Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip66 View Post
and it is bothering my dog. Neighbors cats (2) are outdoor cats. They are
coming into my yard (fenced) and fighting with my dog (60lbs). They are
lunging at him, and scratching him and causing him grief. I just want my
dog to be able to roam his OWN YARD without fear of this cat coming in.

What can be done??? Is there anything I can do to keep the cats out??

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Put orange peel around the yard, as cats really don not like orange peel.

How to Use Orange Peels to Repel Animals from Plants - Home Guide

Cats have a right to wander under most legal systems, and there are also criminals laws in relation to animal cruelty and even criminal damage in relation to cats, as they are the property of their owner.

They are also often just folowing thewir natural instincts and should not be harmed in anyway whatsoever.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:21 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Suggestions that harm or possibly the cat are disgusting. I don't want other critters in my yard, but I would never intentionally cause harm.

Trap the cat. Take it to owner and say next time it goes to the pound. Stick to your word. This is on them, not the cat.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Suggestions that harm or possibly the cat are disgusting. I don't want other critters in my yard, but I would never intentionally cause harm.

Trap the cat. Take it to owner and say next time it goes to the pound. Stick to your word. This is on them, not the cat.
So you'd let the pound kill it instead, got it.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So you'd let the pound kill it instead, got it.
Because no cats are ever adopted. I've always gotten my cats from a shelter. And yes, I know how many are put down everyday. That doesn't mean I am going to go around shooting or poisoning people's pets because many are euthanized anyway.

And in then end, I'd rather a shelter humanely euthanize a cat if it comes to that. And in my post I clearly said take it to the owners first. You should always try to resolve it like adults.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace2006 View Post
Ok, so I plan to trap them in my yard and take them to animal control in the next county. Why do I have to put up with cats? Do roaming cats have more rights than a dog in her own fenced yard? If the owner won't keep them out of my yard, they are going to removed permanently. Sorry, but my dog and my yard don't want any cats.
Trapping a cat whose owner is known to you and taking it to animal control is stealing. A pet is a person's property. You don't have the right to remove the pet from its owner.

If there are no laws in your jurisdiction preventing the roaming of cats, then yes, they do have the right to be in your yard. It's up to you to keep them out if their owner lets them roam.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Trapping a cat whose owner is known to you and taking it to animal control is stealing. A pet is a person's property. You don't have the right to remove the pet from its owner.

If there are no laws in your jurisdiction preventing the roaming of cats, then yes, they do have the right to be in your yard. It's up to you to keep them out if their owner lets them roam.
I don't think that's true, when the animal is on your property.

The poster said she was going to take it to the animal shelter in the next county, which is wrong and might be some kind of a violation.

But humanely trapping a nuisance animal that is repeatedly on your property and taking it to animal control is perfectly legal. Especially if the poster says this is a stray, and has been a repeated nuisance in my fenced yard and has attacked my dog on my property, but I suspect the owner is _____.

Another idea is to borrow the kind of dog that could run the cats off.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:19 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
You should perhaps explain to the neighbors that they are putting their cats in jeopardy by allowing them to roam free...outside cats usually live only 2-3 years, while indoor cats can live into their 20's. If your (or someone else's) dog gets fed up, enough, who knows what could happen...poor kitties, it's not their fault their owners are negligent! PLEASE don't hurt them, (and shame on ALL of you monsters who suggested BB guns!!!) If the neighbors still refuse to keep their cats indoors, you should call the Humane Society and report it, because putting their lives in danger this way IS animal abuse. Why do people get pets and leave them outside like that?! I'll never understand! Even my dogs only go outside when I'm WITH them, (yes, even if we're just in the yard which is completely fenced in...!) and my cats never wanted to go outside at all, they enjoy being in the house with their human friends when they're being treated right!
I've had 2 outdoor cats, no fault of my own, who were left by vacating neighbors who wanted them to be left in familiar surroundings.

They both lived to be 21 years old. Now, mind you, I would let them in if they wanted in (such as bad weather). One wouldn't stay inside, afraid of my dogs, so I bought a cat covered litter box, insulated it on the outside, bought a heating pad for pets, put it inside with bed, put it on my porch and it loved it. Of course I fed them too. Lived a loooooooooooooog time. 21 years old. Yep.

If I chose to have a cat, I'd want it to be indoor only because of other people's cats roaming and fighting with it.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Call animal control.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:

According to Humane Society:

"In most communities, it is not illegal to trap stray animals. Cats that are allowed to roam at large, outside the control of their caregivers, are indeed considered stray..."

Old 11-16-2018, 10:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Have you talked to your neighbor at all? In a civil manner, without threats or anger? Seems to me that would be the first attempt at solving the problem.

Naturally you don't want to hurt or traumatize the cat. A squirt of water is a harmless way to deter a cat. You can get motion-detector sprinklers that will shoot water whenever the cat is in range.

What a cruel, repulsive, and disgusting thing to do. So it's OK to torture your neighbor's cat? What would you have dont if the situation had been reversed and they caught your dog and tortured it?
How do you find this cruel? A few hours in a cage won't harm him unless he has a heart attack, but it would sure cure him from going over the fence to aggravate the dog again. Nothing wrong with putting a bit of fear into him so that he learns the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs