Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wipe down your dog after a walk/
Yes 15 17.44%
No 32 37.21%
Depends 39 45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM

76 posts, read 176,731 times

Advertisements

Only if he gets wet. I'll towell dry him and wipe his feet. He's a yorkie so I have found that keeping his hair short is much better. When it was long everything seemed to stick to him, plus yes, the poop would stick on the butt. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
I only wipe if it is raining. My dog does not go to the bathroom unless he is my backyard or REALLY! has to go.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:23 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,896 times
We wash paws ALL the time now. I can't imagine how we ever not-washed their paws when we first got them. They step in a bunch of gunk naked to our eye, and just thinking about all the poop and pee on the streets, ew.

Our pups are so used to going to the bathroom right after a walk that they usually head into the bathroom right away lol (we typically say "Bathroom" as soon as we get in). I don't wipe doggie butts, but my exbf does lol. I say its his job.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
When we get home from one of our seven thousand walks per day , I tell Artie "gotta wipe the wheels; it's only common courtesy, when you come into the house, to wipe your wheels."

(Seinfield addicts will get the reference.)

Artie knows the drill.

As for the butt, that's one tush problem that Artie doesn't have because his tail goes up. I've counted my blessings for that.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,496 times
I wipe my dog if it's wet or snowing outside. She has pretty long fur since she's a Chow, so her belly can get wet and muddy as we walk. She doesn't really like it, but tolerates me wiping her feet off and belly, and occasionally the rear-end with a baby wipe if necessary.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
I'll wipe my two down with a towel if its been raining, and hose off their feet it they're muddy. They dont like it though.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Quote:
Eskie fur sheds rain and dirt as well as Teflon. No matter what, this dog is always clean and smells great and all I do is brush him.
I have a Siberian Husky. It's exactly the same. He's always clean (licks himself clean like a cat) and never stinks.

If it's raining, I'll run a towel over him to get the damp off, depending on how wet he is. He shakes most of it off outside the door. If his paws and undercarriage are OBVIOUSLY muddy, they'll get a wipe-down. (He's a tall dog, so I don't have to worry too much about the muddy undercarriage.)

If we leave the dog park and he's damp/muddy, he's usually dry and clean by the time we finish the drive home, and I don't bother with a rubdown at that point. Siberian fur sheds dirt. (And I don't rub him down before he gets in the car. I have a station wagon and the way-far-back is all his. There's a blanket in there that goes in the washer with clorox every few weeks. Voila. Good as new.)

I've been known to wipe away the stray doggy dingleberry. It's better than having him do the itchy-butt thing on my carpet.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Only if he's dirty. If it's super muddy out, I try to stick to concrete and pavement, and we don't go to the dog park...dog park is for non-muddy days only. He hates having his paws wiped off, and struggles against it/won't be still enough for you to do a very thorough job anyway. He doesn't mind having his coat wiped down (it's not very often necessary, though), but he haaaates having his paws wiped. He doesn't ever need a butt-wipe, he's a short-haired dog with good pooping technique, I guess.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 751 times
Very heartened to see many people washing paws before entering homes..And cleaning butts..My friends think I am mad,to me it's just common sense. Keep up the good work !

Old 01-29-2017, 08:27 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
This is a dilemma. The cat box is certainly a place after which cat paws should be wiped. But, a cat has a sense of smell very close to that of a dog and I have concerns about the trauma of having the cat's own feet smell like baby wipes. What to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs