Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 AM

70 posts, read 209,811 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should ask her ex-owner the whole thing about her in detail. And told her ex-owner if she did all these before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,881 times
we have same problem with our ***** will let you know if we get ours sorted. Yorkshire terrier. sounds like watching her and putting her out straight away and plenty of walks is the best start. seem to remember saying No bad girl picking the dog up showing her the mess then putting them outside worked on last dog. Nigel Derbyshire.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 54,071 times
Default Dog Won't Stop peeing in the house

We bought a French Bulldog when she was about 2 months old. She's now 6 months old. She WILL NOT STOP PEEING IN THE HOUSE. We are at home all day with her. We take her out FREQUENTLY.. averaging every two hours. She seems to understand what she is supposed to do when she's outside as she always pees and even has specific spots she likes; but she still pees inside, sometimes within minutes of coming back in the house, and she isn't shy about doing it in front of us. She doesn't have an infection, although the Vet said she has a lot of crystals in her urine. She sleeps with us at night without being taken outside so we know she can hold her pee for as long as 10 hours! We are at our wits end and about ready to give her up. What can be making this dog pee in the house, on a daily basis, and as often as three or four times a day!? We have no carpet in our house. All the floors are tile or laminated wood. We clean up with vinegar and water, but it hasn't stopped her. We are afraid to take her anywhere which curtails our social life. She'll pee anywhere and on anything. We've used treats and we always praise her when she goes outside. We've said "NO" when she goes inside, and take her out immediately. Hasn't stopped her. Help!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel.chadwick View Post
we have same problem with our ***** will let you know if we get ours sorted. Yorkshire terrier. sounds like watching her and putting her out straight away and plenty of walks is the best start. seem to remember saying No bad girl picking the dog up showing her the mess then putting them outside worked on last dog. Nigel Derbyshire.
We've had dogs before this one, and all of different breeds. We have another 4-year-old Frenchie and she trained VERY easily. We've never had this kind of trouble training another dog.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedToLikeDogs View Post
We bought a French Bulldog when she was about 2 months old. She's now 6 months old. She WILL NOT STOP PEEING IN THE HOUSE. We are at home all day with her. We take her out FREQUENTLY.. averaging every two hours. She seems to understand what she is supposed to do when she's outside as she always pees and even has specific spots she likes; but she still pees inside, sometimes within minutes of coming back in the house, and she isn't shy about doing it in front of us. She doesn't have an infection, although the Vet said she has a lot of crystals in her urine. She sleeps with us at night without being taken outside so we know she can hold her pee for as long as 10 hours! We are at our wits end and about ready to give her up. What can be making this dog pee in the house, on a daily basis, and as often as three or four times a day!? We have no carpet in our house. All the floors are tile or laminated wood. We clean up with vinegar and water, but it hasn't stopped her. We are afraid to take her anywhere which curtails our social life. She'll pee anywhere and on anything. We've used treats and we always praise her when she goes outside. We've said "NO" when she goes inside, and take her out immediately. Hasn't stopped her. Help!
OK I'm confused - no infection but does have crystals??? Everything you have written points to a medical issue. Either a bladder infection of a kidney infection. Have you ever had a bladder infection? I have and you feel like you have to pee all the time. Does she give you any indication of when she needs to go out? Do you have her on a schedule for walks and pottying? Both can help but first, you need to find out about these crystals. That is not normal and could be the root of all the problems you are having! You don't mention any issue with pooping. Am I correct that she signals when she needs to poop and does not poop in the house? If that is the case then its even more likely to be a medical rather than behavioral issue.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,064,335 times
Crystals in her urine is a problem and likely making her very uncomfortable. Did your vet advise any treatment for her, if not I would get a second opinion.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureluck View Post
Maybe you should ask her ex-owner the whole thing about her in detail. And told her ex-owner if she did all these before.
The man we bought her from works with Animal Rescue so I doubt he did anything to traumatize the dog. However, he kept her in a doggie pen in his garage and put dog pads down for her to use. We tried the dog pads when we first brought her home, but she immediately tried to eat them. In fact, she acts like she's hungry all the time and will eat anything, in any amount, that we put in front of her.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
OK I'm confused - no infection but does have crystals??? Everything you have written points to a medical issue. Either a bladder infection of a kidney infection. Have you ever had a bladder infection? I have and you feel like you have to pee all the time. Does she give you any indication of when she needs to go out? Do you have her on a schedule for walks and pottying? Both can help but first, you need to find out about these crystals. That is not normal and could be the root of all the problems you are having! You don't mention any issue with pooping. Am I correct that she signals when she needs to poop and does not poop in the house? If that is the case then its even more likely to be a medical rather than behavioral issue.
Apparently, lots of dogs have high crystal content in their urine. It's treated by giving them a special diet that alters the pH balance in their urine. That's why cranberry juice works so well when women get an infection. It alters the pH balance and makes that "urge to pee" feeling go away. So, the crystals have nothing to do with an infection. She did have a urinary tract infection at one time however, and it was treated with antibiotics and went away. We have no problems with her pooping in the house, and she's on a schedule for pottying. Sometimes she will bark at the door when she wants to go out, but more often she doesn't; actually we're not convinced that she barks BECAUSE she needs to go out, but rather because she wants a treat. The Vet did mention once that her problem with peeing could be anatomical. He said something about the labia around her urethra was large and could be interfering with the flow, but he pointed out that this is a common occurance with Frenchies. And yes, I've had urinary tract infections so I know how that feels. But usually with an infection, you feel like you have to pee all the time, but you can't. She's definitely peeing, and like I said.. she's been treated for a UTI and got a clean bill of health in that respect.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Crystals in her urine is a problem and likely making her very uncomfortable. Did your vet advise any treatment for her, if not I would get a second opinion.
The Vet put her on a special dog food that alters the pH balance of her urine. I googled this and found out that it's pretty common with dogs and it's always treated with a special dog food. Eventually I can start giving her cranberry tablets. Having a large number of crystals is not the same thing as having an infection.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
I know the OP is old but I'm adding this for future readers.

I know you tested for UTI and the results were fine. But it could be dabetes. Especially since you said she has large water intake.

Also, the dog was crated with the past owner. The OP didn't indicate if she was using the crate when the dog was unsupervised. That would be a wise course of action. You can't just take a dog that was over-crated and suddenly allow it free run of the house, regardless of how many times a day you take it out. The dog needs to be reacclimated to house training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs