Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Chihuahuas aren't good for families with small children. They're simply too fragile, children don't realize they're hurting them and then the dog, worried about being hurt again, bites.

As a rule I would never recommend a toy dog, ANY toy/small dog, to a family with young children. The children usually don't mean to hurt the dog, but they're rough and it happens more frequently than you'd expect. The next thing you know the dog is being given away or euthanized, because, according to the family, it 'bites.' It was only defending itself.

These are not family dogs. They're one person dogs and your puppy is sweet because she's a puppy. They grow into the Chihuahua personality. I have a rescue Chihuahua and she only comes to me.

Also, Chihuahuas need to be VERY warm all year round. They also have major dental issues: you must get the teeth attended to regularly or they'll end up like my rescue girl: no teeth (I had to have them all pulled) and an oral-nasal fistula (abnormal opening). She has an opening between her nose and teeth and saliva comes out of her nose. This happened because her teeth were SO rotten that it ate through the bone that separates her mouth from her nasal cavity.

In summary, this is not a good idea.
Viral hit the nail on the head. I have been around hundreds of dogs in my experience in rescue, being the daughter of a big time breeder, and having family members who are Chihuahua lovers. I do not understand the appeal of Chihuahuas. Of the 20 or so Chihuahuas I have had experience with, a grand total of 1 has a sweet loving personality.

I am a Great Dane lover (bet you would never have guessed that). I have two GDs, and have had Danes over 20 years. They are actually one of the best kid dogs you can have, but most families don't want a dog that size.

My next door neighbor has four Chihuahuas. About a month ago, my deaf Great Dane girl made the mistake of poking her head through the fence via a loose board separating our two homes. The dog bit part of her ear off, injuring her severely. I had to keep her in bandages on antibiotics for a long time.

My sister-in-law has two Chihuahuas and my parents-in-law dogsat for them a few months ago. One of the dogs bit my father in law on the thumb and he had to get stitches. The strange thing is the dog is 6 years old and knows my father-in-law very well. We don't know what set her off. I'm sure you get my drift by now.

I would suggest a larger dog, at least medium sized, that can handle a bit rougher treatment. But be sure to teach your kids and the dog to respect each other and the dog will be a welcome member of the family for many years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
I rescued a Chihuana mix I think mixed with either dachsund or minpin. This was my first small dog, I've had some terriers before, my other dog I have is a 110 pound Olde English Bulldogge so this was basically like giant and mini lol

Small dogs are definately different whether they are chihuahas or other breeds. My bulldog goes around knocking into things where as a chihuana knows he's small and doesn't have a lot of defenses so they are more likely to scurry away. It's hard beecause you can't be as stern with them as a bigger dog or they just get scared and run away so definately different training techniques.

They also seem to be much harder to housetrain. I think part of it is people aren't as adament because their messes are smaller but I also think its somethign about their bladder size or breed or being small that plays a role because everyone ive ever talked to says small dogs are tougher.

As for how a chihuana will be with kids probably not the ideal dog but doable. YOu can let your kids roughhouse with a chihuaha like with other dogs they could easily break a leg or something.

I like to pick puppies based on their behavior but at the same time dont put too much stock in how they are as a puppy. my chihuaha was very dosile, loved to sleep and cuddle as a puppy my gf loved that now that he's like 6 months old much more independent much more active and hper, etc

Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
Scooby, if that's your experience with wowies im a little frightend by your "big time breeder" family
chihuahas are a WONDERFUL breed for the right family.
I grew up with wowies, particularly long haireds, my dads side of the family bred and showed, my parents have 3 currently and the only nasty ones ive EVER met were badly bred and/or NEVER TRAINED.

chihuahaus are DOGS and like all dogs they are each individuals.
they have a lot of terrier like characteristics, they have NO idea how small they are, they think they are rotties, they can be tenacious and stubborn and they bond VERY strongly to their people (which if not properly guided can turn into a resource guarding issue)
however they are also silly intelligent incredibly LOVING little dogs who will do everything in their power to make sure their people know they are loved.

in terms of Chihuahuas with small children...NOT reccomendd (now im talking small kids who don't know the difference between right and wrong, what no means or cannot be trusted ot respect a dogs space...I wont give an age number because kids develop at different rates, I was great with dogs form a VERY young age yet my brother wasn't...every child is different...
Chihuahuas are TINY and a drop even from a few inches can hurt them...
with RESPECFUL gentle kids who understand that this is not a toy, can respect a dogs need for privacy and space and understand they cannot carry them around (for safety reasons) they can be WONDERFUL with kids...I used to share my bed at my grnadparents house with 10-12 of them at any given time

Chihuahuas have BIG personalities...they tend to be clannish and prefer the company of THEIR people and other chihauhas, but if well socialized form day one they can be great with anyone and everyone (my parents oldest chi is a retired therapy dog who spent a good number of years visiting children in the cancer ward and elderly in nursing homes!
but because of this "BIG personality they need a strong but gentle caring LEADER...they have a tendency to become unsure and insecurity breeds anxiety...a good strong leader provides a stable safe environment with structured training, knowledge and structure builds confident, a confident Chihuahua is a calm happy Chihuahua and a calm happy chihuaha is a PLEASURE to be around...

too many people get into the "i don't need to TRAIN him because hes so tiny" or the "listen to him growl, aint it cute"...NO...a dog that has attitude is a dog that's not been trained or socialized, its a dog that lacks confidence and its not fair to the dog...
this goes for everything form walking on a leash (yes chihuahas NEED walks too!) to basic obedience, to fun tricks, to a general SABLE healthy household...
they are no different than ANY other dog, unfortunately however people treat them differently allow bad behaviours which become ingrained (that they wouldn't accept form a larger dog) and you end up with a little basket case whos NO clue whats expected of it...

in terms of house breaking...they can be difficult, but NOT because THEY are difficult, again this comes down to LAZYNESS on the part of the human...
a gsd pees on your floor its a huge puddle...
a Chihuahua pees on your floor and its barely a few drops....because of this people let it happen and shake their heads and say "oh there so difficult to house break"
NO they are not...my grandparents would have up to 15 adult Chihuahuas and a good number of pups in their house at any one time (they also did rescue) and within 2 weeks in the house...housebroken...
puppies were started with a litterbox from the time momma stopps cleaning the nest, until first shots at 8 weeks, then they started going out into the puppy pen from 8 weeks until they whent home at 10-12 weeks, most of the pup were fully housebroken in that 2 weeks...
how? persistence...new rescues and puppies got taken outside to go potty EVERY HOUR at first...and slowly increased from there...no different than any other puppy, dogs that were not housebroken never got the freedom of wandering the house unsupervised plain and simple, that was a freedome for housebroken dogs, puppies and fosters had playpens or were tethered so they could be fully supervised until they got the hang of it...
little dogs are hardr to catch in the act because hey you notice a 50lb great dane squatting, but its harder to see a 1lb Chihuahua puppy squat...plus its easier for them to sneak behind a couch (and they pee quicker lol) so, simpley don't give them the opportunity to have an accident, take them out regularly from day one, and remember their bladder is tiny!
in terms of litterbox training yes it can be done, its easy but you have to be just as persistent as if you were training your dog to pee outside.
whem my parents got theirs they realized tiny 3lb dogs in 6ft of snow in North east winters were going to be a problem, so they puppy pad trained in a litterbox first, then started housebreaking to the outside too. they always had acess to the litterbox...but would be taken out regularly also...they've got 2 of the 3 chihuahas who will use the litterbox or go outside, #3 will ONLY go outside, she simply diesnt like the litterbox...but if yoru consistent, persistent and WACHFULL, a chihuahau is just as easy to housebreak as any other breed.
infact people don't give them neer enough credit or their intelligence. they are SMART little dogs...they look at you and ask WHY?! rather than simply doing it.

there are things to remember with wowies though, knee heart and eye problems run RIOT in the breed thanks to bad breeding...
they are TENACIOUS and need a firm, consistent but KIND hand
they have NO idea how small they are and MUST be watched because they will occasionally decide to show the neighbors great dane whos in charge...
(my aunt raised danes...and the wowies kept them in place!)
they ARE breakable...plain and simple.

they should be trained to walk CORRECTLY on a hanrness, Chihuahuas should never be walked on a collar due to their incredibly delicate trecheas

I swouldnt suggest having small rodent pets around Chihuahuas, every one ive ever met has been an acomplished mouser!

In terms of energy levels...
remember all puppies in their first couple of months spend their time SLEEPING a lot...Chihuahuas are tiny, their bodies can only store so much energy so they tend to be sleepier puppies than larger breeds (and must be fed little and often to keep their blood sugar up, Chihuahuas are HIGHLY prone to hypoglycemia and any under 3lbs are at SERIOUS risk, I used to kep honey sticks in my purse for our 3lb male and now my mum does, just in case!) like all pups once they hit the 5-6 month mark they tend to enter the "naughtyteenage stage, where they become energetic, crazy will test the boundries, ned a lot more excersize and more frequent training, (this is also an important stage to build confidence!)
howeve rthe GOOD news is Chihuahuas mature VERY quickly and while a lab is still a PUPPY until 2 years, Chihuahuas are generally already starting to mature and calm down by 8-9 months and get their brains back!

this is however, if properly bred and raised a LONG LIVED breed, if your not willing to dedicate the next 20+ years to a little dog who will think you are its universe, do NOT get a wowwie!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs