Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:25 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,622 times

Advertisements

Exactly Dualie, for some dogs it is necessary. If the dog is fracturing its tail wouldn't it be more humane to dock it? I can't think of a humane reason to dock ears however there may be some valid reason for that also. I try not to jump to conclusions because I may jump to the wrong one. I knew a pit who was very dangerous - but at the opposite end - it was her tail. If she got within striking range you'd be bruised by it, it was like a whip. I'm sure she had bruises as well from striking it on things and it wouldn't have surprised me if she had stress fractures, but we'd never know since she wouldn't be able to let us know it was painful unless we touched it. Something to consider when making the decision for surgery, we should weigh all benefits and risks for any procedure seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:20 AM

6 posts, read 23,356 times
Ya the ear docking thing...I dont really understand it...my same dog who had happy tailalso had her ears docked as a puppy n I think it causes more problems..I think the docking was not done properly or that they were not taken care of (possibly not cleaning the surgical site..ie. infection)..we did not get her until she was about a year old so this was done before we got her. It seems like her ears get dirty and bother her alot more then my other dogs. But then again my other pit lost her pretty lil ears when she was attacked by another dog and she does not have those problem with ear infection or ears bothering her..but as for tail docking if I could afford a 700 vet bill to fix my dogs tail I would have but we did take care of it at home and of course I took proper percautions antibiotics sterile sugical wraps latex gloves and kept her in a clean setting..I also had some tramadol that I would give her so she wasnt in so much pain..I didnt cut her tail off the tip died on its own and dried up I didnt want to mess with it jus kept it clean it evetually fell off and has since healed up very nice..if u dont feel confident in what you are doing take your dog to vet if possible but my backround is in medicine and I was very confident in taking care of my animal at home

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 AM

412 posts, read 684,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nroybal6 View Post
You can dock the tail at home if u have the right equipment. .I know at some of the vet supply stores they have rubberbands that are made for castrating cattle I believe they also have some for docking the dogs tail..
That is irresponsible and erroneous advice. And depending on where you live potentially an invitation for a felony charge of animal cruelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
A DOGS TAIL IS AN EXTENSION OF THE SPINE AND ALSO USED FOR BALANCE.

If not done as a puppy,it shouldn't be done.
And it should ONLY be done by a veterinarian.

There are breeds that have tail amputation (not docking on an adult) like Great Danes. It is something that is done under anesthesia and by a veterinarian.
OP - if your dog needs this done then money should not be the highest priority but you are certainly welcome to ask for a detailed estimate. Anesthesia is not priced by weight per as but by how much of the anesthetic (gas) is used - time wise.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:54 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Docking a tail is cruel. A Veterinarian told me it was like cutting off the dog's smile.
Then I can't imagine how you feel about neutering. That's a male dogs spirit!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nroybal6 View Post

You can dock the tail at home if u have the right equipment. .I know at some of the vet supply stores they have rubberbands that are made for castrating cattle I believe they also have some for docking the dogs tail..
its also considered practicing veterinary medicine without a lisence and is ILLEGAL...(even home removal of dewclaws is becoming more and more frowned upon and most GOOD breeders have both done at 2 days old by a licsenced vet (I don't know a single docked breed breeder who docks their dogs at home....even my vet frined who breeds cockers takes his pups into the office for docking)

we did a few tail amputations (what its called when its doen any time after 2 weeks) due to issues like happy tail or bad breaks ect...if its nessicary to prevent pain I have no problem with a late dock/amputation, just remember the older the dog when tail is doen the harder the recovery time, at 2 days old things are not "plugged in" yet...nurons arnt firing the same ect...at 2 years old however pain receptors healing time ect are all increased.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM

You use a banding tool for the tails. It's easy and our breeder does it. Dewclaws are a little trickier, but not hard with the right tool.

But then again our breeder and her husband also grew up on a ranch where you branded cattle and banded your cows. They know animal husbandry. I banded cattle and cared for them growing up as well. As we did horses. And we cared for our dogs.

It's not illegal (here). Thank-goodness.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 AM

412 posts, read 684,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Then I can't imagine how you feel about neutering. That's a male dogs spirit!
Neutering has medical and behavioral benefits. Tail amputation done for sound medical reasons are one thing. Docking a tail for cosmetic reasons are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You use a banding tool for the tails. It's easy and our breeder does it. Dewclaws are a little trickier, but not hard with the right tool.

But then again our breeder and her husband also grew up on a ranch where you branded cattle and banded your cows. They know animal husbandry. I banded cattle and cared for them growing up as well. As we did horses. And we cared for our dogs.

It's not illegal (here). Thank-goodness.
I would love for you to try it on yourself. Pick any appendage. Let us know how it feels.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 AM

There are also signifigant disadvantages to nuetering, especially my GSP. Done to soon and they typically won't fully develop, which hampers them in the field (which is what they were breed to do).

And a long whip tail in the field is also a problem on some field breeds. Docked tails didn't start out as cosmetic enhancements- it was purpose driven.

What I find disturbing is that a lot of people are quick to judge based on their interpretation of animal 'feelings' and not based on the reasoned approach. They are also quick to chastise people for being able to perform animal husbandry of their own accord.

If you don't wish to learn how to care for animals, don't criticize those that do. I don't criticize others for choosing to use a vet for all their needs.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:55 PM

Again as I said I did not dock the tail at home maybe you shpuld go back and reread the statement. ...as I said if you do not have the proper training dont do anything...as I said I was trained I this field and I had all the right equipment to do so...and ubless you want to pay my vet bill then your statment is erroneous. ..happy tail is one of the only legitimate reason to ever dock a dogs tail..and it actually isnt a felony here...as I said they sell them at vet supply stores..I grew up in an environment where it was customary to dock certain breeds I never agreed with this..and the people that did this were trained in doing so..they didnt jus watch a video on the internet...and go chop the dogs tail off..they also dock sheeps tails because it is easier to sheer them and there tails get cut if not docked...so is that wrong as well?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 PM

We grew up on a farm and were licensed breeders of certain dogs that it was customary to dock...we all knew what we were doing I have the same stuff the vets do I know what im doing..I would never want to dock my adult dogs tail..if happy tail happens again we may have to ...which saddens me it gives her such personality but as I said DogMomDeb I know what im doing it is not illegal here and I am licensed. ..y am I going to go pay to have them do this to her when I have the proper tools medication to do it properly at home..also this isnt considered animal cruelty....it was a necessary her tail died on its own..was very painful...if u do t know what im talking about go back and read my posts on pg1 or 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs