Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:45 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsmom View Post
WOW, N.I.L.I.F was an eye opener for me!!! It is going to be very hard for me to be so stern but reading what you have suggested is extremely helpful. I know that Rebel's behavior won't change if I don't change my behavior. It's just so hard and I love him so much but a mom's gotta do what a mom has to do. I just don't want to hurt his feelings but he is dog.
Thank you all so much!!!!
Rebel's mom.
Just a note: Using NILIF doesn't mean you have to be stern. You can still be loving and affectionate toward your dog, and you should be. You are just establishing boundaries for acceptable behavior. I know others may disagree with me on what I'm about to say, but dogs aren't human and they don't experience the same emotions as humans do. You won't hurt his feelings by setting limits for him. Dogs NEED to know where they stand in the social heirarchy, and they don't really care if they are at the top or the bottom as long as they know where they stand.

So, don't feel guilty or sad or think you're hurting his feelings or embarrassing him. You won't be. You will be giving him the guidance he needs to live as a happy member of the family he loves. Not much is better than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,033 times
Don't feel bad about discipline. You wouldn't want your children (if you have them) running wild or other people taking advantage of you or behaving inappropriately right? Wouldn't you set a boundary with someone if they were yelling at you and threatening you? That's basically what he is doing when he growls - he's threatening you. Maybe thinking of it in that context will help you be firm. Otherwise he will assume the leadership roll and that's not the right roll for a family pet. Good luck - it's hard work being consistent whether it's with your pets or people .

Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,051,258 times
It seems that labs and lab mixes may be very much that way... the way your described your dog.

More than any dog breed I've ever owned, you HAVE to set limits for them. Some of the stuff you described in your OP is stuff I'm dealing with right now with my 8 month old lab mix.

I'm simply amazed at how stubborn my dog is and how demanding.... and I've had dogs my whole life.

Nothing in life is free, huh??? Sounds like a plan.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,033 times
I meant "role" not "roll" LOL. I must have been hungry

Old 10-18-2008, 01:13 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,550,583 times
Quote:
When he growls, (which is really talking) he is just doing it to get the boyfriend off the couch, then he jumps up there with me.
No, it's not really talking, it is asserting his dominance and being rewarded with you and your bf's submission. Very very bad.

Quote:
You guys are exactly right that he needs to know I am the pack leader I am just having a tough time getting him there.
I think this is the classis "dog whisperer" episode. Over and over you see the same episode with different owners. Dogs misbehavior is really owners behavior that allows the behavior.

Your BF needs to step up. Our small inside dogs thought "growling" is just talking and they learned very quickly and consistently that is not tolerated. No animal growls at me or any other family member to get off the couch... EVER.

What's it going to take to get him there? A bite? A mauling? A child torn to pieces for being on the dog's couch? It's really serious although I am using sarcasm.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 61,959 times
Thank you all again for your insight. I went home from work on Friday and when I walked in, I started MY new behavior. I did exactly like you all suggested and N.I.L.I.F and ignored him for the first 5-10 minutes as opposed to gushing over him like I normally do. The boyfriend was there and I am happy to say, Rebel did very well. I did give him good affection and am now making him sit or do something before he gets the attention he wants from me. Rebel also pulled the talking/growling routine to get my boyfriend off the couch and we once again ignored him and he went to lay down. I really thought I would be hurting Rebel feeling's b/c I do think he understands everything, but all is well. I am already seeing the changes in Rebel and I know that I will have to continue to teach correctly if I expect to be in charge.
Thank you all!!
Rebel's mom

Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
Quote:
Thank you all again for your insight. I went home from work on Friday and when I walked in, I started MY new behavior. I did exactly like you all suggested and N.I.L.I.F and ignored him for the first 5-10 minutes as opposed to gushing over him like I normally do. The boyfriend was there and I am happy to say, Rebel did very well. I did give him good affection and am now making him sit or do something before he gets the attention he wants from me. Rebel also pulled the talking/growling routine to get my boyfriend off the couch and we once again ignored him and he went to lay down. I really thought I would be hurting Rebel feeling's b/c I do think he understands everything, but all is well. I am already seeing the changes in Rebel and I know that I will have to continue to teach correctly if I expect to be in charge.
Thank you all!!
Rebel's mom
Nice job! It's good to hear that things are moving in a good direction with Rebel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs