Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 AM

30,363 posts, read 23,832,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Are you a dog lover? What do you think? I generally think so, the people that I've met who love dogs are very friendly, not all... but the cat-lovers I've met have proven themselves to be more standoffish & not as open than to people who have dogs as pets...
I'm a dog lover.

I'm a cat lover.

I'm a friendly stand offish person?

Or maybe stereotypes are silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,427,729 times
I have both animals

I have met both sides that were equally WTF......

Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,786,625 times
I don't think so. I find a lot of dog lovers hate cats which confuses me, almost like they think liking dogs means you can't possible like cats too. Most cat lovers like dogs at least somewhat.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,933,779 times
I don't encounter cat owners taking their pets to our local farmers' markets - yet dog owners are notorious for doing this, leading to loud barking, territorial disputes (I had to walk between two such dogs today, one on either side of the walkway, while neither owner seemed to notice their dogs barking at and threatening one another), tangled leashes (especially the retractable kind which owners fail to retract properly in such crowded settings, resulting in dogs dashing out in front of other customers), even dogs threatening young children or almost tripping elderly people, while their owners are oblivious.

The vendors are not happy about the situation, but feel powerless to voice their objections, as many of the offending dog owners seem to either view their dogs as cute accessories or appear to think the farmers' markets are great places for their dogs to get socialized. Not so. Vendors are no longer able to display their wares in baskets or boxes placed on the ground, for obvious reasons - all have to go atop tables now.

I like dogs well enough - it's the clueless owners I dislike.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:13 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,574,676 times
I think so. Whether I had a cat or dog wouldn't change my persona.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 AM

603 posts, read 575,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Are you a dog lover? What do you think? I generally think so, the people that I've met who love dogs are very friendly, not all... but the cat-lovers I've met have proven themselves to be more standoffish & not as open than to people who have dogs as pets...
Dogs are social pack animals that need a lot of interaction and care.

Cats are ... not.

Each type of pet attracts the sort of owner compatible with their nature.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,740,860 times
No. There are too many people crossing those ridiculous labels to conclude either way.

My own experience is that people who call themselves “dog people” are not as accepting of non-dog-owners as people overall. But that is tainted heavily by the fact that people who have other kinds of pets or none at all do not make a point of saying anything about pet status, whereas many dog owners are weirdly proud of it. Still, that only applies to a minority of dog owners. Not something I would consider valid for “screening.”

Old 03-26-2020, 04:36 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,614,184 times
I am definitely a dog lover and a "dog person"; and I like and admire cats. I don't think I'll ever have a cat; but I consider them to be nice pets for the right people; and I abhor cruelty to cats as much as cruelty to dogs.

I'm not the world's most sociable person, either...

Old 03-26-2020, 05:21 PM

32,701 posts, read 48,261,883 times
There are nice people who own dogs and there are jerks who own dogs. There are nice people who own cats and there are jerks who own cats.

There are nice people who owns both dogs and cats and there are jerks who own both dogs and cats.

People's personalities don't have a thing to do with what pet they own.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:04 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,266,142 times
I'm a dog owner and a dog lover and could care less about cats. However, I am NOT generally friendly with people. When I meet someone with a dog, I ask if I can pet the dog and if yes, I pet the dog and ignore the owner.
However, my previous line of work made me extremely leery of any human so I am not like most dog lovers.

My favorite saying is, "The more people I meet, the more I prefer my Malamutes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs