Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:06 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,037,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
I think it totally depends on the person. So many different people own cats and dogs that it's impossible to make a generalization about them.

I own a cat and two dogs, myself.

I will say that I've noticed a difference in the dog park between small dog people and large dog people! It seems that a good portion of the small dog people are prissy and high-maintenance and know less about dog behavior than most of the big dog people. Maybe their little dogs are more like status symbols than pets to them.

(Please note that this is a huge generalization based on encounters at one specific dog park; I definitely don't mean to say that ALL small dog owners act like this. Just that many of the ones I've met at this particular park do.)

I agree w/ the statement you made on large-dog breed people, we've always had large dogs (Labrador Retrievers, Greyhounds) & my aunt has always had small pooches (shih tzus, pugs)...there is a definite difference in personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,216,372 times
Default "Disposable"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Of all the pet owners I have known in the last 50 years, cats are disposable.
When it came to medical care, cat owners usually went with euthanasia other than surgery.
I have known dog owners to loose their houses to pay for their dogs care.
The cat owners I known had a cap of a hundred for vet care.
You haven't known the right cat owners. I have spent $1500+ trying to keep a 14-year-old cat alive, and I would have spent more if it would have done any good. My cats are family. I will do anything in my power to keep them alive. Some people think cats are "disposable", but they are ignorant. The cats deserve better.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,986,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Well, I have both cats and dogs, as does my daughter and many others I know. So how do you think we rate? I think it's a silly comparision.
You post made me laugh I'd say "you are a horse of a different color "--Wizard of Oz

Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,986,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Agreed! Wonder what that makes us?
LOL, I just mentioned to Southern that makes you guys "A horse of a different color" Wizard of Oz quote

Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,216,372 times
TabulaRasa: Being the catman, my cats are unbelievably spoiled and want a lot of attention. I must say that being cats, they want it when they want it, but when they want it they really want it! "Aloof", they're not, at least much of the time.

I think what you get from either a cat or a dog is what you put into the relationship. Either can be needy or aloof. They build their lives around the way they are treated.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 PM

389 posts, read 3,540,828 times
Cat or dog...doesn't matter to me, but I don't trust anyone who doesn't have pets of some sort May seem like discrimination, but I have been burned one too many times by people and they all happen to not have pets

I just find pet people more likable and honest.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,675,270 times
Anyone who has compassion and shows no prejudice for any animal is always a nicer person. Does not matter, cat or dog. There are some people who hate dogs and some who hate cats, and own one or the other. Those people are a different breed in my eyes!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM

192 posts, read 256,826 times
i think dog people are more conventional.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,391,037 times
Interesting post.
I do notice a difference between cat people and dog people (I define them as which people prefer - not necessarily what they have as pets). However, I can't think of a specific adjective to describe it. I know plenty of nice people, cat or dog. It's one of those subtle things, but I do tend to 'click' better with dog people, specifically big dogs. I don't relate well to little dogs and their people (unless it's something like a corgi, which are big dogs in a short body).

Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,691,181 times
Do not agree on OP's statement...

As even as craigslist will prove...

How many owners of cats & or dogs tried to get *free* or inexpensive pets for torture purposes...
So, how nice are these owners???

Then what about those people who reared pitbulls (dog owners too) for bloodsport & gambling...
They "nice" people too????

As like my FIL would say...
You would find "yahoo" anywhere, whoever they may be.

Thus one should never "judge" "who is" nice as that predetermination puts one in that "narrow" minded state.

Although psychologically I can sympathize for that feeling of "OP" (may he/she is nice so...) trying to "connect" with others who also own dogs like him/her to be nice as well.
(As like "mirror mirror on the wall, what did thou reflect?" KWIM?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs