Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,629,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I can just picture the looks I'm going to get when I pick up my dog's mess from the ground and I put it in my pocket to save for later. One of the down sides to living in a condo complex
Imagine the looks you will get if you just let it lie. Just bring a ziplock sandwich bag along. We always bring a bag to be kind to the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,428,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Imagine the looks you will get if you just let it lie. Just bring a ziplock sandwich bag along. We always bring a bag to be kind to the neighbors.
Haha, I always clean up after my dog. I mean I usually take it right to the garbage cans we have all around my complex. This time I won't be doing that

Old 10-06-2009, 08:35 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
What a great looking little dog, congratulations!
Don't forget a heartworm test. You can't start heartworm preventative without first having a negative test.
I take urine cups from my job and when a dog poops, get a stick or something and put a sample in the cup. Label the dog's name (with your last name) and time and date of collection with a marker, and then put it in a plastic bag in the fridge. Yes, the fresher the more accurate.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
How cute your new dog is!
Good luck with your new companion and thanx for choosing a shelter dog. They are the absolute best! They will thank you forever!
Also, good luck with the vet visit, it should not amount to a big bill.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,908,039 times
What a cute little guy!

Can't help you much with how the Vet works in the US as I'm in Oz BUT I thought I'd mention a couple of things I've noted with regard to the dogs themselves and going to the Vet.

I've taken a few different dogs to the vets over the years and they all react a little differently but a couple of times now I've noted that the dog will be all excited that you're out on a "trip" together right up until they get close to the door and can "smell" where they're going, or perhaps it's hearing the other animals, anyway it's not unusual for the mutt to be prancing along up the path and then come to a grinding halt and refuse to budge just before you get in the door. With a smaller dog it's not so difficult to pick them up and carry them in but with bigger boofs, like my dog, it's a little harder.
I always take some kibble or treats in my pocket to "encourage" him in the door.

Once we're inside the reaction can vary but be aware that there could be all manner of exciting and interesting and scary things going on from an animal's perspective.

It's not unusual for us to get inside the vets and discover that there are cats or other dogs in the waiting room. For that reason we always attend the vet with the gentle leader on AND I keep the mutt on a very short leash. Once we're inside I let them know we're here and then I sit down away from the other animals and get him to sit too. I talk to him calmly and praise him a lot for sitting still. If other animals come to say hello, I'll let him but I still keep him on a short leash and I do my best not to let him get over excited. And even with all that be aware that you may well have a beautifully behaved dog yourself but other animals in the waiting room might not be on their best behaviour. Don't forget they might be scared and nervous too. You've got to remain alert.

Once you're inside the exam room it's quite possible that your dog is not going to want to be there AT ALL. All dogs react differently. My Gran's dog (a small fluffy little guy) would growl and bark like a savage the minute he was in the consult room. My own dog is happy enough to see the vet, if somewhat nervous, right up until the bit where the Vet starts the examine him then he lets his displeasure be known.
Because the vet might want to take the dog's temp (which will mean a thermometer up the bum) or give them a shot or even checking the dogs ears can be upsetting for them sometimes, it's worth being prepared to have to restrain them firmly and there's no shame in asking for a muzzle if you're uncertain how the dog will react.

After suffering through numerous bites myself and also having had the Vet get bitten I always ask for the muzzle now and when we put it on him I always make sure to praise him for being such a good dog and I talk to him quietly and always stroke him and do my best to keep him calm while he has it on. He doesn't like it much BUT it does make him much easier to handle, particularly if he's having a shot, so it's much safer for him too.

Once the exam is over it's easy enough to get the muzzle off him and I always make sure that he gets a treat for being such a good dog and heaps of praise too. AND luckily I have a great Vet so he always makes sure to pat him and "make friends" again after the exam also.

Where ever I can I try to make the Vet experience a good one for my dog and my Vet is great and very gentle and kind but the only way for a dog to let you know they don't like something is by growling, barking and biting if they have to so being prepared for that, makes all the difference.

After the Vet I like to take the mutt for a special walk somewhere REALLY interesting with lots of smells OR spend some extra time playing with him OR just sitting with him and extra treats after the fact. My rationale being that if he can associate this thing he doesn't like with good things after the fact he might resign himself to getting it over and done with easier.

Hope all goes well with it.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 856 times
I was given a 2year old dog by a family member and she hasn't had any shot. I'm trying to find out what and how many shot or tests she needs?

Old 09-21-2014, 04:47 PM

246 posts, read 279,183 times
What a cute dog and I love that you saved him from the pound. I agree with what others said about the office fee being a starting cost. Everything else will be added. Good luck with you new addition

Old 09-21-2014, 05:57 PM

9,880 posts, read 14,145,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post

As far as the pet insurance, I don't know about that for sure either, but I'd assume that it would be the same as a human that has insurance going to see a doctor. You will just have to pay whatever they don't cover. Also, do you know if there are certain vets that will or will not take that insurance? Is there a list of vets that will except it? Again, I don't know how that works, all vets could take that insurance for all I know, but just to be safe, if you haven't already, you should check that out and see if there is a list of vets that will take that insurance.
Pet insurance is not like human insurance. You need to pay everything upfront and then submit for whatever is reimbursable.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demi Yarborough View Post
I was given a 2year old dog by a family member and she hasn't had any shot. I'm trying to find out what and how many shot or tests she needs?
The easiest thing to do would be to call your local PetSmart or Petco and ask if they have a vaccine/vet clinic. It's usually pretty cheap and they can tell you what you should get.

They're usually a traveling vet service who does these, so they'd have the same training as a vet clinic.

I like to go to a local vet, because I want a relationship with them, and my vet is actually really reasonable, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs