Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,176,482 times

Advertisements

no offense intended.
Just never heard of it............I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It's not 'weird' terminology. It's a standard word in behavioral therapy circles and it's horrible. I can't imagine being put into a situation of which I'm fearful with the feared stimuli coming fast and furious, with NO escape.

Flooding And Cognitive Behavior Therapy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,675,377 times
What I get out of his show, is to remember dogs are dogs. They should be loved, attended to and cared for but they can quickly jump into neuroses when they aren't seen first through the lens of being a dog.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,706,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
What I get out of his show, is to remember dogs are dogs. They should be loved, attended to and cared for but they can quickly jump into neuroses when they aren't seen first through the lens of being a dog.

Yes!!!!! I think we tend to do that!!!! I know I do

Old 06-06-2009, 03:13 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,383,807 times
I haven't read any of his books and I've only seen him on TV a couple of times but I wasn't very impressed.

My favorite "trainer" is Suzanne Clothier - she has a wonderful book called Bones Would Rain From the Sky. The subtitle is Deepening or Relationship with Dogs.

She doesn't write about specific training of a desired behavior, ie. sit or down. Rather she deals with how we interact with our dogs and engage in "the dance", thereby achieving our goals without harsh techniques at all.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:40 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,480,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
We lavish affection on our dog when his behavior is satisfactory and we discipline him with avoidance(he HATES to be shunned) or a stern put down depending on the severity of the behavior.
Exactly Shunning is sweetness and honey, imo. Just semantics, I think. No raised voices needed either. A calm and in-control voice with a stern tone works magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Anybody that has medium to large size dogs knows just telling them that you are disappointed is not discipline. Likewise rewarding with treats for every good behavior only creates fat, hungry dogs that want more instead of looking to please you or to fit in.
Hey, are you calling my dog fat (just kidding)!!! Just telling a dog that you are disappointed is not discipline for any size of dog. That's more like a conversation than training ~

Why do you say that food based training creates a fat dog? I think misuse of that type of training will, that's for sure! Like you said, every proper act does not require a treat!

I do not know that Milan yells and screams behind the scenes. I saw a show where he does "roll" a dog. In my experience, that only works with naturally submissive and compliant animals.

But if Milan uses that "flooding" technique, he's a complete a**. As a technique it works neither with people nor animals.

I don't think that one way will work for every single dog. From every method or trainer you should "just take what you need and leave the rest!" (By way of The Band!)

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 06-06-2009 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: OMG! too long-winded!!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,186 times
Again, this accusation that he uses "negative" reinforcement is baseless. He does not strike the animals, he does not starve the animals, he does not shove them in a kennel everytime they are "bad". He works uniquely with each case and helps the dogs overcome their behavioral issues.

You're against "flooding"? How would teach a dog that is afraid of garbage cans that there is nothing to fear? You'd rather hide every garbage can in the world at keep your scared dog in a neurotic bubble?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:30 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,021,140 times
I had to look up the link to "flooding"...the term was new to me. After seeing the definition I see nothing wrong with that type of therapy in the correct hands. It seems to me that "flooding" also implies gradual and controlled exposure to a particular fear or phobia. Fear is a learned response in all animals. Repeated, secure, controlled encounters with the source of fear are the only way I ever heard of overcoming them. Worked for me with deep water.
I've watched many Cesar Milan shows. He seems to introduce the pets to their insecurities gradually and carefully. O f course the shows are edited for screen time so months = 4 minutes sir time. If that is the "flooding" in question, I see no problem with it.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,706,974 times
I guess we "flood" horses when we train them but we don't call it "flooding" we call it desenitisizng or just plain getting him used to stuff Before we show horses we like to get them used to all kinds of sounds, stimuli that they well hear and see and understand that this will not hurt them.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
SYstematic desensitization is a gradual exposure to the feared stimulus. Flooding is really an overwhelming exposure to the feared stimulus, all at once, with no escape until the stimulus is no longer feared. It can be quite a shock to people but if you have no time, mit's the only way to go.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
SYstematic desensitization is a gradual exposure to the feared stimulus. Flooding is really an overwhelming exposure to the feared stimulus, all at once, with no escape until the stimulus is no longer feared. It can be quite a shock to people but if you have no time, mit's the only way to go.

Well, if that is what is called "flooding" then its a pretty off-base accusation of what Cesar does. What HE DOES do is slowly a gradually familiarize the dog with the source of its fear. Whatever, though, a lot of people in the animal world feel threatened when a guy like Cesar walks in and achieves results that they have failed to accomplish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs