Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,503,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you read the part where I said we live in a ROW-house? Unless the thief is Spiderman & can climb over a house, I don't think anyone but a neighbor would be able to gain access. That's why I said my neighbors wouldn't do it, since you really don't have to worry about anyone else getting into the yards. There is literally 1mm of space between our homes, and I'm in the middle of a cluster of about 20 houses - so that would have to be one determined person! We also have a dog-door, as I mentioned, and Rudy would RUN back inside if a stranger jumped over. So no, I'm not concerned about him being dog-napped... he's usually inside anyway, unless it's a particularly beautiful day.
That's great Gizmo, sounds like there's a lot working in your favor there. I was really telling that story for the benefit of anyone who leaves their dog in their backyard. Even with a locked gate, it's amazing how bold these criminals can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

As to liability, BOTH Animal Control and SCDEHC have told me that as long as there are clear warning signs on ALL sides of his pen then I am not liable if someone is bitten. Again, the "walls" ( made of chain link)of his pen are 6ft high.
There might be differences state-to-state, but I don't put any signage up because, as I understand it for my state, posting a "Beware of Dog" sign is an admittance of having a dangerous dog; it works against you.

I have not checked with a lawyer, so I can't say it's a fact, but this is what I've heard from a few different sources.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,042,279 times
Quote:
I agree, especially on days like today when I'm gone from 8am-10pm! I do have roommates who come home earlier in the day, but I used to live alone - and I've always had a dog-door for that reason. Rudy is very well potty-trained, and would probably hold it longer than is safe.

P.S. I'm not sure what your set-up is at home, but they do make sliding-glass dog doors... I have one now, and they're really easy to install!
Im glad someone agrees with me!

There is no place for doggie doors or anything of the sort ( or Id have one lol)
I have to physically take him by the collar every morning, walk him down the steps, into the yard and into his pen ( without my hand leaving his collar).
Guess Im going to have to take some pictures and play show-n-tell....

[quote=riveree;5133629]There might be differences state-to-state, but I don't put any signage up because, as I understand it for my state, posting a "Beware of Dog" sign is an admittance of having a dangerous dog; it works against you.

Really? Ive never heard of that. What state are you in?
SC law ( to my knowledge, but Im no lawyer) is generally that of "Signs= You had fair warning"....but then again, my state allows you to shoot someone who is invading your home ( as long as they're in the house) . But thats a whole 'nother topic...;-P

Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,181,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Seems like I read a lot of this lately?

For those that do, what are your reasons for not leaving your dog unattended in your yard, for any length of time?

- Assuming your yard is fenced or you have some e-collar.
We never leave our dogs unattended in our yard for their safety. We own APBTs and even though they are very, very friendly there are plenty of people out there that know nothing about this breed and hate them, and/or are scared of them because they believe all of the crazy myths, twisted stories and over-dramatic media hype that they hear about the 3 "pit bull" breeds. Where we live we have had "pit bulls" come up missing and then later found dead somewhere , I just couldn't leave my dogs in the yard and not be worried sick about something like that happening to them. I also wouldn't want them to get out and get hit by a car or get stolen, and I wouldn't want any other animals coming into our yard and hurting our dogs.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 PM

96 posts, read 258,633 times
Damn I wish I hadn't read this thread. I've always left my dog outside in good weather when I'm gone. My backyard is fenced in, she has a doghouse, plenty of shade, water, padlock on the gate. I live in a quiet, low crime neighborhood but now after reading the previous posts I'm having second thoughts. I guess I'm naive but I never really thought about someone trying to steal her out of the yard. She's a shepherd mix and I hope she would attack if provoked but she's also a chowhound so if someone bribed her with food who knows. Last night she cornered a raccoon against the garage and was in the process of trying to kill it when I had to run outside with a broom to push her back and give the raccoon an opportunity to make a run for it. Scared me to death.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That's great Gizmo, sounds like there's a lot working in your favor there. I was really telling that story for the benefit of anyone who leaves their dog in their backyard. Even with a locked gate, it's amazing how bold these criminals can be.
Well, you were directing it at me... but I get your point.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im glad someone agrees with me!

There is no place for doggie doors or anything of the sort ( or Id have one lol)
I have to physically take him by the collar every morning, walk him down the steps, into the yard and into his pen ( without my hand leaving his collar).
Guess Im going to have to take some pictures and play show-n-tell....
LOL... I was about to do the same, to explain my neighborhood of row-houses (which is just about every neighborhood in San Francisco). I've been lucky enough to have direct access to yards/patios since I got Rudy, and that makes things soooooo much easier. Honestly, I'm not sure how I would handle living in a different situation, like a condo or high-rise. Both of us would be annoyed!

Quote:
There might be differences state-to-state, but I don't put any signage up because, as I understand it for my state, posting a "Beware of Dog" sign is an admittance of having a dangerous dog; it works against you.

SC law ( to my knowledge, but Im no lawyer) is generally that of "Signs= You had fair warning"....but then again, my state allows you to shoot someone who is invading your home ( as long as they're in the house) . But thats a whole 'nother topic...;-P
I also haven't heard that, about it working against you... I think it's the opposite in California, and you can be liable without a warning sign. I have one on the front gate, mostly to keep out thieves from the neighboring streets (it's a BAD part of town). It always scares delivery guys, though, and I have to yell "He's friendly!" before they will approach the door.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:32 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,042,279 times
Quote:
LOL... I was about to do the same, to explain my neighborhood of row-houses (which is just about every neighborhood in San Francisco). I've been lucky enough to have direct access to yards/patios since I got Rudy, and that makes things soooooo much easier. Honestly, I'm not sure how I would handle living in a different situation, like a condo or high-rise. Both of us would be annoyed!

I also haven't heard that, about it working against you... I think it's the opposite in California, and you can be liable without a warning sign. I have one on the front gate, mostly to keep out thieves from the neighboring streets (it's a BAD part of town). It always scares delivery guys, though, and I have to yell "He's friendly!" before they will approach the door.
Yeah..it seems like a warning sign should be sufficient to tell others of the danger behind the pen?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:11 PM

[quote=Colddiamond102;5133706]

Quote:

I'm in Florida, where we can shoot each other with barely any provocation either (you have to feel your life is in danger, and then you're good )! We can shoot each other in restaurants, parking lots, gas stations....wherever .

The law is a funny thing. If a criminal climbs over your fence and is bitten by your dog, in some states the criminal can sue you . So until I get the final word, no signs at my house.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMlover View Post
Damn I wish I hadn't read this thread. I've always left my dog outside in good weather when I'm gone. My backyard is fenced in, she has a doghouse, plenty of shade, water, padlock on the gate. I live in a quiet, low crime neighborhood but now after reading the previous posts I'm having second thoughts. I guess I'm naive but I never really thought about someone trying to steal her out of the yard. She's a shepherd mix and I hope she would attack if provoked but she's also a chowhound so if someone bribed her with food who knows. Last night she cornered a raccoon against the garage and was in the process of trying to kill it when I had to run outside with a broom to push her back and give the raccoon an opportunity to make a run for it. Scared me to death.
Everyone has to evaluate their own risk level, and you can see that happening in this thread. I've known people whose dogs were stolen from their yards. I've known people who don't have dogs who have found dogs in their backyard when the dogs busted through the fence they share with their townhouse neighbors (you come home and there are 2 pit bulls in your backyard !).

The estimate is that there are tens of thousands of dogfighters across America. They are a highly organized bunch and almost as a rule, they do not raise their own bait dogs, they get them through other means. They might get some through the local dog pound and other "legitimate" means, but for the most part, they are stealing people's pets .

We haven't even touched on the people that steal dogs to sell to labs for experimentation...there are all kinds of creeps out there we hope will never get near our dogs .

Here is what the Humane Society says in their articles for their campaign against dogfighting:

Animals in communities where dogfighting exists are also in danger for another reason—birds, rabbits, cats, small dogs and other animals are often captured or stolen and typically killed during training sessions where they are used as bait for fighting dogs.

Dog Eat Dog: The Bloodthirsty Underworld of Dogfighting (http://www.hsus.org/acf/fighting/dogfight/dog_eat_dog_the_bloodthirsty_underworld_of_dogfigh ting.html - broken link)

And from Best Friends:

What they also may be surprised to learn is just how common and widespread dog fighting is. A July 19 story in the Boston Herald reports that dogfighting takes place just about everywhere. It's not just in inner cities; it's in small towns and affluent communities.

Animal Cruelty Dogfighting Is Widespread And In Every Community

TCMLover, I would say, at the very least, be sure the gates are locked from the inside on your fence. Make it difficult for someone to steal your dog and you lessen your risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs