Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,628 times

Advertisements

Well, thank you for thinking of adopting a dog in the first place. We have too many homeless dogs. And lab/lab mixes seem to be some of the highest population of adoption dogs.

I've had three lab mixes. All were high energy, all were adorable and at the same time aggravating. They are smart, lovable, and full of energy until they are 4-5 years old (at least mine were). Even then they have all of the energy you need when you want it.

They are sweet dogs, "usually" love other dogs (keep him/her socialized), and while they train well, they also have minds of their own and you have to be patient and find humor in some of their antics if you can.

We've adopted from 9 week old puppies to 1 year old dogs. All of them took a high level of our energy to one degree or another, but all of them also turned out to be the best dogs ever. My current lab-mix is a lab, german short-hair, standard pointer mix with a touch of Tibetian terrier (had her DNA tested). She's now 2 1/2 years old and is just now beginning to settle into her own routines which also include letting me sleep until 6:45 (I'm shooting for 7:30). She's sweet, loveable, and a bundle of energy and mischief. She still likes toilet paper rolls, paper towels, and anything else she can get in her mouth and "go for it"....on the other side, she likes to cuddle up on my lab and sleep in the evening. Gotta love 'em.

good luck and you'll love he/she. Just remember patience, consistency, and humor works wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Well actually my first dog if you don't count as a child. Growing up we usually had a dog around the house but it was typically a toy something (poodle or small terrier or the like) or other and I didn't have to take care of it.

Now that I've finally gone from apartment living to a house of my own I can finally get a dog. Doing my research I've decided on a lab. Both because of their temperament and train-ability and because there is a nice lab rescue group locally that is all about matching the right rescue to the right family.

Anyway, I've read up on training, establishing yourself as the alpha, proper introduction to the house and other pets, etc but that is all just theory and words until you actually sit down and do it yourself the first time. So I've come here to ask for any tips, advice, links whatever you might have handy. Oh and I think I've got a list of the basics down but what do you suggest I have on day one or what are some must have things for you and your pooch?

Thanks,

Tom
I strongly suggest that you spend a lot of time WITH a lab before deciding on the breed. I'm sorry, but aside from carrying things back in their mouth they are just about the dumbest dog I have ever experienced. Now granted there are some that are smarter than others (just like peopl) and maybe, just maybe I came into contact with only the really, really stupid ones, but my opinion is that there are a lot better breeds of dog out there. YMMV

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I strongly suggest that you spend a lot of time WITH a lab before deciding on the breed. I'm sorry, but aside from carrying things back in their mouth they are just about the dumbest dog I have ever experienced. Now granted there are some that are smarter than others (just like peopl) and maybe, just maybe I came into contact with only the really, really stupid ones, but my opinion is that there are a lot better breeds of dog out there. YMMV

20yrsinBranson
I'm trying to keep my hackles down.

It's hard to find an animal with a nobler spirit than a labrador. Generally speaking, what gets written off as "stupidity" is actually "poor management".

That said, as is the case with any popular breed, labs have been overbred and there is a definite risk of getting some "cull" in your pet.

I would agree that you are going to be in for a surprise if you aren't familiar with labs, but if you are willing to work with the dog you would be hard pressed to find a more suitable partner and family pet. Labs are on the high-maintenance side and require lots of work, but the more work you put in the more the dog will give back.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm trying to keep my hackles down.

It's hard to find an animal with a nobler spirit than a labrador. Generally speaking, what gets written off as "stupidity" is actually "poor management".

That said, as is the case with any popular breed, labs have been overbred and there is a definite risk of getting some "cull" in your pet.

I would agree that you are going to be in for a surprise if you aren't familiar with labs, but if you are willing to work with the dog you would be hard pressed to find a more suitable partner and family pet. Labs are on the high-maintenance side and require lots of work, but the more work you put in the more the dog will give back.
I'm sure that everything you say is 100 percent true and accurate. Thinking back to the dog's owners I can say that they probably were guilty of poor management. LOL

Still, I am reminded of a Cairn Terrier I knew once, who actually figured out how to open a window so that he could get outside. He would sit there and LISTEN to you when you spoke to him - seemingly able to understand every word that you said. I was so unbelievably impressed with the intelligence of that dog that I guess I am using him as a basis of comparison to all other dogs I have met since.

But again, dogs are like people and they all have their own individual merits and foibles.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Just be prepared for a less profound mellowing over the 2-4 range than you would see in other breeds. Labs don't seem to really settle into being good citizens until about 4 or 5 and I'll bet there is a reason this guy wound up in rescue (the reason is probably an owner who wasn't dedicated to meeting the dog's exercise/stimulation requirements, but be prepared for said requirements to be quite high). Labs are working dogs and as such need to have a job. Make sure you give him/her one. Labs are well suited to any job that involves chasing, some will have strong, overriding retrieving instincts but you are just as likely to encounter "keep-away" instincts. It doesn't mean you have a lemon, it just means you have an untrained lab. There is an old book by Richard Wolters called "Family Dog" that is excellent, if old-school, reading for a first-time lab owner. His "Waterdog" book will give you some good ideas for training the dog to retrieve (which is essential to achieve a well-exercised lab and an owner who is not over-exercised). You don't need to get too complicated, just get it into the dog's head that you want him to actually bring the tennis ball back.
A well stated post all around...but I fully agree with these books, all of Richard Wolter's books even, and the DVD's. They are nearly 'must-haves' for tutorials.
The thing that I love about Labs (I have three:
) is that though all three are of the same breed and are as different as night and day, personality wise; they have that unfailing sense of loyalty and the undying need to please. No matter their age, they are eager to learn (the chocolate above is 9 years young).
Congratulations on your new addition and may he/she bring as much joy and contentment to your life as mine own has to mine. And yes, thank you as well for rescuing. My chocolate is a rescue

Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times
Having a really really smart labrador, just a word of warning.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, when it comes to ANYTHING edible they are opportunists ready to guzzle it down.

My dog's cousin ate a pack of butter together with the wrapper!

Ours is much better now- well she is ten years old, but if anything vaguely edible is in the bin (trash) she may well go for it.

The times we've come home and she doesn't run to greet us because she's managed to grab something- usually something like a pack of biscuits that my daughter has left out- and the dog has taken it to her basket.

She then knows she's done wrong and doesn't have the sense to hide the wrappings which are left at the side of her basket! So she stays there with a complete look of guilt on her face!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times
Awww!

Love the picture HighlandLady!!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Awww!

Love the picture HighlandLady!!!!!
Thank you That little image shot yesterday was an accident...if I had tried to do that on purpose, I'd never have succeeded. Love these nunkies!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM

The more I read the dog forum, the more I come to understand why I am such a cat lover. LOL.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
That is a great picture. I haven't figured out why, but it seems as though all lab puppies want to sit "side-saddle" like that. Cracks me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs