Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:25 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

I've got my brain going in so many different directions. Bad enough that at work my HR Director is out so I'm doing both her job and mine and I'm house / pet sitting for the next 2 weeks for her. So, work is busy.

However, I've been swamped with rescue stuff lately and no end in sight. I need help if anyone is interested.

I've got 2 puppies that are 5 pounds each in LA (the state, not the city, LOL) that need to get to the Ft Lauderdale area in Florida as soon as they can. They've found homes and need to get to their new mom and dad.

I've got a litter of 2 day old beagle puppies that need to be bottle fed in middle TN. They go to rescue in IN in a couple weeks, so it's just a temporary thing.

I'm going tomorrow to the shelter I work with in KY to pull some dogs. They had over 100 in the shelter on Tuesday and were going to have to start to euth on Thursday. I spent the entire day Tuesday working on moving them to rescue, and it was a success. All the begging and pleading and hours on the phone and internet paid off. Until I came in Wednesday to find that she'd had a bunch of dogs dumped on the shelter door in the middle of the night. Very rural area, and it's not uncommon for her to find 20 to 40 dogs in the morning.

I spend Wednesday trying to get them moved and when she got down to a tolerable number I offered to take some. Now, I've got 26 dogs at home right now, some fosters and some my personal dogs. I'm full, but I'm trying so hard to help. So I figured I'd pull a few and at least keep her from having to euth........ at least for now.

Then today I find out that a rescue that offered to take 13 dogs backed out when they got there with them. The shelter was told that if they left them, the rescue would just euth them today. So the poor girl from the shelter brought back the ones they refused - 7 of them - in tears. I told them I'd take what they couldn't find other rescues for. We're hoping a local beagle rescue up there can take them because I just can't get adoptions on beagles here. But last resort, here they will be.

I've got another rescue pulling a male GSD from there and I'm going to board him. I can't find a vet that can neuter him though before his transport leaves on the 11th. I think I can handle that end. If I have to I'll leave him to be neutered at the shelter's clinic and I"ll go back up next Friday for the night and get him Saturday morning and shoot back west to meet up with the transport.

Right now, my biggest need is getting the two puppies to Florida and hopefully finding foster homes to help with the ones I'm bringing back. If needed I'll fence the front of the property and keep them in the front room of the house with the front door open. Not the best situation, but I guess it'll do. Certainly better than them getting euth'd.

I now I can't save them all, but when you get daily e-mails with photos of those faces, knowing they'll be dead by 6PM and they have no reason what they've done to make people want to kill them.................. it just gets to you after a while.

So, anyone in the SE headed to FL anytime soon by any chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Since they are just 2 small puppies is there any chance of getting them added to an existing transport that's headed toward FL? That's what I managed to do this past weekend with a blue tick hound to get him up to NY from VA.

I'm not a member of any of the Yahoo groups for that area but some of the groups you can read the messages without joining, just can't post. Let me see what I can find and I'll get back to you asap.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Nancy Walker has one running from Decatur, AL down to Dothan, AL to Ft. Lauderdale, FL for just one brittany on Sunday, July 5. I've driven for her a few times. Where in LA are they coming from and where in FL?

Someone on Petfinders is looking for trans from Baton Rouge to Panama City for one cocker but didn't post an actual trans.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
mrs1885, please consider you are taking on way too much responsibility. You will burn out. I foster one shelter dog at a time and always have my resident rescue dog and family members show them the rules. We didn't breed the unwanted dogs, mrs1885.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-02-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 07:54 PM

I know I can't save them all, but I'll save what I can. This all just kind of fell apart in the last few days and nailed me at once.

Looks like it's getting pulled back together though. Zugor, thank you so much!! You've got my number - just let me know what's up. I can get you in touch with the sending rescue too if that helps!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
mrs1885,
As we say in the south, "Bless your heart." Thanks for what you're able to do. The doggies know.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 PM

Thanks!

It gets overwhelming quite a bit. And then things fall into place and we're back on track. It's all worth it to know you've saved an extra 2 or 3......... or 26. LOL!! How can you look at those sweet faces that are so loving and devoted to you and say no?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
May I also add that the lord knows what you are doing for his creatures.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Well I'd thought it might be possible for this weekend but I was way too optimistic. LA to FL is far longer distance than I thought. I've mapped out 8 legs from Belle Rose to Tallahassee. Then Tall to Ft. L would be another 6 or 7. It's just under 1,000 miles and so a two day trip with an overnight is what we need. So lets try for next weekend 7/11 & 12

Email the info on sending and receiving rescues, dog breed, age, sex, health stuff and I get working on the details and get it posted.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
I am in Florida, but please let me know if there is anything I can do (PM me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs