Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:25 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times

Advertisements

I am moving to a trailer way out in the country in the next two weeks. I have a pug and boston terrier, both adult non diggers, non jumpers. I have always made sure that no matter where I live, they have a doggy door to a backyard for access to potty since I am an RN and work alot. (though they are housebroken and have never pottied in the house).

I am all by myself here, with no family or husband, and so I have to fend for myself.

I am going to tackle the project of putting up a small fence that will go around the front deck and front door (that will have a doggy door installed). So.........my idea of making this easy is to buy some t-posts and a post driver, and some field/stock fencinng, and then just wrap the fencing around the t-posts. It wont be professional looking or pretty but all I really need is a visual barrier for my dogs.

Any hints/ideas/feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 02:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Just good luck. I admire you for doing this by yourself.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
I would be more than willing to figure it out and help you too if I lived near you. You can get some info. if you go to the list of threads on the main page. There is a topic called House. There are people in there who would tell you exactly how to do it. I have posted in there about house stuff and there is alot of knowledable people there. Anything that pertains to a home or property you can ask in there...they will help.
Good luck....

Old 09-13-2008, 03:02 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Leorah posted an idea a while back on an easy to install dog fence. You should maybe dm her!

BTW - You CAN do it!!!

girl power

Old 09-13-2008, 03:08 PM

thanks yall. I will try to find Leorah's post, if not, will direct message her.

to the one who says they admire me...there is nothing to admire, i have no choice. i dont have a hubby or boyfriend. its just me and the dogs alone in this big world.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 PM

ok i found the link Leorah had posted once...about Best Friends Dog Fence. but for 289 bucks, i guarantee it would cost much less just buying field fence and a few t posts at TSC..............

Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default the more men I know the more I like my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
thanks yall. I will try to find Leorah's post, if not, will direct message her.

to the one who says they admire me...there is nothing to admire, i have no choice. i dont have a hubby or boyfriend. its just me and the dogs alone in this big world.
You'd be surprised the things I do and the fact that I can do it really seems to annoy a lot of good old boys -- if you know what I mean.

I actually helped build a 6 foot privacy fence where I lived before. I can tell you that 6 foot panels are too heavy for most women to handle (like me) and a fence like that costs a lot more, too.

I've seen those things that bang in those steel posts you're talking about. You buy them at farm supply stores. If you have good soil without a lot of rocks, that shouldn't be too hard to do. It seems to me that the hard part of working with that kind of fence would be attaching it to the posts. Just be sure you wear gloves and have the right tools.

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-13-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 04:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Belle, I've put up a fence myself and it's not too hard if the soil isn't full of rocks (like it is here in New England). Your dogs are small so hogwire would work. When I did my fence I found that the corner posts were the ones that were the most important, since if they aren't secure the rest of the fence goes slack. I used a guy wire on the corner posts and pounded rocks around the base to keep them firmly in the ground. I then ran a string from corner post to corner post and spaced the t-posts between them. Then I unrolled the hogwire and flattened it before I stretched it. I didn't have a come-along so I threaded a piece of old rebar through the end of the piece of wire and tied a rope to the ends, then ran the rope around a post and pulled on it to stretch the wire. I tied off the rope while I secured the wire to the post and then went on to the next one. Nowadays they make diagonal braces that would probably make the process easier. The probably have them at Tractor Supply. Wedge Loc-Bracing Hardware for T-Post Fencing.

My little old fence lasted for years and years. It wasn't pretty but it did the job. You can do it! Best wishes!!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
That's the kind of fence I have. Depending on how big it's going to be, you might want to put a wooden post at every corner, and maybe halfway between, set in concrete, to make it sturdy. Then set your t-posts every 6-8 feet. There are a couple of different types of field fence. I used 5 ft. high fence with the small square holes, so that the neighbor dogs can't stick their heads through it and bite my dog, but I noticed that the fence with the larger holes is quite a bit stronger. Get a post hole digger and a post driver, to make it easier. If you don't want to invest in a stretching tool, you can use a broom handle to stretch it tight against your posts.

Field fencing is ok, but it's not quite as sturdy as chain link, so I still won't let my dog outside unattended. Field fencing is pretty easy for a dog to push out along the bottom to get out, because it's not as tight as chain link. The welded parts tear apart easily, so it's kind of hard to stretch it really tight without breaking it. If you're only doing a small space and can set the posts closer than 6 feet apart, you might not have that problem. Also, my dog is a 75 pounder who can easily push into the fence, where your dogs are smaller and might not be able to push on it hard enough to get out. You can get tent stakes to keep the bottom of the fence closer to the ground, if you have the kind of soil that will hold them in good. Or if you can dig a little trench, you can set the bottom of the fence in the trench and then fill the dirt back in around it. I had over an acre to do, so I couldn't afford to put my posts any closer together and my soil is way too rocky to easily dig a trench, but I'm slowly but surely adding a post here and there as I can, to make it a bit tighter. I'm like you, no man around, just me and the dog.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:26 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Nowadays they make diagonal braces that would probably make the process easier. The probably have them at Tractor Supply. Wedge Loc-Bracing Hardware for T-Post Fencing.
Wow, I wish I had known about those a couple of years ago. Those would have come in handy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs