Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times

Advertisements

My experience is, whatever the dog's name is, you inevitably shorten it to two syllables anyway, usually with a hard sound "Kiko" "Kona".
"Powell" became "Pally," "Eloise" became "Weezers." I always keep the dog's name if he knows it when I adopt.
I currently have Artie, Dodger, Eloise/Weezers, and Nayla. All had their names when I got them. Artie was renamed by his rescue because they wanted him to associate nothing with his hard past.
You could look at dogoftheday.com archives for years of names. Lots of "Dodgers" and "Konas."
For some reason, "Maggie" is a very popular name for dogs. I have a lot of negative associations with it- think it sounds nasty. Also, there are a lot of "Maxies" for boys and girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,249,798 times
Frick and Frack -- rescued cats from the same litter. Frack is our sole remaining master at this time.
Katie -- Yorkie
Sadie -- Yorkie (Full name was Mercedes of the Freeway)
Pepper -- Miniature schnauzer
Lady -- Doberman
Rosin -- Amber colored cocker
Shep -- Mixed breed from litter of...
Bullet -- Mixed breed
Big Cap -- Mixed breed

Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM

399 posts, read 2,254,605 times
Working at a vet for years we saw the same names over and over. And some clients after the death of their pet would get a new one and name it the same thing. We loved the more unusual names. One of my favorites was a huge, black lab named Skillet. One that we couldn't understand came from a crazy art student at a local private college, she named her cat If. lol. My schnauzer that I adopted came complete with black dreadlocks and her name is Rasta, short for Rastafarian.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,241 times
I've got some pretty creative names for my furbabies.

Our two Newfies are:

(kennel name) Paw Prints on the rising Sea, we call him Poseidon.

(kennel name) Maximus' Pallas of Wisdom, and we call her Athena.

Our rescue Lab is Braveheart Thunder of Thor, we call him Thor.

Our other lab is (kennel name) Kodiak of the Archipelago, we call him Kodiak.

Our two Chihuahuas are:

(kennel name)(dd's name) Diamond is Forever, we call her Chloe Gem.

(kennel name) Mama's Precious Birthstone, we call her Sophie Pearl.

Our 3 Cairn Terriers are:

Kiara Joy

Abigail Lee

Hannah Skye

I love naming my pets and put alot of thought into it.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
One of my mom's pugs has a bit of a weight problem (she eats everything....including drywall, the sides of the doors, carpet, furniture etc.) and although her name is Maddie, everyone just calls her Fattie Mae.

We have a shelter dog that we named Shiva, which is very appropriate, since it's the hindu god of destruction... she fits the name well.

I've always found it interesting when people give their animals common 'human' names. I had a friend whose dogs were named Mark and Leslie.
I felt bad when my dog ate the carpet, sometimes, I call her Maddie Mad!
However, crate she is it, when I go out! She was OK till her dog friend died.
I never, ever would think a sweet Pug would eat all that! When she is sweet
Bri is her name! Then!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 PM

54 posts, read 304,096 times
My dog's name is Anabelle.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInND View Post
....to a point, I think it is important to keep it to one syliable, it is easier to say with authority.
But a dogs name should be two syllables to make it easier for them to differentiate from the single syllable commands we train them to obey. Stuff like 'no' 'sit' 'stay' 'heel' 'come' 'leave'

Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,429 times
Lucky = terrier mix (sadly, near the end of her life now - sleeps 22 hours/day). age "from the tooth" 13 adopted from a kill shelter in Atlanta. Named by my daughter's color guard squad back in the day as she was 3 or 4 days from euthanasia.

Fifi = a female pit mix (fostered, yet adopted... reason we that we now sponsor and don't foster) - age "from the tooth" maybe a year old. Abandoned and adopted in St. Croix, USVI. Already named when we got her (looks like an anti-Fifi).

Mr. Tip aka Tip-Tip - a male mix of some crazy sort, not sure but looks like a tiny german shephard and probably a year old. Abandoned and adopted in St. Croix, USVI. His abandonment occurred, and the reason for his name - he was thrown from a vehicle in the Tipperary area of the island, back leg broken and came to us when the original rescuer could no longer afford the required surgery (ouch for him and us). He was already named when we got him.

Although we continue to sponsor, we can no longer foster as they seem to become family members.

Hats off to those that foster! You guys are great!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,297,163 times
I have always heard that it is easier for a dog (or cat) to learn it's name if it is two or three syllables long and ends with a vowel.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 AM

626 posts, read 1,349,429 times
When we adopted our American Bulldog from the shelter his name was "Gotti", he was already 1 and knew his name but I couldnt see calling my dog that so I told my son it had to end with an i and sound similar and out came Daji.... has worked great, its unique and it fits him so ta-da
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs