Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM

206 posts, read 450,166 times

Advertisements

I am not just ranting. I was a vet tech and spent many years working and volunteering at animal shelters.

I saw way more aggressive, boxers, and cocker spaniels than I did Pits.

Again, it is not the breed. It is the owners and what they turn the dog into.

Pits are not by nature aggressive. Yes, they are extremely strong which is why when they are aggressive it is so serious. And that is true for many large breeds. The German Shepherd is closley related to a wolf and their bite is extremely deadly. That's the point I was making about that breed.

And it is a fact the labs have a very high incident of reported bites. And it is increasing due to it's popularity and over breeding.

I'm saying you can't condem or ban an entire breed of dog. There are many pitties at my dog park and whenever I see a dog starting a scuffle it usually is not the pit.

Why is it so hard to grasp that an entire breed of dog is not bad.

Here is an article supporting the fact that labs are right up there on the bite list. Should we ban Labs too?
Survey finds few dogs actually bite people (http://www.dogexpert.com/IndexAbstracts/Dog%20BiteBehavior%20News/Articles/SurveyFewdogbitepeople.html - broken link)

Last edited by Ruby24; 10-03-2009 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 10-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Something I just read as well is the kind of dog that bit the woman in France who had to have a face transplant was a Labrador Retriever.

Can you imagine the outrage against Pitties if it was one of them that bit her?

Old 10-03-2009, 02:50 PM

one more article and then I'm done with this. Beware Labradors as well as pit bulls in summer bite season

Old 10-03-2009, 03:00 PM

691 posts, read 2,330,012 times
I lilke dogs, and have had 3 in my lifetime. But I agree, not everyone likes dogs. A dog needs to be on a leash, or in the yard. I don't like it when strange dogs come up to me at all. Even small ones. And if one was to threaten my daughter, yep...shoot to kill.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,933,252 times
After reading this thread, it has dawned on me I have been bitten by a LOT of dogs in my lifetime!! beagle, doberman, terrier, mixedshepard/something, but the scariest incident I had was when I was running on our local bike trail and came upon a black lab who just stood in my way and stared at me menacingly. I have been around many black labs, and they were all super friendly, but this one sure wasn't. I was afraid to turn my back to him and try to go home, but he just kept circling me so I couldn't get away. Luckily I was to where the trail crossed my road, and I actually flagged down a car to get something between me and him. The driver offered to give me a lift home, but the dog finally wandered off enough so I felt safe enough to run home. I've been a little afraid of dogs ever since then, which never happened to me after the times I was actually bit!!
mrs.cool

Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,877,165 times
Sorry ,Ruby24,but statistics don't lie....pits are natural born killers....bred for fighting.....in case you didn't look at it,I'll give you pit bull site again...
Click here: Pitbull Attacks, Maulings, and Killings

Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Sorry ,Ruby24,but statistics don't lie....pits are natural born killers....bred for fighting......
Oh my you just don't get it.

They were originally bred to fight other dogs not people. They can but not always be dog aggressive.

I have in my home now a Dogo Argentino that was bred from fighting dogs and were used to hunt and kill wild boar.

You should see her curled up on the couch with my chichihua. A more loving dog you would never come across.

In the wrong hands she would be a killing machine.

That is my point. You just don't see it, I guess.

I said I was done but I can't help myself.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times
Is this the pet forum or are we trying to help out a guy that has a problem with the neighbors?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,863,210 times
check this out folks

before i left for work i asked the guy if the dog was mean and he said no, i believe him, especially since the hovajova nitwits came by and walked right up past the dog today

Old 10-04-2009, 02:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
check this out folks

before i left for work i asked the guy if the dog was mean and he said no, i believe him, especially since the hovajova nitwits came by and walked right up past the dog today
So it's possible that he's growling at you because he's being protective of the kids. I guess you're going to have go over there and meet him and find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs