Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,394,051 times

Advertisements

thank you SO much worldcitizen, leorah, and tnp...yall got me so motivated that i can do it on my own.
tnp. my dogs would not even poke their heads out or paw or try to bend the fence at all. they are very much docile homebodies..so i have no worries about cheap light fencing. just need a visual barrier.
will report back to yall in a few weeks to let you know if i accomplished my mission. i might even take a pic if it comes out good!
yall are the best. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM

leorah, one question about the wedgeloc stuff....it looks like it is parts to attach tubular steel across ways....i wouldnt be making that fancy of a fence.
i just want to somehow put up t-posts and stretch hogwire/field fence/stock fence around the posts and use whatever (ties or barb wire) to tighten the edges...so i dont think those wedge loc things would do anything for me. i am lucky if i will get the posts to stand up. never used concrete before!! wouldnt know how!

and i wonder why the wedgeloc website says that it eliminates need to dig postholes? how does it? you still have to pound or dig or set posts into the ground!!! i am so confused. (see, i am clueless, i am not technically inclined. i can save a life but i cant build a dadgum thang)

Last edited by NOTAM; 09-13-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: add

Old 09-13-2008, 06:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,916,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Wow, I wish I had known about those a couple of years ago. Those would have come in handy!
Yeah, me too! Someone told me later that I could have mixed some dry Quickrete with a little water until it was crumbly and packed that around the rocks so when it rained the concrete would get wet enough to solidify and I'd have had an easy way to set the posts in cement. Oh well....

Old 09-13-2008, 07:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,916,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
leorah, one question about the wedgeloc stuff....it looks like it is parts to attach tubular steel across ways....i wouldnt be making that fancy of a fence.
i just want to somehow put up t-posts and stretch hogwire/field fence/stock fence around the posts and use whatever (ties or barb wire) to tighten the edges...so i dont think those wedge loc things would do anything for me. i am lucky if i will get the posts to stand up. never used concrete before!! wouldnt know how!

and i wonder why the wedgeloc website says that it eliminates need to dig postholes? how does it? you still have to pound or dig or set posts into the ground!!! i am so confused. (see, i am clueless, i am not technically inclined. i can save a life but i cant build a dadgum thang)
I think lots of times when you build a fence you have to set the corner posts in cement because they take all of the stress from the rest of the fence and if they aren't real rigid the fence collapses. I know some local farmers use wood posts on the corners and t-posts in between. I had to use a guy wire like on a telephone pole to keep my corner posts standing straight and I used t-posts. I think the wedgelock things are good to brace the corner posts so you don't have to set them in concrete or use guy wires. Now your fence isn't going to be very big so you may be okay just pounding the corners in real deep. Someone told me AFTER I had set my fence up that I could have mixed some dry concrete with a little water and put that in a hole around the fence posts and the concrete would set after the next rain. I think they told me it was called dry packing the posts. I learned a lot just by getting started and seeing what worked. You will too. And the folks at TSC should be helpful, and can probably give you advice.
I used baling wire to attach the hogwire to the posts. It cuts easily and is soft enough to work with. Just remember to use gloves!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Leorah, you are ONE TOUGH WOMAN. i hereby brand you an HONORARY TEXAN!!!
thanks for all the info!!! and yes i will use all your wonderful advice, and all the rest of yalls, and i know TSC will be very helpful, esp since my TSC is in small town rural Texas...will definitely report back on it. will start the project next weekend, weather permitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I think lots of times when you build a fence you have to set the corner posts in cement because they take all of the stress from the rest of the fence and if they aren't real rigid the fence collapses. I know some local farmers use wood posts on the corners and t-posts in between. I had to use a guy wire like on a telephone pole to keep my corner posts standing straight and I used t-posts. I think the wedgelock things are good to brace the corner posts so you don't have to set them in concrete or use guy wires. Now your fence isn't going to be very big so you may be okay just pounding the corners in real deep. Someone told me AFTER I had set my fence up that I could have mixed some dry concrete with a little water and put that in a hole around the fence posts and the concrete would set after the next rain. I think they told me it was called dry packing the posts. I learned a lot just by getting started and seeing what worked. You will too. And the folks at TSC should be helpful, and can probably give you advice.
I used baling wire to attach the hogwire to the posts. It cuts easily and is soft enough to work with. Just remember to use gloves!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:37 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,533,734 times
T-post work great and and use large hammer small mall instead of stake pounder as cheaper or may be able to borrow or find at a rent a center. Dry packing post I did with my deck after did mixed underneath poles just to test it works. When putting up panels do 1 post set up panel and set next post so less measuring. They may have ties that you can use to strap them on just make sure if tie with wire products cut side faces out so not get a dog in the eye. I have to use 6 ft high fences with my hounds but have used sheep and hog panels before and worked good.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,523,598 times
Either dry packing the cement or mixing with water works. Dry packing is easier, but I like to mix it just to make sure, and then let it set at least a day before attaching the fence.

They make clips for attaching the fence to the t-posts, but I found them difficult to crimp with pliers. The new posts I just put up I used baling wire instead, and that was much easier.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 PM

thanks for all the helpful hints..keep em coming, i am listening!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,440,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post

That's what my friend had for her 2 pugs - it was like a big ex-pen but was cattle wire fencing w/ posts every few feet - no gates but you could climb over it (her dogs had no interest in getting over the fence and they weren't outside for very long either, she never left them out unattended) - it was shaped in a semi-circle or rectangle that went from one end of the house to the other. When she'd mow the lawn, she'd take it down. It lasted for years and was a godsend and nice b/c it was so inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs