Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
We work from home. The dogs prefer being outdoors. They have fresh water, shade, ceiling fans, a comfy sofa and chairs. I have french doors in my office leading out to the back patio. We get to visit through out the day. For the most part Eddie sleeps on the sofa, Niles guards my door and Daphne hunts lizards. If anyone comes near the property they let us know.
Hah! Eddie, Niles and Daphne! I love those names!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
My back yard is totally fenced in so there is no way out, however they are terriers and love to dig...every so often I have to reinforce certain areas, it's an ongoing battle. However if I have to run out I never leave them outside and when I'm at home I can see them from my office and the kitchen.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
My fenced backyard is big and has a pond, winding stone paths, trees, bushes...looks like a park. When I open the door to let them out they all fly in different directions. They are out alone for no longer than 5 minutes...then I go on the hunt to round them all up! One time I let my Jenny out for 5 min. by herself only to find her sitting in the middle of the fish pond! She is a Lab/Mix so I guess that makes sense!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
My dogs are always crate-trained. I live in Texas and the summers are not conducive to leaving dogs outside all the time. A dog that is crated while I'm away will not dig holes in the backyard, have an opportunity to formulate an escape plan, chew siding, generate children of passion, consume toxins or be exposed to pathogens. I have encountered attitudes that crating a dog is cruel. Not so. They learn to love it and eventually feel secure in the crate. It becomes his/her little enclave.

When I have a puppy I start crate training by feeding him at the mouth of his crate so that he never has a negative association before we start working on the "kennel" command. When the puppy is tired and wants to take a nap, I don't let him go to sleep. If he lies down I gently pick him back up and start scooting him towards his crate. I don't let him close his eyes until he's in the crate. A few attempted nap sessions and he has the idea. He associates the relief of sleep with the crate and will voluntarily retire there when exhausted. At that point, you have a crate trained puppy.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
How do crated pets get out if there is a house fire or flood? I feel that at least if that occurs in my home, someone will show up and my dog can get out. I don't know if firefighters or police look for crated pets.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:38 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
How do crated pets get out if there is a house fire or flood? I feel that at least if that occurs in my home, someone will show up and my dog can get out. I don't know if firefighters or police look for crated pets.
No one can miss a crated pet. I use to think it was cruel until I had a hard time house training a puppy. I still have the crate and have bought another one as they love to crawl in for some time out. The doors are left open so they aren't locked in unless I'm training a foster dog.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
How would any other dog get outside in case of fire or flood, they still can't work the doorknobs.

Our dogs are/were crate trained (which I still highly recommend for puppies and some inside dogs). We had them indoors for years, crated at night and when we were gone, all for their safety of course. They were only out on leases or supervised. Looking back I think it was a terribly selfish thing for us to do to them. They LOVE to be outside and spend most of their time outdoors now. There is little chance they will be dog-napped or harassed where we live. I work at home so they are not 'alone' all the time. I do think some dogs are more suited for indoor life and others are happier outside.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:01 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Since none of my dogs were ever crated, I have no idea where people usually keep the crates in their homes. My dog's safe place is in his bed under my desk in my office. However, I do know of someone whose dogs were crated in the basement and when the basement flooded the dogs drowned.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Well, reason number 1 it's HOT!

I only leave my dogs outside while i'm home, but they don't like it, they sit by the door and want to come in. They like to be outside while we are outside, otherwise they just pout by the door. Silly, really!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:44 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
I can see him from inside from almost anywhere in the house and if we leave he's in but I'll let him stay out or a few hours if he wants. He has access to our porch w/ fans on it at all times and all he has to do is sit by the door and he gets let in. He likes to sun and our yard is fully secure(fence goes under ground about 2 feet). He doesn't dig! He loves it! no one lives behind us, neighbors on either side have new fences and he's waiting for that day when he can catch a raccoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs