Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:39 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,378,145 times

Advertisements

I just find it ironic that the people who do the most complaining and b****ing about shelter dogs and their poor station in life usually own purebred dogs themselves. Why don't they rescue a mixed breed from an animal shelter and put their attitudes where their mouth is?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,391,751 times
We have a wonderful little Pekingese, I adore him but, I would love a "puggle" just as much. We like to tease our dog and tell him he's really a mix between a chow and a houd 'cause he's a real "chowhound". I'm not much for "designer breeds" but, I have to say I really like the "puggle" a lot.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I did sign a contract stating that I would neuter my puppy. He has an appointment when we return from vacation at the end of the month. I also received a health guarantee and was told if anything comes up within the first year of life, he would refund my money and take my puppy back. He also said if at anytime (no matter what age of my dog), if for some reason I couldn't care for him, he would take the dog back. He was also tested for eyes, hips and heart....not sure about elbows...I can't find that anywhere.

Thanks for the compliments on my puppy.
Hey Girl.....thanks for the verification.
It was not actually the puppy I was speaking of... depending on age, he would be too young, (usually at 18 months, at least for the big guys) but the parents. They usually have OFA certifications.

Again...thanks for the verification Again....not picking on you...you were just the brave one!

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 10-10-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,125,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
TexasGirl@Heart...Please know I'm not picking on you...you just happen to be the only one who came forward to say you bought your adorable baby from a breeder. Out of curiosity...did you sign a contract, get a health guarantee,were the parents tested and did you get confirmation that eyes, hips, elbows and hearts were all tested and passed and was your baby neutered/spayed? I'm just trying to understand all of this and again, I think your little one is adorable!
I haven't posted on this thread because of all the posts about "idiots". Mod cut: Personal attack

I bought a mixed breed. I paid $350 for him and I don't give a fig that some consider him "designer". He's our pet. He had the qualities that I couldn't find at the shelter (my oldest has severe allergies) within the time frame that I wanted to get a dog (before school started so my oldest would have time to train him). The breeder we purchesed from breeds mainly purebred Bichon Frise and Havanese. Her dogs are well cared for and are not caged. The hybrid that I purchased is the only non-purebred dog that she breeds - a Shih Tzu/Bichon mix. I also received health confirmation of the eyes, hips, heart, etc. - also confirmed by my vet. And she offers a health guarantee for a year.

He's the perfect dog for our family. He doesn't shed, my son isn't allergic (she allowed me to bring him to test for allergies), he's very friendly with both people and other animals and was so easy to crate train/house train. I have no complaints at all. I feel for shelter dogs, as I have volunteered at our no kill shelter, but one just didn't work for us this time. I do plan to adopt a Golden or 2 in the future from a rescue in NC. But that is neither here nor there. Thankfully, people here in TN must have better manners because whenever we are at PetSmart or the dog park or the local trail that we frequent several times a week, no one has screamed at us or cringed noticably. In fact, most people think he's adorable.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-10-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I haven't posted on this thread because of all the posts about "idiots". Mod cut: personal attack

I bought a mixed breed. I paid $350 for him and I don't give a fig that some consider him "designer". He's our pet. He had the qualities that I couldn't find at the shelter (my oldest has severe allergies) within the time frame that I wanted to get a dog (before school started so my oldest would have time to train him). The breeder we purchesed from breeds mainly purebred Bichon Frise and Havanese. Her dogs are well cared for and are not caged. The hybrid that I purchased is the only non-purebred dog that she breeds - a Shih Tzu/Bichon mix. I also received health confirmation of the eyes, hips, heart, etc. - also confirmed by my vet. And she offers a health guarantee for a year.

He's the perfect dog for our family. He doesn't shed, my son isn't allergic (she allowed me to bring him to test for allergies), he's very friendly with both people and other animals and was so easy to crate train/house train. I have no complaints at all. I feel for shelter dogs, as I have volunteered at our no kill shelter, but one just didn't work for us this time. I do plan to adopt a Golden or 2 in the future from a rescue in NC. But that is neither here nor there. Thankfully, people here in TN must have better manners because whenever we are at PetSmart or the dog park or the local trail that we frequent several times a week, no one has screamed at us or cringed noticably. In fact, most people think he's adorable.
Mod cut: orphaned text: text to which this refers has been cut

I am glad you found a puppy that fits in with your familys lifestyle.
Again, to clarify...In speaking of health confirmations...I'm not talking about those that come from a vet. OFA - Orthopedic Foundation for Animals does testing to confirm health on hips, eyes, elbows and heart. And dogs under the age of 18 months can be tested, but not certified since they are not fully grown. So puppies would not have been done.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-10-2009 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Hey Girl.....thanks for the verification.
It was not actually the puppy I was speaking of... depending on age, he would be too young, (usually at 18 months, at least for the big guys) but the parents. They usually have OFA certifications.

Again...thanks for the verification Again....not picking on you...you were just the brave one!
I am looking at my health guarantee right now..
It states...
-if my puppy develops a genetic disorder w/in one year of puppy's date of birth, the breeder will request a written report from a licensed vet with proof of disorder, or in the event of an early death, will require an necropsy report...then if buyer chooses to keep puppy, a refund of 50% of purchase price will be made, but only made once the vet provides a spayed/neutered certificate so said puppy cannot be breeded down the line.
-should buyer choose to relinquish ownership of puppy to breeder, then a replacement puppy will be provided to buyer.
-both sire and dam have been tested and are free of PRA, hypoplasia of dens, patellar luxation and legg-calve-perthes syndrome. Both sire and dam do not exhibit any signs of liver shunting or lymphangiectasia.
-be aware that your new puppy is prone to:
hypoglycemia--caused by fasting. Please feed your puppy in small frequent meals.
cataracts
bronchitis
tracheal collapse--be wary of tight collars and pulling on leash

So, I guess it wasn't my puppy that was tested but the parents. It does not state anywhere about my puppies parents having OFA certicates.

Other items not covered by the health guarantee are:
undescended testicle(s)
hernias
incorrect bite
ear stance
allergic reactions
hypoglycemia (this is a possible trait in tea cup, tiny, and toy breeds)

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 10-10-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Thankfully, people here in TN must have better manners because whenever we are at PetSmart or the dog park or the local trail that we frequent several times a week, no one has screamed at us or cringed noticably. In fact, most people think he's adorable.
People here in Pittsburgh must have better manners also (I wasn't referring to you Shelbygirl) because that has been my experience also. No matter where I take Watson, a crowd gathers around him, wanting to pet him, hold him. I get many compliments on his cuteness factor. Not ONE person has cringed and screamed at him "HALF-BREED"

I, too, have had my vet state how healthy he is and what a "good-looking pup" he is. He also remarked on Watson's behavior, which is exceptional!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I am looking at my health guarantee right now..
It states...
-if my puppy develops a genetic disorder w/in one year of puppy's date of birth, the breeder will request a written report from a licensed vet with proof of disorder, or in the event of an early death, will require an necropsy report...then if buyer chooses to keep puppy, a refund of 50% of purchase price will be made, but only made once the vet provides a spayed/neutered certificate so said puppy cannot be breeded down the line.
-should buyer choose to relinquish ownership of puppy to breeder, then a replacement puppy will be provided to buyer.
-both sire and dam have been tested and are free of PRA, hypoplasia of dens, patellar luxation and legg-calve-perthes syndrome. Both sire and dam do not exhibit any signs of liver shunting or lymphangiectasia.
-be aware that your new puppy is prone to:
hypoglycemia--caused by fasting. Please feed your puppy in small frequent meals.
cataracts
bronchitis
tracheal collapse--be wary of tight collars and pulling on leash

So, I guess it wasn't my puppy that was tested but the parents. It does not state anywhere about my puppies parents having OFA certicates.

Other items not covered by the health guarantee are:
undescended testicle(s)
hernias
incorrect bite
ear stance
allergic reactions
hypoglycemia (this is a possible trait in tea cup, tiny, and toy breeds)
Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out and sharing it with me (us).

PS...LOL...i can see enough of Texas for both of us!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
All of us are dog lovers, so we've got a lot of common ground. Why bicker? The important thing is that we were all able to find that one special dog that touches our heart, integrate it into our families, and love it unconditionally as it loves us. How could that be a bad thing?

Right on! I don't think Texasgirl needs to justify her puppy to anybody just because it isn't a purebred and didn't come from a pound.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,165,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Right on! I don't think Texasgirl needs to justify her puppy to anybody just because it isn't a purebred and didn't come from a pound.
Well said! I agree wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs