Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM

948 posts, read 3,358,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post

Currently, people living in my neighborhood have found my front lawn a convenient place to allow their dogs to poo and not pick it up. I have a young child and we (used to) frequently play on our very small front lawn. I wish I would catch the perpetrators because I would definitely say something to them about it.

When we bought our last house, our neighbor quickly informed us that the previous owners of the house we purchased used to love to play with her two dogs on their (our new) front lawn. I don't think I said much other than, "oh" and that it would cause my three large dogs to bark a lot, as they don't care for other dogs trespassing on 'their' property. Every once in a while her dogs would wander into our yard. One time she playing Frisbee with her dogs in our yard when I came home from shopping. It was so annoying - if she liked that yard so much better she should have purchased that house. Finally, I said something yet again and she stayed away. Needless to say, we weren't friends.
What if all the neighborhood kids just gathered on someone's lawn as "their spot" for football, volleyball, etc. It's inconsiderate regardless of whose doing it. Yes, some people treat their dogs like kids and they can do know wrong. I guess we just won't make friends with those folk, right?

This is NOT meant to be an anti-dog sentiment at all. Manners are appreciated regardless of which specie one belongs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana C View Post
My neighbor lets his dog out loose at night thinking I don't know it's his dog pooping on the other side of my fence and all over the two acreas which I mow...so I step in it when I don't see it, and have to clean it on the outside of my dog fence which makes my dogs nuts with sniffing and barking because a dog has been lifting his leg on the fence and pooping outside of it and on my sidewalk. It's a trademark that I know exactly who did it. I've told the neighbors about it (my friends) and it stops for a while but it just started up again...grrrr!!!!
My long time tenant is terrible with his new dog like that. Not only am I annoyed that no one (not him, not the rescue he got the dog from) asked me if I minded him having another dog, but he lets her run loose all of the time. I scold him about it, he's good for a few days, then he acts like she snuck of the apartment on him. I know that he's just too lazy to walk her around on a leash on a regular basis. If she's running loose at night, how can he know where she poops? I have enough of my own dogs' poop to pick up, I don't need more to clean up. His having a dog shouldn't cause me more work. And who likes picking up the stuff? And that's why my tenant has been asked to leave. I've given him until the end of the year to find a new place.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,591,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My long time tenant is terrible with his new dog like that. Not only am I annoyed that no one (not him, not the rescue he got the dog from) asked me if I minded him having another dog, but he lets her run loose all of the time. I scold him about it, he's good for a few days, then he acts like she snuck of the apartment on him. I know that he's just too lazy to walk her around on a leash on a regular basis. If she's running loose at night, how can he know where she poops? I have enough of my own dogs' poop to pick up, I don't need more to clean up. His having a dog shouldn't cause me more work. And who likes picking up the stuff? And that's why my tenant has been asked to leave. I've given him until the end of the year to find a new place.
Good for you! I had a TERRIBLE tenant last year who liked to leave her dog in our yard when she left for work early every morning...I'm an artist & work from home, usually starting in the late evening since there are less distractions (phone, doorbell, kids outside, etc...) so this poor dog would bark up a storm and wake me up after a mere few hours of sleep almost every day. She told me he would poop & pee in the house if she left him inside...clearly she never trained him properly to begin with! But the dog didn't want to be outside all day and would bark and bark, (annoying to my neighbors as well, who I am on good terms with & would like to keep it that way!) so I convinced her to keep him inside on the condition that I let him out every few hours to do his business. She never walked him, never ever cleaned up his poo, she was one of the laziest girls I have ever met...fortunately, the agreement when she moved in was that it would be a temporary (6 month) arrangement, so I didn't have to deal with her for very long. The clincher? She didn't even clean the apartment, there was dog & cat poo all over the place, which I had to clean..GROSS!! I was so happy to see her go it almost didn't matter...and as the glorious scent of clorox overtook the poo stench, my anger lifted and all was well once more...lol!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm not going to delve into your other complaint--perhaps there's another place to post that concern. The specific post I have here relates to the destruction that pet owners let happen with their dog's misbehavior.

What I was trying to point out to you is the issue is so much more then people being rude and inconsiderate with their dogs. People that are that way tend to be that way in the other aspects of their lives too so fixing it is a bigger problem then some here seem to think. Our society is becoming much ruder and inconsiderate. There are plenty of those people here where I live and dogs can be part of the problem when these people decide to own them. If you try to correct it by speaking to them you are met with a Go F--k yourself or its none of your business what I do or don't do" as they were raised that way. With most of these people you can be as sweet as pie when you talk to them and yes you will be considered the enemy by them . So choose wisley as having a neighbor as an enemy can make your life a nightmare as somefriends of mine have found out.

I wish there was an easy solution as just this morning the dogs and I ran into the idiot from up the hill who walks a pitmix off leash, carries no leash with him, carries no bags to pick up the poop and lets the dog run back and forth across the street and do as it pleases. My one dog will not tolerate dogs in her face and that is what this one does. I walk my dogs on one leash with a splitter and a couple years ago this same idiot and his dog came along and his dog ran towards us not at all aggressive but it caused my one dog to go crazy and pull towards it while poor Dash was thinking Oh crap and decided to go the other way . That pulled the leash infront of my legs and I ended up falling and riped my cheek and forehead open. There was alot of blood and I was stunned for a few moments and this guy just stood nearby and watched , did not ask if I was ok or even call his dog. It made me think what kind of human is this jerk? I really do not think you can change these people as they are missing common decency. I tried talking to this idiot one time and was met by the answers I have already said you will get by most.

Once in a great while you do run into someone with a dog that is just ignorant of the responsibilities that go with owning one and being nice and making suggestions can change them but from what I have learned it is rare.I know alot of people are even afraid to say anything so when I get a new neighbor I introduce myself and the dogs and tell them to please feel free to tell me if the dogs are misbehaving and barking or whatever when I am not home a I can not fix a problem without knowing about it. I am very sincere as I do not want my neighbors stewing in silence because my dogs or I did something they did not like.I live in condos so also warned them when I was having new floors put it that it would mean lots of noise rather early in the AM. I think being considerate of others is that important. But I have learned alot of folks don't.

I can tell your not a dog hater but rather someone that would like what we all would and that is common curtesy and respect from your fellow man. And to be able to have a beautiful yard you can enjoy.Sadly I think the folks with dogs that you speak of are beyond common curtesy and only take care of #1.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,498,536 times
I feel your pain!!! I never had a problem with dogs and/or their owners until recently. A neighbor man walks his dog every day and lets him poop in my rock landscaped yard every single day! The guy carries a plastic bag to use to pick up after his dog but it is only for show. He NEVER uses it. After his dog poops, he just kicks the rocks to cover up the mess. His behavior is just plain rude. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs that I clean up after every day, I don't want to clean up after his... HE should.
I am seriously considering following him home one day with a "gift" from ALL our animals.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,372,595 times
I live on 10 acres yet around here we have some relative new neighbors who think turning their standard poodles loose on the area is OK...keep in mind these dogs are 70lbs+ each They have also been seen running livestock. So here I am walk my 20lbs JRT on MY property and on a flexi leash and here they come, they were agressive, so over the last several months I've made 5 phone calls to our next to worthless dog catchers...the last one was followed by an email to them and the county comissioner last week...haven't seen the poodles since...but we'll see.

Now the REALLY anoying part is the owner is a Vetranairan who works in another county...grrrrrrr.

I love some of the suggestions about the toxic chemical flags, the sprinklers and ones I might use if they were walking their dogs in a neighborhood environment, however they just turn 'em loose.

My next solution is a .38 and some rat shot in their butts I know that might sound cruel however, these people have over 40 acres and a fenced in back yard for their dogs...and their just to lazy to walk and exercise them.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:05 PM

948 posts, read 3,358,658 times
Default Well, crud

Your situation seems worse than mine. The weather's pretty cold and windy here, but I'm going to try the amonia and water in milk jugs. Could you try that on your perimeter?

I had a house once that some wild turkey's liked. They actually liked my garden's. Thought it was wonderful until I came home one day and they dug up all my bulbs and mulch I had just spent hours spreading. I called the coutny and they suggested noise--radio or horn. I got a LOUD hand held horn and sure enough I think I gave them a heart attack. One of the group actually flew up into my tree. That was a sight.

Anyways, since it's just you and the wild dogs, if I were you, I might try a LOUD blasting horn. Negative reinforcement. Anytime you see them, blast them. I don't know if I'd try this one, but I read about a guy who sprayed a neighbor's cat with stinky perfume (after repeated night's of the cat ripping his garbage open.)

Best of luck to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I live on 10 acres yet around here we have some relative new neighbors who think turning their standard poodles loose on the area is OK...keep in mind these dogs are 70lbs+ each They have also been seen running livestock. So here I am walk my 20lbs JRT on MY property and on a flexi leash and here they come, they were agressive, so over the last several months I've made 5 phone calls to our next to worthless dog catchers...the last one was followed by an email to them and the county comissioner last week...haven't seen the poodles since...but we'll see.

Now the REALLY anoying part is the owner is a Vetranairan who works in another county...grrrrrrr.

I love some of the suggestions about the toxic chemical flags, the sprinklers and ones I might use if they were walking their dogs in a neighborhood environment, however they just turn 'em loose.

My next solution is a .38 and some rat shot in their butts I know that might sound cruel however, these people have over 40 acres and a fenced in back yard for their dogs...and their just to lazy to walk and exercise them.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
The amonia and water in milk jugs made me think of the very inventive way a co worker of mine got rid of not irresponsible dog owners but gang kids that were doing graffiti on the backs of the garages in her condo complex and on the underpasses of the bike trails near her house. She is a volunteer to paint over the graffiti. She showed up at work one day and asked all of us to call her if we noticed any dead skunks, Hummmm? Turns out she went and picked up dead roadkill skunks and put the bodies behind the garages and near the underpass. Both places being areas that no people except the gang kids hang out at. The smell of the skunks ended up keeping gang kids away and that took care of the graffiti. All of us at work laughed but now admit it seems to have worked as that was months ago and the smell is long gone but so far so are the gang kids.

So you never know what might work!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,625 times
Default Eeew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I feel your pain!!! I never had a problem with dogs and/or their owners until recently. A neighbor man walks his dog every day and lets him poop in my rock landscaped yard every single day! The guy carries a plastic bag to use to pick up after his dog but it is only for show. He NEVER uses it. After his dog poops, he just kicks the rocks to cover up the mess. His behavior is just plain rude. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs that I clean up after every day, I don't want to clean up after his... HE should.
I am seriously considering following him home one day with a "gift" from ALL our animals.
That is so gross! What is he thinking just covering it up with part of your landscape?! And if you're going to carry a bag for show, why not just pick it up?

Like today...my dog did his business, so I waited a minute then picked it up. Not that difficult! Then I got really annoyed b/c as I was walking home there was poop STILL sitting on our Main St. sidewalk from 2 days ago! What the heck?! Tonight I saw that it had been stepped on and what's worse...it's right in front of a local business!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,007 times
I live in a resort town that isn't very populated in the winter. The other day I was walking my dog and I saw a guy across the street walking a Lab-sized dog near a condo building. The dog got in poop position, then the guy shuffled around on the sidewalk a few seconds, then took off walking. No poop clean-up! He saw me standing there watching him, but I had to actually go over to the grass to see whether the dog had actually pooped. Big surprise (not) -- an enormous pile of fresh poop on the grass! I started racing after the guy but he was far up the block. I tried to catch up and he walked faster, then turned a corner. By the time I turned the corner, he had disappeared! Soooo, he either ran around another corner, or ducked into a building. Infuriating -- and disgusting, not to mention, illegal!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs