Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM

557 posts, read 2,611,062 times

Advertisements

My adult pittie is having trouble grasping the concept of the "down" command. I tell him to sit and move a treat from his nose straight down to the floor. He either stretches his neck to get it or ignores the treat. Have tried to "capture" the down position by praising him for "down" as he does it on his own. I don't want to push down on him because we think he has an old injury to his spine or rear end. Pulling downward on his collar doesn't seem to work either. Ideas please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Try moving the treat back TOWARD him and down at the same time...

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Try moving the treat back TOWARD him and down at the same time...
When I do this, his butt goes up.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
Our dog went through a spell of not doing her "down" command as directed and she KNEW the "down" command well. We thought she was being stubborn b/c the "down" is submissive and hard for strong headed dogs to submit to. Long story short, we figured out it was difficult and probably painful for her due to undiagnosed her acl tear. She has since had it repaired and is doing her "downs" just fine.

It's at least a possibility it could be the old injury holding your dog back.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
What Viralmd said. I had one pup that I placed with her back against a couch and did that same thing, moved the treat back toward her and down. There was no where for her to go except down. A bit of peanut butter on the cookie helped a lot!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Agreed^ Also...if he is ignoring the treat...better treats!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
How about sitting on the floor with the dog in a sit on the side, bend your knee and hold the treat in front of you on the floor. He is suppose to go down under your leg to get the treat.

I saw that on 'Its me or the dog'.. worked for Victoria

Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Just my personal preference, but make sure that you reward him for "SIT" independently of "DOWN", otherwise you get a dog who goes through his or her entire bag of tricks everytime you tell him "SIT". For example, the "SIT" command comes to mean "perform the sequence of sit, down, rollover and shake".

If holding the treat at the floor and commanding "DOWN" isn't intuitively resulting in the dog assuming the down position, you can try gently picking up his front paws to encourage him to drop to his elbows.

Good luck. Don't get frustrated. Repetition has a funny way of working about 10 minutes after you feel like you should have given up.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
How about sitting on the floor with the dog in a sit on the side, bend your knee and hold the treat in front of you on the floor. He is suppose to go down under your leg to get the treat.

I saw that on 'Its me or the dog'.. worked for Victoria

One of my books suggests this. My dog either gets up and walks around or just refuses to go under the leg. Will try better treats next time--ie., wiener bits -- or his favorite! Kitty poo!!...not. If the treat fails, will have to pick up his paws to lower him into the down position-- tough because he's big!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs