until she isn't sore. I know they become more protective of themselves when they are injured but I was also thinking that the sooner we got her around nice dogs the better. We will wait though. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:12 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I would wait the other dogs might make fun of her with the cone on!!! JK

Seriously, I think waiting is better for another reason, is you are going to be more concerned because she has stitches and the cone. They pick up on your vibes too. Your nervous, she is going to be nervous.

Glad she wasn't hurt too bad. I do hope your neighbors paid the vet bill.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I would wait the other dogs might make fun of her with the cone on!!! JK

Seriously, I think waiting is better for another reason, is you are going to be more concerned because she has stitches and the cone. They pick up on your vibes too. Your nervous, she is going to be nervous.

Glad she wasn't hurt too bad. I do hope your neighbors paid the vet bill.
Well, she does look embarrassed with the shaved butt and the cone .

What got me thinking about this was we were at the vet waiting for them to take her back and a St. Bernard came out and she hid behind us, obviously scared. There were a couple smaller dogs there too and she was fine around them so I was worried that since the St. Bernard was about the same size as the rottweiler that got her she will have a fear of large dogs now. She has never had one before.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I don't think keeping her leashed at the park is a good idea. My dogs always feel at a disadvantage when the others come rushing up to investigate the new arrival - they aren't comfortable until I get their leashes off. Just a psychological thing, they can't defend themselves when on leash as well as when off leash.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Sorry to hear about the attack, yikes. Did owners paid the vet bill? I hope.

Let your dog heal until all well and she's ready for the park.
Start her slow, walk her by the park, but don't go in, see how she reacts. If she scared, keep on re-introducing park to her until she feels comfy to go it.

I don't think she will have a problem with the park, because dog associate all their incidents in PLACES where it happened, so she more likely to be afraid to go near your neighbors fence then park

Best of luck, and hope she's feeling good soon!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:58 AM
mga

230 posts, read 397,443 times
new neighbor moved in and let their two dogs roam free. after twice being in my yard, i walked over to the guy and told them that if their dogs came into my yard and caused a problem with my dogs, i was going to shoot them. we have a leash law, and since they willingly let them free, i was going to protect my property and dogs from them.

they miraculously stopped coming into my yard, and i do keep my pistol ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs