Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 PM

103 posts, read 428,350 times

Advertisements

I agree with the person who suggested water. I have a spray bottle of water under my kitchen sink for misc. animal problems, including shooing away the neighbors cats who like to lay in full view of my dogs - they're such teases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
Cayenne pepper usually repels cats, so you could sprinkle that around the base of the fence... that's how I kept one of mine from peeing on our houseplants!!

My childhood cats used to sit on our fence and tease the neighbor's dogs - they were 100+ lb. Great Danes, and terrified of our 10-15 lb. kitties. LOL! Cats are such brats, aren't they?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,950,644 times
If it continually happened to me, and I didn't know who the neighbors were, I'd set a trap in my backyard and take them to the Humane Society or call Animal Control.

If I did know the neighbors, I'd warn them that I was going to do this first.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM

41,999 posts, read 75,328,187 times
Have you talked to your neighbor at all? In a civil manner, without threats or anger? Seems to me that would be the first attempt at solving the problem.

Naturally you don't want to hurt or traumatize the cat. A squirt of water is a harmless way to deter a cat. You can get motion-detector sprinklers that will shoot water whenever the cat is in range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I had this problem. I used a Havahart trap and caught it, out of sight of the neighbors. I let the cat stay there all day while the dog nosed and barked at him. The fear reversed and the cat became afraid of the dog. When I opened the door, the cat ran home about 100 mph and never returned.
What a cruel, repulsive, and disgusting thing to do. So it's OK to torture your neighbor's cat? What would you have dont if the situation had been reversed and they caught your dog and tortured it?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,462,045 times
Please....try talking to your neighbor and state your problem with their cats invading your yard. In many counties/states, cats are no longer suppose to roam free. Maybe, finding out the law before hand and letting your neighbors know (if it is indeed against the law), they will keep their pets in.
If all else fails....a shot from the hose should deter them. Please don't harm them. Remember, they are someone's pet too.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:31 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,987,532 times
If you own a cat, keep control of it. Meaning keep it inside, where it won't terrorize other peoples pets and urinate on other peoples property.

I had a similar incident. Neighbors cats(4) peed and pooped all over my property constantly. It's just wonderful to smell cat poop and pee when you open your front door, where you have a garden, full of beautifully smelling flowers, only to be masked by stench.

This is what I did. I confronted my neighbor, very politely I might add. They flat out denied that they owned any cats. Even though I see them opening the door to let them in and out. With that, I said "fine, they are not your cats, so they must be strays".

I generally don't like to harm animals, so I got loaner traps from the local ASPCA. I set it up with tuna fish, quickly I got two and took them to the shelter. The other two were on to my actions, so they avoided the trap, but continued to defecate on my property. One day, in my fenced yard, one of the little f@**ers scratched my dogs eye. Off to the vet we went. Came out $400.00 less in my pocket.

Then, it was war. Picked up an airsoft BB gun. After hitting them a few times, they never crossed the curb again.

Months after, the same neighbor had the gall to ask if I'd seen the other "neighborhood" cats. I said the last time I saw those two rodents, they were being taken out of the trap I put them in, at the shelter. The look on his face was priceless. I told him any other cats enter onto my property will meet the same fate.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,425,730 times
I feel your pain Mike409. If there are strict laws for me to contain my dog they should be just as strict for cats. Not everybody loves a cat, like their owners and more people need to realise that.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,594,934 times
You should perhaps explain to the neighbors that they are putting their cats in jeopardy by allowing them to roam free...outside cats usually live only 2-3 years, while indoor cats can live into their 20's. If your (or someone else's) dog gets fed up, enough, who knows what could happen...poor kitties, it's not their fault their owners are negligent! PLEASE don't hurt them, (and shame on ALL of you monsters who suggested BB guns!!!) If the neighbors still refuse to keep their cats indoors, you should call the Humane Society and report it, because putting their lives in danger this way IS animal abuse. Why do people get pets and leave them outside like that?! I'll never understand! Even my dogs only go outside when I'm WITH them, (yes, even if we're just in the yard which is completely fenced in...!) and my cats never wanted to go outside at all, they enjoy being in the house with their human friends when they're being treated right!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,987,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
You should perhaps explain to the neighbors that they are putting their cats in jeopardy by allowing them to roam free...outside cats usually live only 2-3 years, while indoor cats can live into their 20's. If your (or someone else's) dog gets fed up, enough, who knows what could happen...poor kitties, it's not their fault their owners are negligent! PLEASE don't hurt them, (and shame on ALL of you monsters who suggested BB guns!!!) If the neighbors still refuse to keep their cats indoors, you should call the Humane Society and report it, because putting their lives in danger this way IS animal abuse. Why do people get pets and leave them outside like that?! I'll never understand! Even my dogs only go outside when I'm WITH them, (yes, even if we're just in the yard which is completely fenced in...!) and my cats never wanted to go outside at all, they enjoy being in the house with their human friends when they're being treated right!

"Monsters with BB guns".

Are you serious? In my case, the cat owner refused to take responsibility for even owning the cats, let alone continually damaging my property. For your information, I did call my animal control. Would you like to know what they said? "We don't bother with stray cats, their is just too many calls on them. For people who live within the county, we loan people cages to set up to catch the cats".
I even tried all the "home remedies" of spreading cayenne pepper, moth balls and citrus. I even purchased stuff called "Shake-Away". Nothing worked. So, I'm wasting MY time and money to try and control other peoples pets. Nice, huh? I have other thing to do in life.

I ask YOU, if someone has tried every avenue with no results and the county refuses to help, then what? Live with the small of sewage and have my dogs other eye injured? Is that more humane? I DON'T THINK SO!!

Not for nothing, but a lot more damage could have been done to these cats. whether you or anyone else believes it or not, using a BB gun IS humane, compared to other options when you've tried everything that is politically correct. Yes, your right, it's not the cats fault, but it's not mine either.

DON'T BLAME US EVIL "MONSTERS" FOR ANY INJURY TO ROAMING PETS, BLAME THE OWNER OF SAID PETS.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,594,934 times
Yes, Mike409, I deem anyone who uses a weapon against any creature smaller and weaker a monster...call me crazy, but maybe if there's a consistent problem with strays and/or other peoples' pets roaming, you should supervise your dog when you let him out. I agree it's not fair, it's HIS yard, and it sucks. Maybe a BB gun is more humane that killing cats outright, as you have alluded, but it's still abusive.

As I said, I agree the owners are to blame. Cats should NOT be allowed to roam freely, it is dangerous to them and to other animals. (Especially when it's Toms who aren't fixed running around!) I wish everyone who had pets would recognize them as viable family members and take care of them properly, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who are negligent and the problem persists.

As to who is to blame for roaming animals' injury & death, it is equally divided between the owner (if there is one) and the human monster who aims the gun.

If you didn't feel guilty about your actions on some level, you would not have been so defensive and angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs