Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,600 times

Advertisements

I am needing puppy advice. I have had a couple of dogs of my own, and I am fostering german shepherds but none of them as a puppy. The newest one, Grace, is only 4 months old. She is pretty well behaved except grabbing things, she tore up the toilet paper, and steal forks off of my plate when I'm not looking but we are dealing with that. The BIG problem is she isn't crate trained. We got her Saturday and let her sleep out to see how potty trained she was, because she did good all day. We woke up there was pee and poop in several spots. So Sunday night and last night we decided to crate train her. It is horrible, she whines and barks all night. I would think she would give up but she doesn't and we know we can't let her out cuz then she knows she wins. What can we do to make it easier on her and on us? We had a blanket in the cage with her but she tore that to shreads the first night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Would try crating her for short stages during the day - dont make a fuss over her going in it or coming out - also leave the tv or radio on - make sure to take her collar or harness off too as it can get caught (or even the tags) - would also walk her or take her outside and give her a bit of exercise or playtime to tire her out. Prob. the most important thing w/b to feed her in it, that way she'll come to like it. Would also give her special toys and treats when she goes in it. Also try getting some big kongs and freezing them w/ lowfat peanutbutter or lowfat yogurt - you can mix it w/ kibble if you want (just rem. to feed her less kibble at nite) - that should keep her busy too (but might be a little messy for you to clean up). It's a process, it does take time.

Also, some like the wire crates more than the plastic ones which are dark and stuffy. Putting the crate nearby also might help so she doesnt think she's off on a deserted island, as a foster she's prob. been thru a lot in her short life.

Best of luck -

Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM

We do have a wire cage for her. I don't like the big plastic ones either. She is alone all day during the day from about 6:30 am to 4pm but as soon as we get home we let her out and go play in the backyard, my sons takes her on walks through the front yard, etc. I will try feeding her in it though! Right now she eats in the kitchen with the other dog. I forgot all about the kongs. I will have to search for them again. Some of our last fosters used them and I forgot all about it. But they love the peanut butter. Also is it worse for her that Zeke the other dog gets to roam since he is potty trained. Should I put him in a crate next to her?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Do you feed her in her crate? That's something you should be doing if you're not already doing that.

Take a look at the crate training tips from the US Humane Society:Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

Crate training is a PROCESS! And it needs to be introduced gradually.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 PM

I am not feeding her in the crate but I will definately try that tonight. Do I do it with the door open or closed?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Would close the door to feed her but when she's done, would take her out right away. Also, IMO crating from 6:30AM to 4PM is waaay too long, she really needs someone to take her out around midday, it's better for her overall physical health (you can't expect her to 'hold it' all those hours) as well as her mental health, she needs to stretch those legs, run around and play. Maybe you can gate her in the kitchen or get a tall ex-pen (exercise pen) to give her more room, it's just too long for her to be confined in such a small place.

PS I don't think you need to crate Jake, he's probably pretty much just sleeps or wanders around and it might upset him, I think it's a question of her just getting used to it and maybe tweaking the time she's in there a bit (IOW, less time), JMO.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,487 times
A 4 month old puppy should not be expected to be in a crate for 9.5 hours. Unless you have someone letting her out midday for at least 30 minutes. Puppies at that age can not hold it for that long, and if she starts going in the crate because she can go no where else, you will never potty train her. She will learn it is OK to go in the crate - ie where she sleeps. And that is exactly the opposite of what crate training is supposed to do.

I have a 1 and half year old boxer. I have to leave her in a crate when I'm at work all day too (9 hours). Hopefully you can find a dog walker cheap in your area.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM

She has not pottied in her crate, thankfully! But we can't afford to pay a dogwalker. Since she is a foster we are paying for her feeding costs, toys, etc already on top of our dogs. We do have an outside cage with a lot more room so we can put her out there then but that doesn't help us at night.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
At night move the crate next to your bed and do not cover it. Keep the crate wherever you are!
I also agree with 1phwalls, that is toooo long for a young pup like that to be crated. Is there anyone who can let her out for some stretching at the halfway mark?
You also need a nice strong, good sized crate for her to stretch out in. Not too small.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
You might want to lay on the floor with her and put a finger or 2 on the crate door. Silly I know but I had one JRT that cried like she was being killed at night in her crate. So I slept on the floor with her and she quieted down substantially as long as I had a few fingers in the crate door. We also had the crate in our bedroom
Stick with it. and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs