Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,657,108 times

Advertisements

We lost our sweet Border Collie last summer. She was 14 which was a ripe old age for a big dog. She was about 80 pounds. We got her from an animal shelter and she was such a dear, sweet and loving dog. Our kids are all up and out of college so it was mostly me spending time with her.
When she died last summer my husband sort of anounced that we were not getting another dog. I was sort of hurt and surprised. I brought it up a few times and he insisted we are not getting another dog. He said it is too hard when we travel, which we really don't do much of now that we have grandchildren.
I miss having a pet to love. Plus we live back in a woods and I like knowing everything is all right at the house when I see the dog is sleeping and relaxed. It was nice when the meter man came and the dog notified me of that or when a car pulled in.
Have others struggled with one person wanting a pet and the other one not wanted one????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
How about a small dog to keep you company & let you know if someones around & you can take with you when you travel.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,444,939 times
That's too bad, I can't really relate but what if you volunteered as a foster home for a needy dog from a local shelter, would he have any objections if it's temporary til the dog gets adopted? (you'd be working w/ the dog to train it if it's young and just give it some confidence if it came from an uncertain background). It w/b hard to give up the dog but maybe it w/b a way for him to ease into dogs again w/o jumping into it w/ both feet all at once, he may be more tempted in adopting it but you'd probably have to go into it w/ the understanding it's temporary to help a needy dog out of a bad situation (euthanasia), Im sure a shelter would love to have you - or if not foster, then just help socialize/walk their dogs, help at adoption events (assuming you have the time), fundraisers etc. Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,061,604 times
Tell him that the Motel 6's all allow dogs... so that's no excuse!

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-10-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,657,108 times
Honeycrisp those are good suggestions. We live in a small town and don't have a shelter but there is one in the next town. A girlfriend and I have discussed going there and just being a dog walker.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,183,790 times
I'm sure if you bring a little cutesie home, and tell your husband you found it, his heart will melt.....

Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 PM

702 posts, read 2,527,037 times
Driftwood I am sorry you are having this disagreement. I can tell you are very passionate about dogs and your post really highlights how much joy you feel when you have a dog in your life. My husband says after our current dog we won't get another dog because he is anticipating the pain of the loss and doesn't think he could go through that twice. He hasn't said 100% for sure, but he mentioned it once or twice. I hope he won't feel that way, but there is no way to be sure until we go through it.

Was the loss very hard on your husband? Maybe he had a harder time then you think with losing the dog, or dealing with loss in general? Does he know how important it is to you? Can he compromise and let a dog into your lives if all of his concerns are alleviated? It seems like a good idea to have both people on board when bringing an animal home.

I really feel for you, that's a tough place to be. I wish you good luck and I hope your husband comes around. You sound like a caring person who any dog would be lucky to share their life with.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,061,604 times
Maybe if you start volunteering at the shelter and he realizes how much you want a dog, he'll soften.

You should volunteer anyway!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,749,370 times
Did your husband have a rationale for not wanting another? Maybe there is a legitimate concern. The cost of owning a pet may be a factor - given the rising costs of everything else in the country.

Maybe he just wants more personal time with you. I hope things work out for you. I know I would be heartbroken if something happened to our little baby boy.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,285,991 times
give him time. Took my hub 3 years to getting a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs