Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 07:34 AM

86 posts, read 401,996 times

Advertisements

and it is bothering my dog. Neighbors cats (2) are outdoor cats. They are
coming into my yard (fenced) and fighting with my dog (60lbs). They are
lunging at him, and scratching him and causing him grief. I just want my
dog to be able to roam his OWN YARD without fear of this cat coming in.

What can be done??? Is there anything I can do to keep the cats out??

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
Had the same problem and a bb gun (not powerful at all) kept them out, they dont come in anymore.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,354 times
Water bottle if you're around to spray/inhibit, but there's also some kind of spray you can put down to mark the territory--not sure if it works, but I've seen it through pet supply places. A bb gun is NOT a good idea and can cause serious injury/death to the cat!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM

Worked first time so IMHO was a great idea.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Try something other than a lethal weapon (lethal for something small, like a cat). Don't want your neighbors suing you. Go outside with your dog and spray the cats with water (mine hate a water bottle). You can also talk to your neighbors about what a nuisance the cats are b/c I'm sure they're also peeing in your yard, which smells terrible. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
If you can get close enough with the spray bottle, I'd try that first. If you can't reach, try turning the hose on them.

Cats dislike citrus, so you could scatter some orange/lemon peels in their path (some lemon juice would help too). They also dislike black pepper smell, you can buy a big bottle at Costco or Sam's Club and sprinkle that around. Your dogs won't like these smells either, but it won't hurt them.

Last resort is human urine spread in the path of the cats .

Old 09-16-2008, 07:03 AM

86 posts, read 401,996 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try everything (except BB gun). I do not
dislike cats... I just want them out of my yard and leaving my dog alone.

Has anyone heard of "cat repellant" from the pet store??

Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Water bottle if you're around to spray/inhibit, but there's also some kind of spray you can put down to mark the territory--not sure if it works, but I've seen it through pet supply places. A bb gun is NOT a good idea and can cause serious injury/death to the cat!
I think the BB gun in question would be the Red Rider variety. Maximum BB velocity is about 80 fps. At ten yards the BB is moving about as fast as you could throw it. Hardly lethal, but uncomfortable and memorable.

A powerful air rifle would be a good implement for discouraging cats, but only if you wanted to do so permanently.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip66 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try everything (except BB gun). I do not
dislike cats... I just want them out of my yard and leaving my dog alone.

Has anyone heard of "cat repellant" from the pet store??
I think that the cat repellant is basically white vinegar. Many cats have an aversive response to vinegar. You might try filling a spray bottle with vinegar and dosing the likely ingress points.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think the BB gun in question would be the Red Rider variety. Maximum BB velocity is about 80 fps. At ten yards the BB is moving about as fast as you could throw it. Hardly lethal, but uncomfortable and memorable.
Exactly! I didnt say put a BB or air rifle to the back of the head and execute the thing! I have tried some cat spray from PetSmart I think it was and it didnt work.

I dont like cats and have not made it a secret but I really hate cat owners that allow their cats to roam outside their house and all over my yard. I have bad allergies to cats too which is why the BB is the best option for me.

I have a dog and do everything I can to minimise other peoples exposure to him because I know people dont like him as much as I do. He is in my house and in my yard, and if not there he is on a leash walking with me. If my dog roamed like the neighbors cats did I would have hefty fines from Animal Control and would not doubt that he would have been put down by now by the courts. I do not differentiate between a dog and a cat. I wish more cat owners would do more to keep their cats in the houses, or like my wifes aunt, who built a HUGE enclosure outside for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs