Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times

Advertisements

Can the dog do without the surgery? My sister's dog became suddenly paralyzed from the 'waist' down. It had no use of its back legs whatsoever and would drag itself around. People told her to put it to sleep, but she refused saying that she wouldn't put a person to sleep for being disabled. That dog dragged itself around for two years. They would physically asssit the dog with urination and bowel movements outside. ONE DAY, HER DOG JUST STARTED WALKING AGAIN AS IF IT HAD NEVER BEEN PARALYZED. That tells me that there is no reason to put a dog to sleep unless you can tell it's in serious pain or the pain can't be managed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 02:56 PM

315 posts, read 776,939 times
The dog does not appear to be in any great pain. He just walks on three legs and goes about his normal day. So perhaps not having the surgery is an option. I don't think his wife would go for that option either though.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
how much does it cost to amputate the leg?

Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 PM

46 posts, read 171,436 times
If money is the number 1 concern, they should talk to the vet and see about a payment plan option. They could both decide how much a month they could afford and make separate payments after the divorce. I know the vet I used to work for was always more than willing to work with his clients and their money issues. If that vet refuses, find a vet that cares more about animal welfare than money.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
The dog does not appear to be in any great pain. He just walks on three legs and goes about his normal day. So perhaps not having the surgery is an option. I don't think his wife would go for that option either though.
I would have your friend talk to the vet again or get a second opinion. Two sets of veterinary eyes will often see the same problem very differently. If this is a TPLO they are looking at there are probably non-surgical treatment options that will be considerably less spendy.

Unless the leg is completely toast dog knees can eventually scar over and stabilize. If you can manage pain and inflammation that may be an alternative to euthenasia..

Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
I dont care if I had to take a loan out on my house , car whatever that dog would get the surgery !! that is a member of your family age or not . I think this guy is thinking with his wallet and not his heart , if I was the wife I would go behind his back and do the surgery anyway . Man he is heartless .

Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 PM

603 posts, read 1,948,332 times
For me personally right now id have to opt to put him to sleep,unless of course there was an option other than a two thousand dollar surgery.You have to think of quality of life as well.Its not a young dog and spending that amount of money if you dont have it isnt smart.We all love our pets and want to do whats best for them but sometimes you have to weigh the pros and cons.They really should make veterinary care a little more affordable.I just spent $400 on bloodwork rabies vaccine and a cytology of a growth on my dog.Talk about expensive.I wish your friend luck in whatever she decides.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 PM

220 posts, read 991,795 times
Most larger animal controls/humane society's have vets on duty, who offer lower cost care.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 53,526 times
The little guy is not necessarily old. My cocker lived to be 18, and up to the age of 16 was still active and happy. So 10 is not that old in smaller dogs, unless you think people should die when they are 60 as well. I'm with the wife, if they can make the dog comfortable enough to be happy, with or without surgery, (providing it is not in a lot of pain for which antiflammatories and pain pills help a lot) and the dog gives the wife pleasure and love, then give the dog a chance. Ideally surgery, which I am getting for my dog soon whose 8. But not everyone is fortunate enough to afford surgery in dogs, but just like what we do for our senior citizens when they can no longer care for themselves, make him comfortable in his Golden Years.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,339,908 times
First, it's solely their decision to make together. My advice would be that you not "take sides" here.

I look at it this way: the dog has given many years of loyal companionship to the family. It's a two way street. If financially possible (including a payment plan with the vet, home equity loan, credit card, etc.) AND the surgery is predicted to work, I think they should.

That said, I have a relative who won't spend $1000 on surgery so that her dog can regain use of its back legs. She says, "it's a dog and she's 11" as though that explains why she won't??? It makes me sick.

Obviously people view these situations differently. But to me, I would if I could if the dog was predicted to have a good quality of life after the surgery. It's a sad predicament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs