Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,460,427 times

Advertisements

Feed her in the crate, put toys in the crate, always throw a treat in the crate before she goes in. Put the crate in the bedroom at night so she can be with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,062,221 times
[quote=Blondie621;8886058]At night move the crate next to your bed and do not cover it. Keep the crate wherever you are!
I also agree with 1phwalls, that is toooo long for a young pup like that to be crated. Is there anyone who can let her out for some stretching at the halfway mark?
You also need a nice strong, good sized crate for her to stretch out in. Not too small.[/quote]

Our foster group gave us the cages we have and the one they gave us is great dne size so dont worry she has plenty of room. But we moving the cage upstairs to our bedroom tonight so hopefully that will work!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
How long have you had the pup? When I got Dazzle last month he would scream any time he could not see me.At night I had the crate next to my bed, Night one he screamed on and off all night . He continued to cry some for a few nights then once he felt comfortable in my home he settled down and is quiet. He was 8 months when I got him and he was crate trained but was just very anxious being in a strange home. Now I do not have to be in his sight at all and he is happy and quiet as this is home!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM

452 posts, read 1,724,038 times
One little pup we had for a bit HATED being in the playpen we used....she refused to settle down no matter what I did. THEN, I used a baby gate and put her into one end of a hallway we have in our home. Closed off the door to the bedroom and living room and she had her own space...and VOILA!!..she was a happy camper. She slept thru the nights after that and we re-homed her after a few weeks. I LOVE baby gates!!! She was a climber so we had to use the taller gate.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,062,221 times
We have now had her for five days including today. And she is 4 months old. But I am happy to announce that we moved the cage upstairs last night and she whined for maybe 10-15 minutes but then quieted down and we all slept throught the night! Yay! I dont know why I didnt think of that.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
[quote=grmngrl8203;8889927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
At night move the crate next to your bed and do not cover it. Keep the crate wherever you are!
I also agree with 1phwalls, that is toooo long for a young pup like that to be crated. Is there anyone who can let her out for some stretching at the halfway mark?
You also need a nice strong, good sized crate for her to stretch out in. Not too small.[/quote]

Our foster group gave us the cages we have and the one they gave us is great dne size so dont worry she has plenty of room. But we moving the cage upstairs to our bedroom tonight so hopefully that will work!
That is alot of work to move the crate up and down all the time. But some dogs do not like to sleep alone without their masters close by. I think being near you at night will hopefully solve the problem.
Mine are attached to my hip 24/7. I think it is a rescue thing. They are so afraid of being left. Three of mine own my queen size bed and they save me a small space every night! How lucky am I!
Good luck, hope your situation improves!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:32 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,527 times
When I first brought my rescue home, I had the crate in my room at night, and then I carried it downstairs for the day when I was at work. Believe me it got old real quick! I ended up getting a second crate. And then I decided to stop crating her at night anyway. Hopefully you will not need to crate her very long at night. As she settles into your routine, she may sleep through the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs