Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM

557 posts, read 2,613,031 times

Advertisements

If you've followed my posts here, you know about Hobbs, our lab/pitbull adopted from the shelter a couple months ago. Shortly after adoption he bit my husband in the face, causing a nasty wound so we monitored him closely and worked to show, in positive ways, we are the alphas. Hobbs was settling in, overcame separation anxiety, learned some basic obedience (including housebreaking),and learned to leave the adult cat alone. I read books, consulted a behaviorist, and spent a lot of time with this dog, and learned to love him. He was even doing okay with the new kitten. Now this week Hobbs has bitten my husband again and made one more attempt. My husband loves animals and has trained hunting dogs--he is a gentle man. I'm faced with the decision to euthanize Hobbs because clearly he cannot be trusted--would he bite a child???? Will he attack my kitten? I'm feeling intense anger at whomever owned him before because they seriously damaged this poor dog. I need some support in my decision here--I'm an emotional mess. Please, if you don't understand and agree, just don't post? Thanks.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,793,694 times
Oh no I'm so sorry... I read your original post about this and was hoping it was over. I'd be incredibly worried about him possibly biting a child or the kitten as well (and of course, you and your husband). Is this triggered by anything? Or is it just absolutely unpredictable? I'm so sorry you even have to make that choice, but I support you 100%. I'd be a wreck as well...

Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 PM

557 posts, read 2,613,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Oh no I'm so sorry... I read your original post about this and was hoping it was over. I'd be incredibly worried about him possibly biting a child or the kitten as well (and of course, you and your husband). Is this triggered by anything? Or is it just absolutely unpredictable? I'm so sorry you even have to make that choice, but I support you 100%. I'd be a wreck as well...
The bites were a reaction to 3 very different situations.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,580,105 times
I understand your frustration. I don’t think it is fair to ask you to keep him.
Is it possible for you to find a no kill shelter so someone else (hopefully, a good dog trainer or behaviorist) can take a look at him to see whether he should be euthanized.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,810,783 times
I'm sorry you are having to go through with this, Sun. Have you received any input from pit bull or lab rescue organizations?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:39 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,154,601 times
Sun - at the end of the day, you are the only one with the first-hand knowledge needed to make this judgment call.

It's a tough and a very lonely place, I know - and you have my sympathy.

But you also need to put it into context. You need to ask yourself the "what if" questions. Plus you really - but really - need to look at this from a purely practical perspective devoid of emotion. It isn't a nice picture by any means, no - but the reality of trying to place a known biter in today's litigation-happy climate makes for simply overwhelming odds. While miracles do happen (or so I'm told), this doesn't sound like the kind of situation where you can just wait for the visitation to show up at your front door.

Bear in mind one thing: there are fates far worse than a peaceful passing.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
You poor thing. I remember your previous thread and expressed my concern at that time about Hobbs' ability to function in your household. I'm so very sorry that it's not working out and I truly understand what you're going through.

I've been through similar experiences and know how hard it is to make that decision but FiveHorses is right in saying, "... there are fates far worse than a peaceful passing." Take care.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,120,171 times
Wow that is terrible. Sadly if a dog can't be trusted he can't be kept. Specially if other small animals or children are involved. Giving him to a shelter in hopes of re-adoption will be a tough one too, assuming you tell the truth about why you are giving him up. A dog that bites, specially with the kind of work you guys have put into it, rarely finds a good home.

I would do the same though. He would have to be given up if after all the work he is still biting. Aggressive is bad enough but actually drawing blood... he'd have to go. There is too much at risk to risk it. After all you can always open your heart and home to another animal in need in the future. Eventually you will find a perfect fit and everyone will benefit.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
I'll repeat, ask the shelter you got him from to call Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. They are in southern Utah, near Kanab. They won't take dogs from individuals but will from a shelter. If they can help the Vick pitties, they can help Hobbs! Or else, he'll have a forever home there.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:47 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,459,818 times
It is a very tough decision indeed. Not being able to put trust into your family pet must be nerve wracking. The potential danger to you and your family, both 2 legged and 4 legged, must be thought of. If you think you have satisfied every possible solution, than so be it. You tried and have nothing to be ashamed of. Virtual hugs to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs