Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,279 times

Advertisements

I hear you on the attitude thing.

She tells me his name is Charlie!

I felt awful this morning. I could not get him into the crate. I ended up closing him in my daughters room with his food and some newspapers on the floor. I think the crate is too small for him. He was crying and clawing at the door. Do they usually stop doing that, or will he cry all day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:18 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Crate training is a process....If he can stand up and turn around, the crate is large enough. There are a number of threads running about crate training at the moment.

Here is one to get you started: Crating a dog

Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,279 times
He can't stand up in it (the poor poochie). I'll have to go out and get another one. I read that there are pet stores that let you bring your dog.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
He can't stand up in it (the poor poochie). I'll have to go out and get another one. I read that there are pet stores that let you bring your dog.
Take a minute and check FreeCycle and CraigsList to see if anyone has one they are looking to get rid of. You might get lucky, like this little dog, and save a few bucks. (Which you can/will likely then spend on toys and treats)

Every poster here can tell you just how much joy and love a dog will bring in to your life but don't take our word for it, find out for your self. You'll be glad you did.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
If he's not used to being crated, you might want to get a baby gate and keep him in the kitchen when you're gone - would get a little dog bed or even a fluffy baby blanket folded up (you can even use a rectangular box in a pinch or cut an opening out for him in a rectangular wash basket). Since he's a small dog, you could prob. even gate him in the bathroom but I'd use a baby gate, I wouldnt just close the door b/c it might make him claustrophobic (would close the toilet seat). Just another option.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
You caught my drift! No attitudes with dogs! Dylan has yet to ever roll his eyes at me!
just get the occasional bored sigh from bailey when she knows it is time to go to the park and i am not moving in the right direction fast enough to suit her.....

Quote:
petsmart and petco ...... i personally prefer petsmart.... they seem to have better prices than petco ..... at least around here.......

Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Be glad it was a dog and not a teen age, or worse adult, male human. They make really difficult pets.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
I spoke with the owner. She bought the dog a year ago and had allergies to it. She wanted to get rid of it and even had it on craigs list. Her son brought it to my daughter with a little leash and a crate.
oh, i see. i thought she just found him.

in that case, you just have to decide if you really want the responsibility of a dog. even with a 15 year old, you can expect that it will mostly fall on you. keep in mind that you won't be able to take him everywhere (although you can take him more places than a bigger dog), and that you will have to find someone to watch him whenever you'll be gone overnight.

i love my dog, and i wouldn't give her up for the world, but she has changed my life. if i work late, my husband or i i has to go home at lunch to take her for a walk. if i go away, i have to find someone to take her or a plan a trip where we only go to places where she can go with us. i have to walk her whether it's raining, snowing, i don't feel well, whatever. if she gets sick or injured, which can happen at any time, i need to be prepared to pay vet bills, which can be gigantic.

with a smaller dog, you can train them to go on pads so the walking isn't quite as important (although personally, i would house train - the idea of cleaning up pads all the time icks me out), but they still need the exercise and mental stimulation of going out and smelling new smells. also, all dogs, including small dogs, need consistency and training so they know how to behave in general.

i don't mean to discourage you; i hope you do keep the dog. but dog ownership is a big step and you need to be prepared to take care of him properly.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
How could you ever pass up a face like this....well, this one was mad because he wanted to go to Taco Bell.

Make sure to post us some photos of your new darling.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
I agree with the baby gate, as long as he doesn't climb it. I've got a few that are climbers. The baby gate won't make him feel like he's trapped in a box.

It may be seperation anxiety. In that case you'll need to work with him. I've got a foster poodle with seperation anxiety. It's a pain, but it's fixable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs