Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM

68 posts, read 259,345 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got a Gorgeous Havanese puppy. He basically was the runt of the litter, but we got him because we loved his personality.

Does anyone have experience with runts? I have heard that runts may have health problems in the future and may be slow learners. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
In some cases they grow up to be bigger than the others!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Usually the only difference between a runt and the other pups in a litter is size. Runts often catch up growth-wise with their littermates. However, there are sometimes inherent health or genetic reasons for the pup's size, and that can mean the pup will be more prone to health problems as it grows. If your pup has been thoroughly checked by a vet and found healthy, and if his sire and dam were of good health and quality then there is no reason to expect your pup will not be as hardy as his littermates will be. The genetic history and soundness of the parents is more indicative of the ultimate health of the pup than anything else.

What you can do to keep him healthy now and in the future: Feed him the highest quality food you can afford, see a vet regularly, ensure he has all of his necessary puppy vaccinations, use flea/tick/heartworm preventives in consultation with your vet, don't overvaccinate, brush his teeth and get regular dental checks (small dogs are prone to serious dental issues) and get him microchipped.

Congratulations and good luck with your new puppy!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM

68 posts, read 259,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Usually the only difference between a runt and the other pups in a litter is size. Runts often catch up growth-wise with their littermates. However, there are sometimes inherent health or genetic reasons for the pup's size, and that can mean the pup will be more prone to health problems as it grows. If your pup has been thoroughly checked by a vet and found healthy, and if his sire and dam were of good health and quality then there is no reason to expect your pup will not be as hardy as his littermates will be. The genetic history and soundness of the parents is more indicative of the ultimate health of the pup than anything else.

What you can do to keep him healthy now and in the future: Feed him the highest quality food you can afford, see a vet regularly, ensure he has all of his necessary puppy vaccinations, use flea/tick/heartworm preventives in consultation with your vet, don't overvaccinate, brush his teeth and get regular dental checks (small dogs are prone to serious dental issues) and get him microchipped.

Congratulations and good luck with your new puppy!
Thanks so much for the advice!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I hate the word "runt" simply because people mis-use or mis-interpet the meaning. Like stated above...it usually means the smallest of the litter. Someone has to be the smallest! ( and largest). They normally grow and catch up to their littermates and have no more or less health problems than the rest of the litter. Good luck with your new furkid!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
I have a question relating to this topic. I have always thought of runt being the smallest puppy in the pack.

When we got our dog as a puppy he was the smallest of all his brothers and sisters. However, the owners said that the runt of the littler died after being born. So does that make our dog the new runt, or is the runt the one that died and our puppy just happened to be smaller than the other pups?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,015 times
Well, we got two labs from the same litter. Bailey, our yellow lab, was the biggest and Jack, our black lab, was the runt. Bailey is 105 lbs, Jack a lean 80lbs. Jack is without question the smarter of the two! He understands a large vocabulary - including directions (left, right, in, back) when fetching tennis balls.

They are 5.5 years old now and we've never had any health issues *knocking on wood*

Good luck with your puppy!!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Well, we got two labs from the same litter. Bailey, our yellow lab, was the biggest and Jack, our black lab, was the runt. Bailey is 105 lbs, Jack a lean 80lbs. Jack is without question the smarter of the two! He understands a large vocabulary - including directions (left, right, in, back) when fetching tennis balls.

They are 5.5 years old now and we've never had any health issues *knocking on wood*

Good luck with your puppy!!
Jack understands directions???? I can't find my way out of a paper bag, and your dog can find the grocery store? I'm lucky when Artie responds to his name!

Sheesh!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,019 times
My understanding of the runt is that they may have been the least agressive in the pack, whhich meant most of the milk/food is gone by the time they get their chance (after the bigger/stronger pups have had their fill) hence why many die and/or are much smaller than the rest.

However once you get them away from the puppy pack and start working with them independent of the mates, 9 times out of 10 you can still have a winner. I have seen some runts grow to be much bigger, stronger and smarter than the "alpha" pup.

Sometimes the alpha pup is drivey only amongst their mates (big fish in small pond theory), but usually they are not compatible for most (very strong willed and only the experienced and secure pack leaders need apply), so the runt may fit your personality.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I will speak for myself and I think the runt makes the better dog of the liter and so did my grandfather . they have to be the toughest to survive if you think about it so they fight tooth and nail for what they have and they most certainly make the most loyal dog . The runts need a secure pack leader as well . My grandfather taught me alot about dogs and he was raised around dogs . yes I have a runt dog a runt chihuahua if there is such a thing with a toy breed . LOL !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs