Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,121,129 times

Advertisements

Well actually my first dog if you don't count as a child. Growing up we usually had a dog around the house but it was typically a toy something (poodle or small terrier or the like) or other and I didn't have to take care of it.

Now that I've finally gone from apartment living to a house of my own I can finally get a dog. Doing my research I've decided on a lab. Both because of their temperament and train-ability and because there is a nice lab rescue group locally that is all about matching the right rescue to the right family.

Anyway, I've read up on training, establishing yourself as the alpha, proper introduction to the house and other pets, etc but that is all just theory and words until you actually sit down and do it yourself the first time. So I've come here to ask for any tips, advice, links whatever you might have handy. Oh and I think I've got a list of the basics down but what do you suggest I have on day one or what are some must have things for you and your pooch?

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,813,236 times
Long walks, games of fetch until your arm falls off and a nice place to swim make for a very content lab. Young labs can be a handful. Exercise is key. Great for you for rescuing though.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Yeah I live in a semi-rural area so figure a quick (relatively) walk in the morning before I settle down to work and a longer (couple miles) one in the evening should be a good start. The other bonus of that is A) I get my lazy butt outside and get some exercise and B) I get to explore my new neighborhood.

Backyard is decent size so until I train the new arrival well enough to respond when excited that will be the only place we play fetch. After that though I see dog parks and the beach in our futures.

EDIT: And yeah on the age thing. I wanted young enough to train and have a nice life together but old enough not to be a never ending ball of energy or to have to deal with house breaking and the like. Luckily the ones that look like potential companions are around the 2-4 age range which I think will work well.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,715,456 times
Did you read or see Marley and me? Your work will be cut out for you! If you work it will be way harder.
I love dalmations, but, they, need to go more than me now! Labs are great, but really do be sure? A terrier, is a smaller dog, with the lion
mind! the Scottie, Aussie, and Westie also are real neat as the Boston! They also are high engery! The Golden is also real neat!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,694 times
First, congrats and a huge THANKS for adopting a rescue!

Re your quest for knowledge: Why not spend time with the Lab Rescue folks & find a mentor there? They know their breed, you will learn more from them than from any book or website, and you will be able to get hands-on experience & guidance. Besides, all rescue groups I know of are absolutely slammed with dogs ... they all can use and will definitely appreciate any hands-on help they can get! As an added bonus, developing a solid relationship with the rescue group now can be of great help to you in the future, especially as this will be your first doggie-dad experience.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,128,452 times
You'll need all the advice given in the previous posts AND a good vacuum cleaner - Labs shed like crazy! Using a Furminator on a weekly basis will help tons. Good luck and thanks for going the rescue route.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,253,786 times
Labs thrive on structure.
I use the pyramid method.
day 1 Name and come
day 2 name , come, sit
Day 3 name ,come, sit, down
Before you know it the dog will be a wonder.
Consistent discipline along with a whole lot of praise. Labs love to please.
I myself don't believe in bribing with treats. Praise and a pat on the head has worked with every dog That I have ever owned.
As others have said Labs have a lot of energy. Don't leave it to the dog to figure out how to burn that energy. You won't like his solutions.
Good luck with the lucky fellow.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,503,377 times
I think this is a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
First, congrats and a huge THANKS for adopting a rescue!

Re your quest for knowledge: Why not spend time with the Lab Rescue folks & find a mentor there? They know their breed, you will learn more from them than from any book or website, and you will be able to get hands-on experience & guidance. Besides, all rescue groups I know of are absolutely slammed with dogs ... they all can use and will definitely appreciate any hands-on help they can get! As an added bonus, developing a solid relationship with the rescue group now can be of great help to you in the future, especially as this will be your first doggie-dad experience.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM

All great advice, thanks! I was actually thinking of working with the rescue group if I could find the time.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,281,623 times
Good job on rescuing. That's wonderful.
Hyper...hyper...hyper... most labs can be... if not trained & socialized. They love everyone, but socialization is still very important. I kne a gal who had several labs. She had one that was actually mean to anyone or anything. That is very rare.
Play time is important. Make sure you walk your dog a good distance, to TRY to wear him out a little, if possible.
Retrieving is very important...they live to retrieve.
They love water, too. If you don't have a pond/lake, then buy a kiddy pool.
Have fun & yes, you have your work cut out for you & yes they are shedders. Get a good brush/comb such as a ferminator. It gets that undercoat.
Balls...balls...balls...they love to play with tennis balls.
Kongs, too. Put a dog biscuit or peanut butter inside the kong, that will keep your new buddy happy.

HAVE FUN ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs