Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

Beesley and I took a trip to the vet's office yesterday for his Bordatella shot and a chance for me to ask his vet a long list of questions I've been saving up for 6 months (yes, it has been almost 6 months since I've had The Beeze!).

Up first: his shot. He did great! No discomfort. All he did was look at me like "why are you letting this strange man touch me?!"

Next: I asked the doc about his allergies. Beesley's constantly scratching, despite being put on a grain free diet. Doc suggested Benadryl (which I've tried before, and it knocked him out cold) and a low-dose perscription drug. I left the paper at home so I don't have the name of it. I remember him telling me it's what they give to human patients who have undergone kidney transplants. He suggested I research it on my own before getting the perscription filled, since the first month costs around $60.

Last: Anal gland horror! All I said was "Beesley's a bum scooter", and the next thing I know, the nurse is holding Beeze down, the doctor has rubber gloves on and Beeze is literally screaming on the exam table. Doc looks at me during it and says "They're SO full...","Wow, they're really bad." and "We're going to need to evacuate the room"...

Yes, we had to evacuate.

I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. I might have been even more traumatized than Beeze...

I was told to come back in a month to get them expressed again. I might have them take him to the back to do them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I would suggest you start an elimination diet for the itching. You have to systematically remove ONE element from his food for a few weeks, i.e., NO lamb as a protein source or NO chicken, etc. That's better than starting an immunosuppresive drug, which has other inherent problems along with it.

And you can learn to express the anal glands yourself. There are many videos on YouTube about how to do this.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

oh poor little beezy!!

hope he got some extra treats and cuddles when y'all got home......

i know that when i had to have bailey's done, she could NOT believe that i was stopping at the counter to PAY those people for what they just did to her......

Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
IMO there is no fouler stench than anal gland secretion. lmao!!! I'm sorry, but I just couldn't do that to any of my own dogs. I have always brought them to the vet or the groomers for that. Poor Beesley must be feeling MUCH better having them cleaned out. Especially if they were packed so full you had to evacuate the room!!!!!!!! >gag face!!!<

Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I would suggest you start an elimination diet for the itching. You have to systematically remove ONE element from his food for a few weeks, i.e., NO lamb as a protein source or NO chicken, etc. That's better than starting an immunosuppresive drug, which has other inherent problems along with it.

And you can learn to express the anal glands yourself. There are many videos on YouTube about how to do this.
He's on a limited ingredient diet already--grain free with just two ingredients: venison and sweet potato. He rarely (maybe once a week) gets a TINY taste of table food, but other than that, he gets fresh veggies and fruit maybe once every two days. I just don't see how his diet is a factor for his allergies. I'm VERY careful with what I give him now, but he still is constantly scratching and digging at his ears, eyes, back, stomach, etc.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
IMO there is no fouler stench than anal gland secretion. lmao!!! I'm sorry, but I just couldn't do that to any of my own dogs. I have always brought them to the vet or the groomers for that. Poor Beesley must be feeling MUCH better having them cleaned out. Especially if they were packed so full you had to evacuate the room!!!!!!!! >gag face!!!<
My own allergies have been acting up lately to the point where I have no sense of smell. Thank goodness I didn't smell anything yesterday! I feel bad for the other two

Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
It's so worth the $ to have them express the glands, and they always take the dog "in the back" to do it. They also wash her butt (not just the scented spray, but a little shampoo/H2O and rinse) after the procedure. I started doing this after we had to "evacuate" many years ago. Ewwww, just thinking about it makes me gag!!! I have no idea how the techs and groomers get through their days having to do this, but I'm glad they provide the service!!!

OP, I am also struggling with probable allergies. My vet suggested a process where I would feed the dog a specific food (kangaroo and oats) and then gradually add, via strict process, other foods to see if it's a specific food element that she is allergic to. It's so strict that she can't even have her chewable heartworm pill (she would have to get her dose via another method, shot maybe?). Another possibility is a referral to dermatologist for allergy tests and then desensitization. I'm not sure which the vet wants me to do first, I believe the food process which takes about 2 - 3 months. I can't do the food process yet b/c I am working on behavior issues using food rewards and we agreed this is the priority right now. For now, we just finished a steriod taper (but her situation was quite severe), and now I give her hydroxizine (sp?) which is an antihistimine, for itching. I believe she is developing a tolerance to it, and it no longer knocks her out like it did when she first took it.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

oh poor little beezy!!

hope he got some extra treats and cuddles when y'all got home......

i know that when i had to have bailey's done, she could NOT believe that i was stopping at the counter to PAY those people for what they just did to her......
Sadly, he did not. I had an appointment for some people from church to come over (remember, Beeze does not do well with strangers), and he cowered in the corner the whole time, trembling. I figured if he was kept away from the company, he'd do better, but nope! He still was just as scared.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Beesley and I took a trip to the vet's office yesterday for his Bordatella shot and a chance for me to ask his vet a long list of questions I've been saving up for 6 months (yes, it has been almost 6 months since I've had The Beeze!).

Up first: his shot. He did great! No discomfort. All he did was look at me like "why are you letting this strange man touch me?!"

Next: I asked the doc about his allergies. Beesley's constantly scratching, despite being put on a grain free diet. Doc suggested Benadryl (which I've tried before, and it knocked him out cold) and a low-dose perscription drug. I left the paper at home so I don't have the name of it. I remember him telling me it's what they give to human patients who have undergone kidney transplants. He suggested I research it on my own before getting the perscription filled, since the first month costs around $60.

Last: Anal gland horror! All I said was "Beesley's a bum scooter", and the next thing I know, the nurse is holding Beeze down, the doctor has rubber gloves on and Beeze is literally screaming on the exam table. Doc looks at me during it and says "They're SO full...","Wow, they're really bad." and "We're going to need to evacuate the room"...

Yes, we had to evacuate.

I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. I might have been even more traumatized than Beeze...

I was told to come back in a month to get them expressed again. I might have them take him to the back to do them...
hmm...my college roommate used to say this all the time!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 AM

The vet called last night to see how Beeze was doing. He's so in to me (in my dreams!) HAHAHA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs