Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times

Advertisements

My family wants to get a small dog and are trying to figure out what breed. Yesterday, we met someone with a four month old Chihuahua and I fell in love. It was the sweetest, most loving little thing. I had always heard that this breed was very high strung, excitable and not too good with kids. Not this little puppy. She was mellow and so lovable. Someone said that was because she was still a puppy and that they all become hyper and extremely active as adults. Is this generally true? Are Chihuahuas generally good with children? I have two daughters, 9 and 7 yrs. old. They are both very mature for their age and not rowdy kids at all, so I think they would be careful and gentle with a small dog. So I don't think that would be an issue. Also, are Chihuahuas fairly easy to train? I have read about a type of Potty Pad that small dogs can be trained to use I guess similar to a cat using a litter box. Anyone successfully trained a Chihuahua to use these and would you recommend it? Also, do these dogs shed much (the short haired version) and what is their average life expectancy? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Chihuahuas aren't good for families with small children. They're simply too fragile, children don't realize they're hurting them and then the dog, worried about being hurt again, bites.

As a rule I would never recommend a toy dog, ANY toy/small dog, to a family with young children. The children usually don't mean to hurt the dog, but they're rough and it happens more frequently than you'd expect. The next thing you know the dog is being given away or euthanized, because, according to the family, it 'bites.' It was only defending itself.

These are not family dogs. They're one person dogs and your puppy is sweet because she's a puppy. They grow into the Chihuahua personality. I have a rescue Chihuahua and she only comes to me.

Also, Chihuahuas need to be VERY warm all year round. They also have major dental issues: you must get the teeth attended to regularly or they'll end up like my rescue girl: no teeth (I had to have them all pulled) and an oral-nasal fistula (abnormal opening). She has an opening between her nose and teeth and saliva comes out of her nose. This happened because her teeth were SO rotten that it ate through the bone that separates her mouth from her nasal cavity.

In summary, this is not a good idea.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Viral has given an excellent synopsis. Big dogs tend to be better with kids because they are less vulnerable and their owners are more inclined to properly discipline and train them.

Little dogs aren't necessarily predisposed to aggression or crotchetiness, their owners are just more likely to treat them like toys and not like dogs, leading to aggression and crotchetiness. I've seen well-behaved chihuahuas, but that's more of a statement about their owners than the dog.

As far as shedding is concerned, they do shed but it's negligible. There's only so much hair on a dog the size of your fist, you know?

They can definitely be trained to use the wee-wee pads relatively easily but I would not recommend it. Try to get the dog to learn to eliminate outside like you would any other dog. The wee-wee pads don't match well with the decor in any home and once they are accustomed to using them it is nearly impossible to get them to do anything else.

Chihuahuas can live a long time, particularly if they are ill-tempered, impossible dogs. If I had to venture a guess, I would say 14 is probably about par for dogs without major health issues but I have known a 24 year old chihuahua (who was a real b*tch).

Chihuahuas are sort of "emptynester" dogs. A pug would probably be a better match for a family, just my $0.02

Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
My family wants to get a small dog and are trying to figure out what breed. Yesterday, we met someone with a four month old Chihuahua and I fell in love. It was the sweetest, most loving little thing. I had always heard that this breed was very high strung, excitable and not too good with kids. Not this little puppy. She was mellow and so lovable. Someone said that was because she was still a puppy and that they all become hyper and extremely active as adults. Is this generally true? Are Chihuahuas generally good with children? I have two daughters, 9 and 7 yrs. old. They are both very mature for their age and not rowdy kids at all, so I think they would be careful and gentle with a small dog. So I don't think that would be an issue. Also, are Chihuahuas fairly easy to train? I have read about a type of Potty Pad that small dogs can be trained to use I guess similar to a cat using a litter box. Anyone successfully trained a Chihuahua to use these and would you recommend it? Also, do these dogs shed much (the short haired version) and what is their average life expectancy? Thanks.
Please do not buy a Chihuahua! Check in petfinder.com for a Chihuahua Rescue. I got mine this way 2 years ago. I got him at 8 weeks old and he is the sweetest. I would not recommend them with small children in the home only because they are so fragile and if dropped or stepped on severe damage can be done to them. My little guy goes all over with me. When he was just a little over 3 pounds and had his shots I had already started to socialize him. I would let cashiers in the stores hold him, people at the vet. Kids in the video store etc. He loves all the attention when I take him to Home Depot and Lowes. My little guy loves all people and especially kids and other dogs. I preferred a male due to the sweetness of the personality and I read the females can be somewhat nippy. My little guy is not hyper at all and did not bark until he was a year old. He is also not a yapper. Does he have accidents in the house? You bet. I do try to let him out every couple of hours. Mine will not walk on a leash, he never liked it for some reason. When I put one on him he stands in the same spot like a stiff and will not move. With any dog you will need a fenced yard. And spay and neuter is a must! Bye the way, my chihuahua never does that shake thing unless he is cold. I would suggest you get a larger dog at least 30lbs. It would be safer in the household with children. Also Chihuahuas prefer a quiet household, they do not like alot of action and noise. If I have alot of people over mine hides and sometimes it takes me a while to find him, I always think he got out.
Here are some pics of my little Bambi!
At 2 lbs.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/Picture248.jpg (broken link)
At 3 lbs.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/Picture259-1.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/Picture257.jpg (broken link)
All grown up!
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/IMG_1235-2.jpg (broken link)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/IMG_1260.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/IMG_3581.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/IMG_1948.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/IMG_1834.jpg (broken link)
This is a friends daughter visiting a while ago....Bambi loves her and plays with her as long as she is sitting on the floor. When she gets up and runs around he takes off and hides!
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/pitluver1/IMG_2453.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Blondie621; 10-27-2008 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Chihuahuas aren't good for families with small children. They're simply too fragile, children don't realize they're hurting them and then the dog, worried about being hurt again, bites.

As a rule I would never recommend a toy dog, ANY toy/small dog, to a family with young children. The children usually don't mean to hurt the dog, but they're rough and it happens more frequently than you'd expect. The next thing you know the dog is being given away or euthanized, because, according to the family, it 'bites.' It was only defending itself.

These are not family dogs. They're one person dogs and your puppy is sweet because she's a puppy. They grow into the Chihuahua personality. I have a rescue Chihuahua and she only comes to me.

Also, Chihuahuas need to be VERY warm all year round. They also have major dental issues: you must get the teeth attended to regularly or they'll end up like my rescue girl: no teeth (I had to have them all pulled) and an oral-nasal fistula (abnormal opening). She has an opening between her nose and teeth and saliva comes out of her nose. This happened because her teeth were SO rotten that it ate through the bone that separates her mouth from her nasal cavity.

In summary, this is not a good idea.
Not the answer I was hoping for; but good information. Thank you.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Viral has given an excellent synopsis. Big dogs tend to be better with kids because they are less vulnerable and their owners are more inclined to properly discipline and train them.

Little dogs aren't necessarily predisposed to aggression or crotchetiness, their owners are just more likely to treat them like toys and not like dogs, leading to aggression and crotchetiness. I've seen well-behaved chihuahuas, but that's more of a statement about their owners than the dog.

As far as shedding is concerned, they do shed but it's negligible. There's only so much hair on a dog the size of your fist, you know?

They can definitely be trained to use the wee-wee pads relatively easily but I would not recommend it. Try to get the dog to learn to eliminate outside like you would any other dog. The wee-wee pads don't match well with the decor in any home and once they are accustomed to using them it is nearly impossible to get them to do anything else.

Chihuahuas can live a long time, particularly if they are ill-tempered, impossible dogs. If I had to venture a guess, I would say 14 is probably about par for dogs without major health issues but I have known a 24 year old chihuahua (who was a real b*tch).

Chihuahuas are sort of "emptynester" dogs. A pug would probably be a better match for a family, just my $0.02
Thank you so much for all the great information. I will definitely consider all this as we continue our research.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Please do not buy a Chihuahua! Check in petfinder.com for a Chihuahua Rescue. I got mine this way 2 years ago. I got him at 8 weeks old and he is the sweetest. I would not recommend them with small children in the home only because they are so fragile and if dropped or stepped on severe damage can be done to them. My little guy goes all over with me. When he was just a little over 3 pounds and had his shots I had already started to socialize him. I would let cashiers in the stores hold him, people at the vet. Kids in the video store etc. He loves all the attention when I take him to Home Depot and Lowes. My little guy loves all people and especially kids and other dogs. I preferred a male due to the sweetness of the personality and I read the females can be somewhat nippy. My little guy is not hyper at all and did not bark until he was a year old. He is also not a yapper. Does he have accidents in the house? You bet. I do try to let him out every couple of hours. Mine will not walk on a leash, he never liked it for some reason. When I put one on him he stands in the same spot like a stiff and will not move. With any dog you will need a fenced yard. And spay and neuter is a must! Bye the way, my chihuahua never does that shake thing unless he is cold.
At 2 lbs.

At 3 lbs.

All grown up!

Okay, these are the cutest Chihuahua photos I have ever seen. Your Bambi look just like the puppy that I recently met that made me fall in love with and want a Chihuahua. Adorable! I love that fawn and white color. Thanks for the response.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
Love those little chi's! I owned one and he was the sweetest little thing. Of course he was a one dog person and quite the escape artist.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Please do not buy a Chihuahua! Check in petfinder.com for a Chihuahua Rescue. I got mine this way 2 years ago. I got him at 8 weeks old and he is the sweetest. I would not recommend them with small children in the home only because they are so fragile and if dropped or stepped on severe damage can be done to them. My little guy goes all over with me. When he was just a little over 3 pounds and had his shots I had already started to socialize him. I would let cashiers in the stores hold him, people at the vet. Kids in the video store etc. He loves all the attention when I take him to Home Depot and Lowes. My little guy loves all people and especially kids and other dogs. I preferred a male due to the sweetness of the personality and I read the females can be somewhat nippy. My little guy is not hyper at all and did not bark until he was a year old. He is also not a yapper. Does he have accidents in the house? You bet. I do try to let him out every couple of hours. Mine will not walk on a leash, he never liked it for some reason. When I put one on him he stands in the same spot like a stiff and will not move. With any dog you will need a fenced yard. And spay and neuter is a must! Bye the way, my chihuahua never does that shake thing unless he is cold. I would suggest you get a larger dog at least 30lbs. It would be safer in the household with children. Also Chihuahuas prefer a quiet household, they do not like alot of action and noise. If I have alot of people over mine hides and sometimes it takes me a while to find him, I always think he got out.
At 2 lbs.

At 3 lbs.

All grown up!

This is a friends daughter visiting a while ago....Bambi loves her and plays with her as long as she is sitting on the floor. When she gets up and runs around he takes off and hides!
Have you entered these photos in any contest??? They are winners. I will have to show them to my daughters when they come home from school!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Have you entered these photos in any contest??? They are winners. I will have to show them to my daughters when they come home from school!
I did enter that one photo in an online contest and they kept emailing me that he was a finalist. I think they were trying to fish me in for some pics of him put on a plaque if he won and they were $$$. So I backed out! Bambi is a special little Chi. He has the most adorable personaltiy. The minute he sees little kids he goes crazy...he even does the wiggle butt thing and makes cute squeaky noises! I will look for a video of him and post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs